SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engprof

better location for door/porch off addition?

EngProf
11 years ago

Your comments have helped with my floorplans. Now I have a specific, smaller question.

Spouse says I must put a "sitting" porch on the addition w/ room for a couple of Adirondacks or rocking chairs. I need to figure out which location for our porch will look prettier: off the side-rear, or off the rear-rear. Main concern is aesthetics. (Drawing of house/addition below)

House is a 1.5 story Cape Cod, 35' w x 25' deep. The addition can only go another 13' wide, so we're going back 35 or 36 deep. Existing patio is brick laid in sand.

Option 1:

Porch off *side* of addition, nestled near existing exterior wall of den. Is close to the den's only window. Maybe creates a more integrated courtyard effect in back of house? Negatives: Porch is visible from den window ... will it look cluttered? If the porch has a roof, will it be even more of an obstruction (site lines, light)?

Option 2:

Porch on far rear of the addition, looking straight into the backyard, with a good 20'-25' before the privacy fence. Gives our in-law a private use of rear yard, but not such a big deal since we rarely all use the yard/patio at the same time. Negative: Will having the door/porch way on the back be weird for future owner?

No matter what, the den's window is going to lose some site lines and light. Is it actually prettier to see the porch area instead of looking at 10' of wall? (Because there will be a wall, with maybe just one window, and 2 AC compressors if I don't move them.)

Thoughts?

Comments (5)