SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Depth of soil guard for growing mint? And sunlight needs for mint? 7A

katyajini
2 years ago

I have a spot in my garden where I can grow mint in the ground. It is open shade with afternoon sun. The soil is rich but draining and any mint I have planted there seems to be thriving. I would like to push (plastic) barriers into the soil around the area I allocate for the mint and also between different varieties, to prevent spreading. How deep must the barrier be realistically? At the moment I have access to 12, 8, 4 and 3 inch barriers, the shallower barriers being cheaper of course. As far as possible I would like to grow my herbs in the ground, it is a lot easier in my situation.

Also, ideally, how much sun does mint need for best growth and/or flavor? The mint I have growing in the ground gets a little more shade than the same variety in a large pot (Yerba buena/ sweet mint from Bonnie plants). The one in the shade *seems* to be growing a little slower than the one in the pot but that maybe it is still happily growing roots in the soil. Some plants do better with a little shade, so just wondering.

Regarding sunlight as well, I acquired two mint varieties, orange mint and lime mint that can have reddish/maroonish tint to the leaves and stems. Does more, or less, sun bring about the reddish color?

Thanks!!!!

Comments (9)