SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

'Mel's Heritage' in August

jerijen
2 years ago

After a long spring flush, 'Mel's Heritage' is beginning to open a second flush of blooms, and it makes me so happy.

One of the great things about knowing that Burlington Rose Nursery has been saved is knowing that roses like this will continue to be available.

Comments (59)

• roseseek
    2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose here, unless you religiously deadhead it, there will be NO rebloom, period. But, there will ALWAYS be mildew!

• User
    2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose It seems you can expect about 10 X 10 feet, based on how mine does here.

• Related Discussions

Mel's Heritage: It should be the OGR of the future

Q

Comments (59)
    Lisa, in my admittedly limited experience (I've tried ALMcD several times; long story), Annie Laurie McDowell does better grafted than on its own roots. You still have to keep it from blooming until it is the size you want. I think I'm going to let mine start blooming next year since it is getting close. That will be year 4. Oh, and all my roses get weekly watering until they are established, even ones that will eventually be watered less frequently.
    ...See More

‘Mel’s Heritage’ 2018

Q

Comments (32)
    Yours is looking good, Sheila! I love your bright coral bud! Some of mine that are more shaded by other canes and other plants are a deeper coral like yours, too. I’m also seeing some larger blooms this flush than I’ve seen before. Mine is still rather young, although it’s hard to believe from the size of it! I remember wondering the first year, if it would EVER bloom! It turns out, MH just wanted out of that container ASAP! As soon as my son planted him, he grew and bloomed very quickly. I’m now eyeing these hundreds of blooms and hoping they won’t need to be deadheaded. Jeri, will a good shake or blast with the hose be good enough to dislodge any remaining spent petals? I can’t imagine cutting each cluster off. There are FAR too many for that. I’m already grateful the drip system is watering Mel’s Heritage, because it’s difficult to get to the base, the way he tumbles down the slope. I’m SO glad I’m not dragging the hose up there to water him anymore. Jeri, it makes me very happy to see you possibly offer Jo a start of ‘Mel’s Heritage’! I do so want her to have him again! Lisa
    ...See More

Mel's Heritage is blooming

Q

Comments (4)
    How beautiful!!! Mine is in too much shade 😠and i May just have to give it away . I’m so happy for you that’s it’s blooming already!
    ...See More

How's your Mel's Heritage doing?

Q

Comments (29)
    "She might get pitched if she doesn't shape up!" You've stated that you're in zone 5, and its been determined that a climate as cold as yours is at the very edge of the range in which 'Mel's Heritage' will grow (beyond its range, actually). Its not going to make a big sprawling climber like it does in warmer zones, so if that is what you're expecting, I suggest you get rid of it now and plant something proven to grow large in a zone 5 climate. I find it odd that a rose with a male named still gets referred to as "she"!
    ...See More
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you, Paul. It helps to know that yours is 10’ x 10’. I have kept Mel’s H on my wish list for years and am still wishing. Jeri’s gorgeous photo (plus Lisa’s earlier ones) are very seductive! I dug up and gifted a lot of my roses since I am downsizing my shoehorned garden, adding native plants and bracing for global warming with its pressure on water usage. I am treating my remaining roses like I do books in my library, if one comes in then one goes out. Mel’s H would be an amazing rose to experience in my garden if I could just find a spot for a swap! I suspect I may be contacting Burling for an order soon…. Carol

• User
    2 years ago

Mel's Heritage is really a magnificent rose, and I just want to thank Paul for creating and giving us such a lovely thing! It seems to me one of the finest things you can do in life is to make something beautiful and then share it with others. Not only are Mel's flowers gorgeous and PROLIFIC in all kinds of weather, all season long, but the foliage and habit are beautiful, graceful, and completely healthy (here in black-spot land). What I did want to add to this discussion is a shout-out to all colder-zoners: I'm in zone 6 NJ (not sure if A or B, but we certainly get single digit F temperatures, and occasionally 0 or a little below). I've grown Mel, now, for maybe 8-10 years? My Mel is easily 10 x 10, maybe bigger; I get no die-back. He is planted in a somewhat sheltered spot (right by the house), and I did protect him in his first 2 winters here, but still. So I would definitely recommend that Mel is worth trying in colder areas! Incidentally, I now have a second Mel, grown on in a pot for a year, that I just planted out in a much less sheltered area (in front of my deer fence) so we'll see how that works out this winter. Anyway, thanks again Paul for this great rose!

