SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somethinggardening

Help on choosing climbing roses

Gardening_7bAtlanta
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

Our backyard was just redesigned. The only things missing are some climbing roses along the backyard fence highlighted below, which is 97 feet long and 6 feet high. Originally the landscape designer suggested 'Lady Banks'. I like everything about 'Lady Banks' (no thorn, profuse yellow flowers, easy care) except it only blooms once. Here are some other re-blooming climbing roses supposed to grow well here in Atlanta with flowers I like - New Dawn, Rev d'Or, Polka, Zephirine Drouhin, etc. I read comments on this forum. It seems Polka is very thorny and has stiff cane. Zephirine Drouhin may have black spot/mildew issues. So that leaves me with only New Dawn and Rev d'Or.

I have never planted a climbing rose before. Out of these three (Lady Banks, New Dawn, Red d'Or), which one is the best option for this spot? Or is it a good idea to pick two or all three from the list? I care about flower color, easy to grow, long blooming period. No thorn is a bonus, whether fragrant or not is not important. If 'Lady Banks' is picked, I plan to plant Clematis 'Happy Jack' with 'Lady Banks' to extend the blooming period. Thanks in advance for your help. So much great information here.

Comments (53)

• Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the information so far. No. I am not firm on my list. Seems like choosing one climbing rose will create a cleaner look. Besides, I only need to learn how to take care of one variety. So that will be the direction. I will create a spreadsheet to compare all the suggestions here. Thanks a lot!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

That's a lot of space. You should be able to mix to or three complementary colors so it's not quite so monolithic. What colours are you favouring?

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Related Discussions

Please help me choose some climbing roses

Q

Comments (11)
    I know all about the first come, first served policy! To my cost! Some trees were taken out before I moved in, so shade is not really a factor. The lot lies on an East/West axis, with a fence and cedar hedge along the long north edge. The house sits at the east end of the lot, so the back yard is actually something of a u-shaped suntrap, with the empty part of the u facing south. The most difficult part of the yard for roses is along the west, which is where the trees used to be. I have the albas there. Some roses are wrapped in burlap, two are tipped and covered with dirt and compost, and all but the albas, rugosas, and a hybrid setigira are mounded with dirt and straw. This last winter has been quite mild, with only one night of lows near 0, and the ground not staying frozen--I am glad I mounded, even if I do get some canker.
    ...See More

what climbing rose to choose for a NJ garden

Q

Comments (4)
    Well I don't grow either but I just ordered three new climbers for the back of my house and had the laguna vs aloha debate myself and I went with Laguna. Here were my reasons (keep in mind I have not grown either, I have Laguna arriving for the spring): From the reading I did on here and HMF and google searches, they both seem disease resistant. HMF lists it as very resistant against blackspot which hits me hard (I am in central PA). The problem I heard about Aloha is that it does not rebloom as well as people would like it to. I have a neighbor that grows it and from talking to her she echoed that sentiment. Laguna does not seem to have as much information out there but the two people who voted on it on HMF say the rebloom is excellent. Secondly, the parents of Laguna are both climbers whereas the parents of Aloha are a large shrub and a Rugosa, both of which can be trained to climb. However, this order will be my first order of climbing roses so I would like something in which I know what I am getting and can follow some tutorials on how to be successful with getting them to climb. My neighbor says she has not had any issues with Aloha but I was staying on the safe side. Thus I ended up with Laguna ordered for spring delivery. We shall see how she does. Here is a link that might be useful: HMF - Laguna
    ...See More

Help me choose a climbing rose for a north wall

Q

Comments (6)
    I tried many, many "shade tolerant" roses on the north side of my house. I get full sun for 6 months and shade for 6 months when the sun angle changes with the season, (my house interferes with receiving any direct sun at that time). There are no trees on this side of the house. I have never found a rose that remained happy or healthy in that situation. I don't think you should waste your money putting a rose there. Plant something that is pretty, and that will enjoy that spot. I have camellias planted now that are extremely happy, and look nice all the time. I am sure there are some native bushes, or some other types of plants that would love to be on the north side of your house. Then, if you have the room, plant some roses out in front of those, maybe with a little path in between, if there is some full sun there. The combination can be quite striking. Sandy
    ...See More

