SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toronto_veterinarian

Thank you gift for generous and helpful neighbours?

My wonderful young(er) neighbours at my cottage have agreed to do my seasonal outdoor maintenance, which I hate: snow removal and mowing the lawn. My property is small, and I can mow and weed whack the yard in about an hour, but it seems to be raining (or just rained) on every weekend, which is the only time I can be there on a regular basis. I've been stressed about being unable to mow the lawn up there because of my schedule and the weather. They have a riding mower, and I've told them they can use my (ordinary) lawn mower and weed whacker.

They have a big snow machine to clear roads on their property, which is more than enough for my 40' of driveway. They had previously offered, unprompted, to clear my driveway for me (I think when they found out I live alone) and refused payment, so I gave them a gift card to the gas station on occasion. Now they've agreed to add lawn mowing - I offered to hire them, but they refused money.

I only know these neighbours through the times they've helped me out -- they are very generous with their time and labour, and seem like a lovely young couple. I asked them to help me move my dock in last October, but they did all the work ;) They even texted me when my fire alarm was malfunctioning and sounding off, and went in to pull the battery. They have never asked my help or advice, but I feel I owe it to them to return their generosity somehow. Money was not "neighbourly", I guess.

So, what can I do? All I know about them personally is that they don't drink, he's in school for aeronautic engineering, and they live on on a huge family plot. A steady supply of baked goods (mine are good, but not award winning)? Gift cards for gas or Amazon? Having them over for dinner just doesn't seem enough.

Comments (12)