SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Too many dogs, not enough vets?

Sueb20
2 years ago

I wonder if this is the side effect of all those "pandemic puppies."

A week or so ago, our eldery dog was vomiting all over, then shaking and drooling, etc. I called our usual after-hours vet hospital, and they had a recording saying if you think your pet is having an emergency, bring him in. (It was after business hours but they are open 24/7 for emergencies.) I drove over and when the tech came out, she said they were turning people away because their wait was 2+ hours. She gave me a list of urgent care vets to call. So I called a few of them and they all said they had at least the same wait times, and that I'd be better off staying where I was. So long story short, we stayed, she was eventually seen and treated and recovered well.

Last year the same dog had a horrific eye infection that led to the removal of one eye. Her eye dr. said to be vigilant if her remaining eye ever looked suspicious because the other infection went so bad so quickly, it would be crucial for her to be seen right away. So, because this is Fri the 13th, around midday her eye was looking icky out of the blue. Tearing, red, and she was blinking a lot. DH called the hospital where her eye dr is, and they couldn't see her. They gave him another place to call, about an hour away. Nope, they can't see her. He proceeded to call about 7 other places. No availability. The only remaining option was the big animal hospital ER in the city, where there is no eye dr available but at least someone with a vet degree will look at her.

Partly this is a summer Friday, but last time it was a Wed evening. Are you experiencing vet "shortages" too, or is it just me?

Comments (20)