Need Help Choosing a Climbing Rose Zone 6b

Q

Comments (10)
    I do not live in a climate which is anywhere close to yours, so I can't help, except to say that that appears to me to be the PERFECT place for a climber! You need a rose which is a cold hardy climber - I believe there are lots on the market, but living in CA I never think about them. I know there are breeders who breed nothing but cold hardy roses. Even though you are in zone 6, I think that would be very important, because your rose would be exposed to the elements all winter, and you would not be able to bury it or wrap it up. You would want the climbing canes to survive winter as much as possible. Hopefully someone who lives in a cold region will see this. Also, you can contact your nearest Rose Society, and ask them. Good Luck - great idea! Jackie
    ...See More
  • Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have lots of pink and red flowers planted in the backyard. I just realize maybe that is why the landscape designer chose a yellow climbing rose 'Lady Banks' for the fence. So I think maybe I should keep the same color pattern. The Bathsheba link provided by Diane has a lot of mention of Teasing Georgia. So I google Teasing Georgia as well. Bathsheba is lovely, but I think Teasing Georgia is even better because its yellow flower color matches the purple clematis 'Happy Jack' better. I will do some more research on Teasing Georgia. Maybe this will be the one. Please let me know if you have any experience with Teasing Georgia such as any black spot or mildew issues, spacing along my 97 fence, etc. Thanks a lot!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

I will say Lady Banks' Rose is a rose ancestor, it does not smell like modern roses and it totally sets off my allergies.
    I would suggest Raspberry Cream Twirl, which is almost thorn-free and smells heavenly.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

Raspberry Cream

• Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I pretty much settle on Teasing Georgia now. Here is my next question. Looks like Teasing Georgia could grow very big. Since my fence is long, could I train Teasing Georgia along the fence without pruning? If so, how far apart i should plant each one? I don't mind it grow very tall at all which could provide more privacy. Thanks.

3 years ago

Teasing Georgia would look beautiful with Bathsheba. You might also look at Malvern Hills. The advantage of having multiple different roses is that you can have blooms all the time. Especially if they bloom in flushes. otherwise, you may be looking at long stretches with no bloom. Also, colours change depending on sun, season and soil.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Sautesmom, how big/tall is your RCT? It’s beautiful!

• bart bart
    3 years ago

Well, I'm a little late to the discussion,so just ignore my comments if they're impertinent.I am not a fan of David Austin roses and in your climate you can grow so many others that might be more reliable and more beautiful. Why not re-consider Reve d'or and other Teas and Noisettes? What about Crépuscule, for example? https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.1366 Or Duchesse D'Auerstadt? https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.1657

With a lot of pink and red flowers already in your garden,I personally would want to opt for something closer to peachy-coloured rather than yellow, or better yet, a couple of different climbers that are all basically in a similar colour range but differing slightly, to create an interesting chromatic blend. For instance, Mel's Heritage (o boy do I wish that rose was available to us here in Europe) with Crepuscule,and then just maybe a third rose of a slightly deeper tone (if you can find it, Florence Bowers'Pink Tea https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.62712&tab=36 would look great, and since its' colour varies it would provide added interest.) In other words, not "jump" from pink and red to plain yellow, but harmonize the pinks and reds with tones that go gradually from the pink range towards the yellow range. Vaporvac is right IMO that just one colour might be a bit "monolithic" ; that is a very big fence.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked bart bart
  • Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I had just planned to take Vaporvac's suggestion adding Bathsheba with Teasing Georgia, Bart got me back into drawing board again. LOL. Initially I tried to pick one out of my three choices. Now I end up with more than ten choices. If I do pick two or more varieties, should I plant them alternately or one variety along one location? The challenge with picking more varieties is that I feel like I am not up to the task in terms of visualizing the right color, texture, etc. I wonder whether this is a piece of cakes for other people or something is wrong with me.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Also having a large stretch of fence, I feel your pain in struggling to make it all look cohesive-although I’m not complaining-it’s a good problem to have.

My preference is to try to keep colors

similar but only have one of each rose because I am definitely finding I am a collector at heart.

The way our property is set up is almost our shapes and i have both sides of the fence to work with so one thing I’m definitely trying to accomplish is having climbers that cascade to both sides.

For the most part I’ve gone with shades of

pink, with pops of white, purple and apricot.

In case you’re interested my choices so far:

Tangerine Skies

Indigo

Veilchenbleu

Mel’s Heritage

white Maman Cochet

cl Iceberg

cl Maman Cochet

Grandmother’s Hat

Florence Bowers Pink Tea

Kiss me Kate

Viking Queen

Laguna

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Dave5bWY
    3 years ago

Teasing Georgia is a great choice. It has good disease resistance and repeats well. It is not low thorn but average I would say. As far as spacing, you may want to ask someone in your local rose society d/t differences in climate but I would suspect planting them 10 feet on center in your climate would do.

Bart, I only wish I could grow some of those wonderful teas where I live.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked Dave5bWY
  • dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Jane z Teasing Georgia is an amazing variety and I should have never forgotten to mention it on my list. She is wonderful and healthy here in the south without the need for antifungals. She will certainly look beautiful with Bathsheba as their colors will be similar enough to blend in well and different enough to not be boring. Bathsheba’s color here ranges from really yellow to peach.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked dianela7analabama
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Dianela, so good to see you posting.

Hope all is well.

• bart bart
    3 years ago

Jane, there is nothing "wrong" with you! the more I get into roses, the more I dither about choices, placement, etc,and the more I realize that getting it "right" the first time is -well, not impossible, but not easy either.The fact is that until you grow a rose,you can't really know what it will actually look/be like in your climate, soil, and conditions. So at some point you just have to take the plunge.

Let me explain with some personal examples. I fell in love with the pictures of Rosengarten Zweibrucken (Indigo Knights). What a wonderful colour,I thought, that deep, dark violet, with small flowers, on a climber! I was excited about pairing it up with some pinks and lighter violets. So I bought a few plants (my garden is very large). The colour was, indeed, wonderful BUT this rose blooms quite late in the season in my climate at least,so I could not achieve what I had imagined; it only starts blooming once the others are finished! (My climate is so hot and unpleasent in summer that I only am interested in the big spring flush; I can't really appreciate the late starters because by then it's too hot to enjoy being outdoors) Roses are extremely forgiving about being moved ; I wound up re-locating my RZ's to places where I'm obliged to pass when I have to go out there to water. Another example: from the pictures, the Kew Rambler looked wonderful to me. But I found that, in my garden, it was just...well, boring, and somehow...ugly. I found the habit of the plant somehow just ugly,and I can't really explain why. Then there was Westerland-a nice orange, I thought. I planted it, it grew-and I realized I hated that bright orange!

It's no big deal if you don't get it perfect the first time-choose the ones you like best,see how they actually behave in your garden,and then tweak it around if need be. If I understand correctly, the fence is almost 100 feet long-that is huge . Don't stress yourself out if you make a mistake or two-that is such a long area to deal with,it seems impossible to envision the whole thing just in the imagination.Actually I think you could easily get away with far more than 3 roses on that; as far as I know, spacing for ramblers is generally estimated at being no more than 3 meters apart (100 feet is about 30 meters); for climbers it can be closer to 2 meters, or even a meter and a half. You could try something like-say, Mel's Heritage in the middle, then on either side of Mel's you could put ,say a Crespucule (or Reve d'Or, or Florence Bowers, etc, etc etc OR one of the Austins if you're set on trying them.) Then, maybe ,wait and see how this central area of the fence looks; by that time you might have clearer ideas,and with the central area partially defined, it might be easier to then fill in the rest of it's length.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Thank you Kristine! It has been wonderful to be able to stop by some. Looking forward to seeing your roses this spring.

• Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, Bart, thanks a lot for your idea of divide and conquer. It makes the decision-making less stressful. I am still researching my list of choices based on all the suggestions in this thread. I think having two or more varieties with different hues of yellow may achieve the clean, but lightly different effect I am looking for.

3 years ago

To confuse you more I'm going to add the Generous Gardener and Mme Alfred Carriere to the list. Longagoroses carries both I believe. These two are great "mixers".