• User
    2 years ago

@User

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm beyond pleased that this rose fares so well in so many different climates! I would never have expected it to be winter hardy in USDA Zone 6!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm surprised, but very happy to know that Mel's could do so well in a colder climate.

Now, SPREAD THE WORD, folks. It would be so wonderful to see this superb rose in wider commerce.

• User
    2 years ago

@jerijen "I'm surprised, but very happy to know that Mel's could do so well in a colder climate."

Me too. I assumed - years ago, when it was very new - that it wouldn't be very cold hardy, given that its bred from 'Crepuscule'. Maybe 'Crepuscule' has some tougher genes in it than I assumed.

It also seems to be quite drought tolerant: I have a plant of it out in the fenced-in part of the collection (if you can still call it that) where it hasn't received supplemental watering in over a decade (the irrigation failed in 2010). It doesn't exactly thrive (it stays small) but even now, in this torturous heat, its got blooms on it!

Because 'Mel's Heritage' has got such a good track record, I've decided to make a few plants of its sibling, 'Tajique' to offer next Spring. Think of it as a 3x3 foot rounded bush version of 'Mel's Heritage', with pale yellow-fading-to-ivory blooms of similar shape and fragrance.

• jacqueline9CA
    2 years ago

Oooohhh...Tajique sounds so lovely! Here in our zone 9 trending to 10, Mediterranean climate with clay based loam soil, all roses seem to get at least twice as big as they are said to. The only one I really have so far which stays a nice round bush at 3 x 3 feet is Little White Pet. Would love another one.

Jackie

• aerbk7b
    2 years ago

frances_in_nj — I’m in NYC 7b and long to grow Mel, so thanks so much for sharing your your NJ experiences growing it! Is yours in full sun, or…?

• roseseek
    2 years ago

Paul, Tajique is being EXTREMELY hesitant to put out much growth here. I am coddling it and like many, it wants to flower instead of growing, so I keep pinching buds. Fingers are crossed!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey! Send Tajique my way! It sounds like just what I need.

• roseseek
    2 years ago

@jerijen that's why I requested one, so I could push it and bud it. So far, nope. It doesn't have that extra "oomph" Mel's does.

• User
    2 years ago

@jerijen I will be in touch soon. :-)

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

T'anks Paul!

• User
    2 years ago

Arbk, my Mel is in full sun. And like I said, a somewhat sheltered spot right near the house. Since you are in 7b, I don't know whether or not this would be an issue for you, but I guess giving a little protection in its first 2 years couldn't hurt ...

Paul, I have been so much pleasantly surprised by Mel's hardiness! I think I risked it, initially, because HelpMeFind listed Mel as hardy to zone 6 (probably just the default). A lot of my other experiments in "zone denial" have been failures - roses that limp along for a few years even though I coddle them through the winter, and then ultimately die off. But Mel is just thriving. I do think protecting Mel for the first 2 winters or so might be important. I've experienced this with some other roses that are a little questionable in my zone, for example Climbing Pinkie. If I don't give them a little winter cover while they are getting established, they tend to die on me. But 2 winters seems to be the magic number - after that, I no longer protect my Pinkies OR my Mel, and they are all completely fine through even tough winters (knocking on wood that this continues ...)

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Frances, that is good info to know about Mel’s H in zone 6! Establishing plants can make a huuuge, difference, right? I hope others in zone 6 follow your lead and give this wonderful rose a try! I am rearranging my fall planting plan (again but hopefully finally) and looking hard for a place to put MH. Paul’s roses grow really well for me, so they are not only gorgeous and rewarding for the senses, they thrive in my no spray Portland garden. Could you share: How thorny is your Mel? I am debating between pathway and non pathway planting sites. Thank you for all the great details, Frances! Carol

• aerbk7b
    2 years ago

Frances — thank you! It sounds sadly like I don’t have a sunny enough spot for it. But saving your info for the future…

• User
    2 years ago

Carol, my Mel definitely has prickles! But I actually find even them to be charming (can you tell I'm besotted with this rose?) - they are sort of long and graceful. Of course, they hurt if you get stabbed by them, so maybe by a path is less than ideal. Though like I said, mine's right by the house, by the back steps that lead from our bedroom into the garden. And I don't mind the thorns in the slightest - its just such a delightful rose! Yes, zone 6-ers out there, give Mel a try!!! (Though I would advocate purchasing Mel in the spring rather than in fall in zone 6, so he has all summer to grow and start getting settled in).

