SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjay27

Please Critique My House Plan

cjay27
12 years ago

I have been a regular reader of this forum for quite a while now. I have been amazed by the wisdom and insight of some of the regular posters on this forum. I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have on this house plan.

First I should give you a bit of background info. We live on a farm on the canadian prairies. We plan to build a rtm (ready to move) home which is why the home is a somewhat narrow . We have 4 kids. Two are married and on their own. One is in college who comes and goes and one is still in high school and lives with us full time. As our kids are all older and will soon (hopefully) all be out on their own. We have designed the house with just the two of us in mind, with the living areas large enough to accomodate everyone when they all come home for Christmas etc. Although I am not posting the basement plans, there will be 4 bedrooms in the basement to accomodate everyone. The dining rm and family rm face south and the house is a total of 2037 sq ft. We wanted the house to be practical and highly functional with lots of natural light especially in the main living areas. I should also mention that the "storage room" is really a laundry/utility room. I plan to put my extra fridge and deep freeze in that room as well. The room I struggled with the most was the family rm and I'm still not sure I got it right!

Although the house seems to have most everything we wanted, I find myself terrified to actually commit to building it. I wish I could wander thru it in real life and live in it a bit first but since I can't I am relying on the good folks here on this forum to give me some feedback, positive or negative including general opinions of rtm homes. Thanks for your time in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: My House Plan

Comments (5)