3 years ago

Madame Alfred Carriere often just called MAC by folks here, is a lovely white rose with slightly pink blush in the center of new buds. I also have Reve d’Or. MAC has a spectacular Spring flush, scattered summer blooms and no fall blooms. Reve d’Or has a medium Spring flush scattered summer blooms and a spectacular fall flush. Both want to get big! And could easily go 10-15 feet in both directions if training on the fence. However, I keep my MAC 6x6 feet for several years by pruning 3 times in the summer. This could be why it doesn’t have a fall flush for me. So considering the mature size a rose wants to be is good since if you want to keep it smaller than it wants to be it is more upkeep. Here is MAC this morning before the winter pruning given this morning, next MACs spring bloom at sunrise and finally Reve d’Or in its second year. That MAC is starting its 6th year.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

What zone is Atlanta? You may have mentioned but I couldn't find it. You should be able to grow Renee there also. I know it was mentioned prior but it is tender in my neck of the woods and even sometimes in zone 7A where lilly Finch lived I think but that might be a blessing for some of these monster roses! LOL! However with the fence that size I don't seriously think it's a problem.

• Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Based on our zip code in Atlanta, we are zone 7b. After googling all the suggestions here, this is my current plan. I will plant 4 climbing roses - Bathsheba, Teasing Georgia, Reve d'Or, Crepuscule - along the fence with 10 feet spacing. I will not do anything on them other than watering. Hopefully I could find out soon which ones are disease-resistant and good re-bloomers, which ones are troublemaker. Then go from there. What do you think?

• bart bart
    3 years ago

Since you asked I will add on some other thoughts-I am by no means the most experienced or expert gardener on this forum, but I do have experience in dealing with "big" projects,since my own garden is so very large,and this fence sure is big.

Amongst the many other variables with which one has to cope when deciding on roses, there is another that I forgot to mention before,but I can't sum it up in one word, so I'll tell of my experience so you can get an idea. When I first started with roses, I was so attracted by the ones with delicate, nuanced shades and pastel colours, but I found that ,in my big landscape, under the blazing south-western Tuscan sun, that these types of flowers just didn't work in many areas. If they were placed where I mostly saw them from some distance away, they lost all of the nuance and beauty, and registered to the eye as just a sort of bland, blah cream-ish colour. So I wound up orienting myself to much stronger and vibrant colours for the places that would mostly been seen from a distance. I try to place the delicate, complex and pastel shades only in places where I will be seeing them up close so I can appreciate them,and try to provide them with some shade, too, to reduce fading. Now, I don't know where this fence is on your property, and nor do I know what the sun is like in Atlanta,etc, etc.,etc,but if you will mainly be looking at this fence from a distance, you MAY find that you'd need some stronger shades of colour to achieve the effect that you desire. I say this just because I can see that you have oriented yourself towards paler colours-and this might work out perfectly in your situation. So I was thinking: do you have a lot of water restrictions usually in summer in your area? If not, might it be worthwhile to grow the roses in pots for their first year, set up along the fence in the spots where you intend to plant them,just to see if they give the desired effect? then ,if they do work, you can just plant them out next fall (or whenever rose-planting season is in your area) ,directly from their pots. I could never do this because I don't have running water out at my land, and potted roses require a LOT more watering than do those planted directly in the ground,but if you can do this, it might save you some work later on, if you change your mind about colour, variety, placement, etc.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked bart bart
  • Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Bart, you are correct. We are mainly looking at the fence in the house from the windows. The picture below shows you the distance from the house to the fence, which is quite long. The backyard is west-facing and Atlanta’s sun is brutal during the summer. Although we don’t have strong water restriction, it is very inconvenient to water frequently along the fence since we don’t have outside faucets in the back of the house, so I need to bring a long hose to water anything in the backyard. Fortunately, Atlanta has lots of rainfall the last several years. I rarely water any plants other than Hydrangea. So potting the roses may not be a good option. I would rather dig them up later than water them twice a week during the hot summer.

I understand what you mean by looking at flowers from a distance. That is why initially I wanted to plant only one variety to have some impact. Then I thought maybe several varieties with similar colors will achieve the same result while extending the blooming period. Here are some plants installed at the fence two weeks ago with their flower colors. Maybe this will help you envision my fence better. The highlights below, from left to right, are Camellia (Deep Red), Tea Olive (White), Snowball Viburnum (White), Saucer Magnolia (White and Pink), Japanese Maple (Red). The smaller evergreen shrubs along the middle of fence are either gardenia (White) or Encore Azalea (White and Pink). The evergreen shrubs at the right corner are Chindo Viburnum (White). ‘Don Juan’ has dark red color, which, I read, grows well here. Although that color is not my preference, maybe I need to reconsider it. If you have other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Just to let you know there is also a pink version of Don Juan

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    3 years ago

I would not choose a color that is not your preference. If you already have a feeling you won't like it, don't invest the time and money. Get the color you want.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really like the flowers of 'Zephirine Drouhin', which, I read, also grow well here. However, the stories of black spot in this forum scared me. If someone could suggest a few much healthy climbers with similar color and flowers like 'Zephirine Drouhin', that will be great.

• purilisaVA-zone7B
    3 years ago

I am in VA, humid and hot here and zephrine completely defoliates. But the flowers are very charming and the fragrance outstanding, mine did not rebloom after spring but it's still young. I love the charming romantic look of Renae, thornless with great foliage, blooms from spring-fall, also has strong old rose fragrance https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.329147

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked purilisaVA-zone7B
  • Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Pink Don Juan reminds me a bit of Zepherine Drouhin and supposed to be disease resistant and prolific. It’s on I’m seriously considering for my garden.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
  • Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It seems the more I read here, the more I am undecided. There are just so many beautiful climbing roses. I now think I will plant 6 climbing roses with 10 feet apart - 3 dark pink varieties on the left and 3 yellow varieties on the right. It is very likely the yellow ones will look cream-ish from a distance. If that happens, I will just pretend I plant white roses there. Here are my choices so far.

Yellow - Crelpuscule, Teasing Georgia, Reve d'Or

Dark Pink - Peggy Martin

I still need to find two more dark pink that are good re-bloomers and disease resistant with thornless as a bonus. My plan is that if any of them does not grow well, I will just substitute a different pink or yellow variety until I find the right one, which could be several years down the road. I feel like I am on an experiment now.

3 years ago

Just FYI but teasing Georgia is not thornless. :-) I'll have to think on these dark pink ones for you. Moses loves Don Juan but he does spray and told me that it does need spraying. I personally love Blossom time and parade. Lilly Finch grew blossom-time beautifully. I'll have to look through my other climbers and see what might work for you. You also might want to take a look at Victorian memory and climbing Pinkie. Those are low thorn. Sheila has some lovely pictures of her Victorian memory.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

If you would like a dark pink with a different shape to match Peggy I also would recommend Raspberry Cream Twirl. I have grown her here in Alabama since 2016 and it never fails to impress. It is almost completely thornless with very large blooms and good repeat. There is a great variation on the blooms with some being almost entirely pink with some white while others have lots of white.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

I apologize everyone here has seen my pictures from last year and right now there is nothing new I could photograph.

Here one plant on each side of arch. nice large bicolor blooms with very good repeat and thornless.

she gets some blackspot here facing East and getting only morning sun. She would do even better in full day sun. Disease resistant here in our humid zone almost never translates to 100% blackspot free. It only means it does really well and gets less blackspot than usual.

Even the best ADR winners from Kordes get some blackspot here.

While opening the blooms have a sort of hybrid tea shape and then fully open they look more old rose.

• Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diane, all of your roses are so lovely that I am not sure which one looks more beautiful. To make sure I get it right, is it the highlighted part 'Raspberry Cream Twirl'? sautesmom Sacramento also recommenced this one earlier. She called it 'Raspberry Cream'. I assume it is the same one as 'Raspberry Cream Twirl'.

3 years ago

Dianela, I was hoping you would see this and post your pictures. I this from Heirloom based on yours for a south facing porch next to Don Juan.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Gardening: thank you very much. I am glad you like my roses. Every success I have had in the garden has been by following the advice of the experienced gardeners here.

yes The highlighted area in the picture is Raspberry Cream T which is the same rose recommended by Sautesmom. Mine also came from Heirloom.

Here I think I found a couple of Pictures that shows what the entire plants look like

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    3 years ago

@Gardening_7bAtlanta, why not visit a local botanical garden or public rose garden, and see what climbers they have there? It may be useful to you to see roses in person that you can see for yourself thrive in your area.