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

FWIW, mine is planted on an arbor, by the front gate, so we pass close to it daily. The thorns don't bother me (but then, thorns never do bother me), I just think they're part of the whole package.

• californicus
    2 years ago

@jerijen Is your Mel's Heritage on its own roots or is it grafted? If grafted, what is the rootstock? Fabolous pics, BTW

• roseseek
    2 years ago

@californicus I'm unaware of anyone budding Mel's Heritage. It's one-quarter R. Wichurana and that is a WEED. It is what made Dr. Huey; New Dawn, and many of the other ramblers. Mel's Heritage roots easily and will layer itself in damp mulch or damp soil.

• User
    2 years ago

@californicus I'm 99.95% certain Jeri's plant is own-root. That's because as far as I am aware, nobody is grafting this at any of the nurseries where its available. There is no reason to graft it to another rootstock, as it has excellent roots on its own.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Californicus . . . It's on its own roots. It's performance tells me that it has no need for budding.

"Rootstock? Who needs Rootstock? I don't need no stinkin' rootstock!"

• californicus
    2 years ago

Thanks Paul, Jeri and Roseseek. Its great that the vigor is from the variety itself and not from the rootstock. I live in San Jose and looking for a climbing rose. I am totally awed by MH's pics from Jeri and Lisa! Follow up question - is it patented or is there any understanding that it will only be propagated commercially by approved sources?

• User
    2 years ago

@californicus "Follow up question - is it patented or is there any understanding that it will only be propagated commercially by approved sources?"

Is that relevant to your needs? Just curious why you'd ask.

• californicus
    2 years ago

I am a newbie to growing roses (actually haven't started), so I don't know the patent or other restrictions in trying to root a cutting. I wanted to check before I do that. I saw from the SJ Heritage website that they invited volunteers to help prune the roses. I thought it will be a good idea to visit one of these days to learn about roses, pruning, etc and wondered if I should request cuttings assuming there are no restrictions.

• User
    2 years ago

@californicus If the personnel at the SJHRG agree to allow you cuttings from it (assuming it requires pruning), then there is nothing to prevent you from rooting cuttings on your own. The variety is not patented.

• californicus
    2 years ago

Thanks @User for the confirmation. Also, for creating this beautiful rose! If SJHRG doesn't have cuttings available, I will just order one from Burlington. Seems like a very reputable nursery

• roseseek
    2 years ago

Burlington is absolutely reputable. Beyond reputable, beloved. Search the thread about Burlington needing a new well and you will see the evidence. Mel's Heritage roots well but it's commercially available from Burlington and should probably be purchased from her to help support the ONLY California source for the rose. There are plenty of other roses at The Heritage worth growing which are no longer in commerce, root well and are well worth growing.

• californicus
    2 years ago

Very convincing! There is absolutely value in supporting small-scale nurseries. From what I read from the forum, Burlington is one of the best in the business. I’ll order MH from them.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Second everything Paul said. DEFINITELY order from Burling -- who, in addition to everything else, has constantly supported the Heritage Roses Group. I am always happy to send folks her way.

• californicus
    2 years ago

I hope I am not derailing Jeri's thread. My daughter and I went to SJHRG today, expecting mostly defoliated/dormant plants. Thats mostly the case, but Mel's Heritage is still pushing flowers. Easily the most profilic bloomer in the whole garden today

The plant is pruned already. The flowers blooming at this time were just pink and I didn't get any fragrance whatsoever. Interestingly the 1-2 flowers on Cecile Brunner had an old rose scent. I really wanted to try what folks describe as "green apple" but too late in the season. The plant is very healthy and flowers are quite pretty though

• User
    2 years ago

"...went to SJHRG today, expecting mostly defoliated/dormant plants. Thats mostly the case, but Mel's Heritage is still pushing flowers."

