SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shead

Here goes nothing....remodeling/addition plan ready for critique

shead
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've been a longtime lurker of GW and Houzz and have quite a bit of BTDT experience in the last 20+ years of building and remodeling. Our family (DH, me, 4 kids still at home) just left our suburban home and headed to the "sticks" to live on our 950 acre cattle farm that DH operates. We purchased a small ranch home previously owned by a family member that sits on the farm. Due to space limitations, the age/condition of the home, our family's needs for homeschooling, etc., we are planning to add onto the existing house and gut remodel the rest. It'll be a massive project that will require us to move temporarily into a mobile home also located on the farm.

I know this plans breaks some design "rules" but in thinking long and hard about our family's lifestyle and needs, I think this plan suits those. However, I'm not ruling out some tweaks that others may see that I'm blind to.

Before this thread gets rolling, though, here's a few ground rules, non-negotiables, and details about the plan and our family:

1) Before someone says, "get an architect", I hear you, BUT those are located HOURS away from our home and I don't really think one is necessary for this. I have a designer/draftsperson (gasp!) lined up to CAD this for me. However, I'm a pretty particular and controlling person and turning over total creative control goes against my nature, for better or for worse. If we were building from scratch in a different location on the farm, then it would be a different story.

2) Yes, this will cost a lot to do and we might be better tearing down but I think there's enough value still left for what we paid to make this work. Plus, there are some tenuous family dynamics (extended family) that would make tearing down and rebuilding not in our long-term best interest.

3) The current house is a 1970's rectangular ranch whose footprint lies within the red/dashed area shown on the plan. It has a basement underneath and we plan to extend the basement area to include the 32' x 35' addition to the left rear of the home. This will give us a 2 car garage and mud area in the basement.

4) Location of basement stairs cannot be moved.

5) We have 2 boys and 2 girls. The boys will use the hall bathroom and we are adding on a girls' ensuite bath and walk-in closet. Eventually, I predict that our youngest son will end up in the bedroom with the ensuite long-term once the other three are grown and gone. We are opting to not have another half bath on the main level because there is a full bathroom located in the basement. My hope is to try to direct the boys to that bathroom for showers, etc. so that the hall bath can stay relatively clean.

6) The house faces mainly west. The beautiful views of the farm are located to the rear (east) and end (south). We are foregoing a garage on the main level and opting for a carport because we need to maintain views to the south where our barn is located and where we keep our weaned calves.

7) The basement garage will enter from the left end (north) side of house because of topography; therefore, the addition is 32' long on that end to accommodate 2 larger vehicles (SUV and 3500 series truck) plus mud area/stairs.

8) We homeschool three of our children so I incorporated a homeschool office/storage area into the laundry area. My thinking was that by making the space one large space versus two separate rooms, I can keep a better eye on laundry and also, the space will convert more easily to a crafting/sewing space for me once the kids are grown.

9) We are a very informal family with informal relatives and friends. We want a comfortable space with lots of storage. We don't dine formally so family meals will be at the island most likely.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Comments (27)