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dianela7analabama You sold me on your 'Raspberry Cream Twirl.' I like it. Thanks a lot for those lovely pictures. @Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) Good suggestion. I did plan to visit Pike Nursery when roses are in bloom. When I visit there last month to purchase some camellia, they had more than 60 varieties of camellias in the store. I was completely overwhelmed. This time I plan to do some homework first.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

RCTwirl smells delicious too!
    Carla in Sac

• suncoastflowers
    3 years ago

I’m in FL and just ordered Mel’s Heritage and Spirit of Freedom. I also have Solitaire. It’s is a white/lemony yellow. It has some thorns but it’s not too bad.

I was going to suggest MAC. I think Polka does well in the south too and can take some shade.

I lust after Marechal Niel.

I know you aren’t in FL but we have similar heat and humidity, we just don’t get your cold weather. Check out the climbers at Rose Petals Nursery in Newberry FL. Cyd is really helpful.

You could also also include some non climbing but huge roses in front of the fence. Phillipe Louis grows easily and huge in FL. Belinda’s Dream is one of my favorites with huge pink blooms. It’s a monster and a blooming machine.

Your fence is going to be stunning!

Gardening_7bAtlanta thanked suncoastflowers
    3 years ago

Dianela, I was also hoping to see your RCT, it is such a beautiful rose in your porch! So thanks for showing it off again. Gardening, that pink rose in front of my Reve d’Or is Climbing Pinkie. She gets a little powdery mildew in the Spring sometimes but I wouldn’t know about black spot since that is something not really seen in SoCal. I was also thinking some large shrub roses planted in front of the fence would be fabulous. Might actually be less work than training climbers too since such a large area. Have you seen the great YouTube video by Heirloom Roses showing the training of climbing Eden? https://youtu.be/iNfSaH5fLUM

3 years ago

Maggie is a large shrub in warmer climates and very low thorn. I have a baby Maggie that I just planted in the garden. She was in a pot all last year and has fabulous fragrance. HMF has some great pictures of her including this one. https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.260525

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Vapor I can’t wait to see what your porch will look like covered on such gorgeous roses.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

Stephanie where did you buy Maggie?

3 years ago

S, I got my Maggie from are.

3 years ago

Mine is from ARE. They are sold out for this season. ARE has large plants and many Earthkind varieties that do well in hot humid areas. https://antiqueroseemporium.com/products/maggie

• Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks a lot for all the wonderful suggestion. We used to have a line of cypress along the fence giving us a lot of privacy. I got rid of the trees for the roses, but I really hope the climbing roses could provide both beauty and privacy. I think I could sacrifice a little thorn for beauty, as long as they are not like those epic thorn on New Dawn. So here are my latest climbing roses selection.

Yellow - Crepuscule, Teasing Georgia, Reve d'Or

Dark Pink - Peggy Martin, Pretty in Pink Eden, Raspberry Cream Twirl

Since other flowers were planted only 5 feet away from the fence, there is not much space left for shrub roses between the fence and other flowers. The only way is up the fence. However, I did find enough space in front of the Tea Olive for a shrub roses and I like the suggestion of Belinda's Dream.

• Gardening_7bAtlanta
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dianela7analabama Did you plant 1 Raspberry Cream Twirl on each of your arbor or just 1 for the whole arbor? Originally I thought planting 2 Spirit of Freedom for the 2 swing pillars. But your pictures are really lovely. I am now considering Raspberry Cream Twirl instead.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Gardening: I planted one plant on each side of the arbor and trained them to meet at the top. I think whichever you choose will be lovely, but I would definitely recommend one on each side for a more balanced look. Raspberry is also much darker than spirit of freedom and will be more visible from far away if that affects your choice. Spirit of freedom is extremely beautiful and blooms very very well here so you can’t go wrong. They both are VERY vigorous so in those narrow pillars you will have to train, tie and prune them at least once (more likely twice) a year. I prune my arch early spring and late summer to keep it tidy. This year I have a new baby and did not prune it and it looks like a Medusa’s head on top ( I still like it).

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

@dianela7analabama the column of Mel's from earlier in this thread is amazing. How tall/wide is this column?

• dianela7analabama
    last year

Without pruning my Mel’s heritage is around 14 feet tall by 4 feet wide.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider