SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

‘Mel’s Heritage’ 2018

Lisa Adams
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

As many of you know, ‘Mel’s Heritage’ is my favorite rose of all the roses I grow. I’ve been waiting for mine to be in full bloom to begin this post, and now is the time! Unfortunately, ‘Mel’s Heritage’ full bloom has also coincided with some new physical issues and a jump in temperatures and bright sun. Neither of these are the best for photo taking, especially with my outdated phone. Perhaps the evening light will be better for pictures, but by starting now, it will be easier for me to add more to this thread.

’Mel’s Heritage’ has grown huge in the few years he’s been with me! I affectionately refer to him as “Nosey Mr. Mel”, because he’s always getting into everyone else’s business. I regularly find 25F? slim canes reaching into other roses and perennials. In the beginning I was afraid to cut these back, but I don’t hesitate anymore. He doesn’t mind, and he has PLENTY to spare. I have some canes attached to the fence, and the majority tumble down the slope. I keep saying it, but I really do need to attach more to the fence. Now that they are blooming on the fence, I wish I had more canes up there. The sight is so beautiful! The canes are thin and lightweight. They bend easily, without breaking. I have never seen a single speck of disease on mine. This year has been horrible for powdery mildew, but MH remains unscathed. The insects seem to have no interest in him, at least not in my garden. I have noticed that my MH has become much thornier as he’s maturing. They are rather sharp small thorns, but nothing like the nightmare of ‘The Fairy’ or ‘Bubble Bath’. (Such sweet, innocent rose names and such wicked thorns!)

Many of the blooms on my MH are more richly colored than I have experienced before. I think this could be due to the fact that up until yesterday, it was cool and cloudy here. Many blooms have a more coral color than I’ve had before. I most often get blooms that are more pink.

I adore this rose! If you have the space and are in a zone warm enough to grow ‘Mel’s Heritage’, I highly recommend it. My children all know ‘Mel’s Heritage’ is my favorite rose. Someday, I want my children or grandchildren to be able to grow ‘Mels Heritage’ if they’d like to. It’s a rose that deserves to be grown now, and 100 years from now. IMO, ‘Mel’s Heritage’ should be the Antique Rose of the future. Yes, it’s THAT good! Lisa

Edited a few minutes later to add: Oops!! I’m SO sorry Paul! How could I have forgotten to add that ‘Mel’s Heritage’ is a Paul Barden Rose! And a splendid one, at that!

Sorry about the bad photo above, I’ll try for better when the sun isn’t as bright.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH