SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hms99

Side addition or rear addition?

Hannah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello again--I've posted twice previously with slight variations of questions related to remodeling (here and here). After mulling over a lot of the feedback here (it has been very helpful, thank you!), I think I've come up with a plan that might work...

Background: Live in KY, $100,000 budget, me, partner, MIL, and 1 year old (with potential for another little one in the future)

Goals:

• Guest bedroom and bath (my family is out of state)
  • Highlight indoor outdoor vibe
  • Highlight views
  • Laundry room/mudroom
  • Pantry
  • Open up living room to kitchen/dining
  • Screened in porch
  • Redo retaining wall around walkout basement

I think we are going to have to add an addition in order to achieve all our goals. Two options I've come up with below. Which would you chose (or is there another option...)?

Option #1: Side addition (approx. 12x22) - main floor only

Concerns: the reason we currently do not use our back deck is it is soooo hot in the evening. Would like to add a screened in porch off the back (which would hopefully help with the evening sun), but that seems like it would be an additional addition (and I'm really unclear what the roof line would look like). One thing I hate about our current dining room is it always feels like it's in a walking path (and I'm constantly stubbing my toe)--would that be the case here, do you suppose, or would there be enough room around the table to circulate easily? No laundry room sink (but I suppose I can deal). We are doing an addition, but not taking advantage of building up (or down) to gain square footage in the basement or upstairs (maybe that's not a bad thing though?).

Option #2: Back addition (approx. 12x12) - addition would extend walkout out basement too (and the foundation of the addition could be a two-birds-one-stone situation in relation to fixing the retaining wall there).

Concerns: Unclear how the addition roof line would look on the back of the house (and if it could be extended to create a screened in porch)? The back deck (potentially screened in porch) would not be connected to the yard. Is the flow odd--is it strange that the kitchen is sort of off center from the living room? No laundry room sink (but I suppose I can deal). Would the door by the dining room create circulation issues? Should I move the stairs on the porch to align with the mudroom entrance?

Comments (16)