SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillian_althoff

Kitchen design dilemma...space for small table or pantry cabinets??

Jillian A
3 years ago

**Background: Hi! My husband and I are in the middle of redesigning our kitchen/eat-in area and have spent lots of time pondering different layouts and ideas and are finally getting down to the final details, but we are stuck with which direction to go.

We investigated opening up a load bearing wall between the kitchen and front room but unfortunately it is full in several spots with HVAC making that too costly to deal with. Our hopes of having the space more open and having an island with seating on the front room side was washed down the drain. The only other possible layout we can think of is doing a double L design. We lack cabinets and drawer space in our current small kitchen with only having cabinets on a small L. We are trying to spread out our working triangle (the sink, fridge and oven/stove) so that we aren't constantly bumping into each other while working in the kitchen. That has left us with a larger open space in-between the double L layout, but we still didn't really gain any good floor to ceiling cabinets to serve as our pantry. Our house was built in 1965 and lacks some of the desired kitchen storage solutions. Unfortunately there aren't any good spaces we can borrow from an adjoining room without having to do major renovations such as relocate a half bath, HVAC, etc. That is out of our budget and neighborhood value.

**Problem and Question: In adding some floor to ceiling cabinets to the design we are making our eat in area smaller and now run into the dilemma of possibly not having room for a smaller table. We are a family of 5 and ALWAYS eat our meals at the table together. We are moving our current large kitchen table to a new dining room area making it available for us to still be able to sit down and enjoy our meals together. We do however still want to have something for the kitchen so we can have somewhere to sit and be together in that space for those quicker, less involved meals. I have put together two proposed designs but need your input. One has the full wall of cabinets on the left in the old dining room area, while the second layout leaves a couple of the tall cabinets, but then eliminates some to push the smaller table over and open up the walking area a bit more. We are open to any ideas or suggestions, or if you think our double L layout needs adjusting feel free to share your thoughts. We are open to different table shapes, designs, whatever. We don't want to feel cramped but at the same time would love to still be able to hang on to our floor to ceiling cabinets. Thanks in advance and let me know if there is something I am missing or need to clarify. (I have included a top view of both layouts along with a full Ikea software 3D design layout of the whole pantry wall for more clarification.)

Thanks in advance for your time and input! :)

Current/Existing First Floor Plan

Proposed Addition of Mudroom and Moving Large Kitchen Table to Smaller Backroom with Fireplace

Proposed Kitchen Design Layouts:

Top view with full wall of floor to ceiling cabinets (potential for table in front of window?)

Top view with more space for kitchen table

Comments (9)