Sounds right! My original 'Mel's Heritage' is the last rose of the season still flowering, most years. And to think that it almost got discarded in the culling process years ago! (Mel saved it and put it in the SJHRG, where it showed us what it could do)

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Paul's right. Without Mel's enthusiasm, this rose would have slipped through the cracks.

Paul, I'm just glad you gave it to the Heritage to test, because without that . . . What a loss that would have been!

Californicus -- GREAT report!

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    2 years ago

I just love this rose! I think I got mine in 2018 or 2019 and it continues to do well here. While we have had some milder winters, we always get a couple weeks of sub zero temps, as low as -20F. So glad it is available!

• User
    2 years ago

@Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland "While we have had some milder winters, we always get a couple weeks of sub zero temps, as low as -20F."

I am constantly amazed to learn that 'Mel's Heritage' does well in colder climates, like Chicago! That's mighty impressive, given its tender pedigree. Glad its doing well for you. Thanks.

• bellarosa
    2 years ago

I'm growing this rose in Zone 5b, NW Illinois (not too far from the Wisconsin border). I planted it last year, Fall 2021. This is my second attempt at growing it as the first one was killed by either a rabbit or deer - I don't know. It was eaten to little nubs! LOL. Anyway, this time around I placed a chicken wire cage with posts around it to protect it from the critters. Mel still had green leaves as of Dec since the weather was relatively mild here for Winter. I'll keep you all posted on how she fares come Spring. I'm crossing my fingers that she makes it! Frances and Dingo - great to hear feedback from growers in cold climates!

• User
    2 years ago

@bellarosa Likely Rabbits. I had a big problem with them 15 years ago when there was a population explosion - they would eat the miniatures down to the soil. Horrible things, Rabbits.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We did some volunteer work at a local historic site, which had a small rose garden. What had been open land around the site was cleared for building, and a plague of rabbits was driven into the place. They ate a fully mature 3-ft. tall Polyantha rose down to the ground, in one night! It was an education.

• roseseek
    2 years ago

Thank GOD there are no rabbits here! I fought those demons from hell for YEARS. Also, due to the engineered soil, no gophers, moles and no squirrels nor rats! The only thing eating my roses are my dumb dogs and they only want the hips.

• californicus
    2 years ago

Do they eat around the thorns? I'd have thought the thorns would deter them

• roseseek
    2 years ago

Prickles have no effect on deer, squirrels, rats nor rabbits. Prickles aren't armature, they are a climbing device left over from climbing ancestors. Dense bristles on more arid types capture dew and fog to help water the plant. The dense bristles on hips stick to animal fur to help distribute the seeds. You can eat a light bulb if you take small enough bites.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Californicus . . . NOTHING deters them. Not Hades himself, standing at the gates of Hell. They are unstoppable.

• bellarosa
    2 years ago

Paul, you're probably right. We have TONS of rabbits out here. We also have deer, voles (they make awful holes everywhere come Spring time!!) and almost any other critter you can think of! In the Spring, I'm battling the squirrels that love to eat my tulips. I have since placed chicken wire over the tulips. Once the roses are established they don't seem to bother them, but anything less than say 2-3 feet is usually chewed down to the base! It's frustrating to say the least. I try to place the chicken wire cages on my favorites and hope that they will ignore the rest!!

• Westminster_7NYC
    last year

reviving this thread -- aerbk7b I grow Mel's in my Brooklyn garden in an area with poor circulation and always prone to issues. I planted the band last spring and she is glorious, growing long legs and blooming prolifically this year. The foliage is fresh and beautiful and I am using Mel to fill the spot of a once bloomer I have trained up the site of my house. The area is partial sun and Mel doesn't care one bit. Fully recommend!

• aerbk7b
    last year

Wow — in partial sun?!! How many hours would you say it’s getting where you have it? How tall already? And can you tell me more about foliage color - ie light, medium, or dark green? It sounded like it would be fine here — but needed more sun than I have…

• jerijen
    Original Author
    last year

AFAICS, Mel's Heritage is not discouraged by much of anything. It's a wonderful rose, that deserves to be better known and more widely available.

I'm looking for an accurate foliage shot, and haven't found one yet, but here is the foliage of Mel's sister-seedling, 'Tajique'. It's identical.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    last year

OK. Here are images of 'Mel's Heritage' foliage and buds

• aerbk7b
    last year

Thank you!!