SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillmkennedy

Kitchen/Living Space Layout dilemma!

jillmkennedy
2 years ago

My husband and I disagree about which layout to choose for our upcoming remodel (1960s U-shaped kitchen with two dining areas).

Our house is a split entry, represented by the white box on the lower left side. We want to keep the living room and kitchen separate and taking down the center wall is not an option. We want the

We have 2 little kids and like to host friends. I used Ikea software out of convience, so not everything lines up, but it is to scale, and the window place is accurate.

We both like the general island layout, but I want the kitchen on the right side, which I think gives much better flow and is better for furniture layout in the living room. My husband wants the kitchen on the left, with the home/kid office in the living space against the stair railing. He says that this is better for hosting, and keeps the kitchen/dining more out of site from visitors.

The secong issure are the windows/doors that lead to the backyard. I want all of the window openings to be the same size, with the outside openings being sliding doors (2 total sliding doors. The grill and outdoor dining is on the right). We would need to expand the window in the middle to mimmic the doors. My husband wants to have only one set of doors- the current far right, while keeping the small center window as-is, and the left window simply a window. This is mainly to keep the project from spilling out into the yard, since we would need to pour 2 concrete steps outside, plus move the hose.

Before we start talking with a contractor we would love to have input from this design-minded community. Thank you!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH