SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Roses that you got rid of or have regrets of buying?

strawchicago z5
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I regret buying roses grafted on Dr.Huey just because it's cheap ($5) at local stores. Even if it's perfect health like Belinda's Dream, there's still a long pause between flushes, and NEVER continuous blooming like own-roots. Own-root roses that I got rid of in my rock-hard & high magnesium alkaline clay:

Le Rire Niais (Centifolia) - best scent, but a suckering nightmare. Took me 2 years to get rid of its suckers deep in my lawn.

Eyes for you: drought tolerant but I don't like the sour-apple scent & messy blooms

Basyes Blueberry: drought-tolerant but the plant looks like a giant weed between flushes. Can't cut for the vase.

Scepter'd Isle: bush is huge as own-root, don't like the scent, blooms shatter.

Queen of Sweden: same as above. It's 6 feet tall water-hog in 2nd flush.

Arthur Bell: looks like a gaudy plastic yellow flower, scent is inferior to Golden Cel.

Charles Darwin: stingy and blooms fade badly in full-sun. Now I have lots of partial shade and I wish I had kept it.

White pet and pink pet: Boring & no scent plus the same size as snapdragons here.

Many minis I sent to warmer zone: minis are not zone 5 hardy and rabbits devour in one bite: Blue mist is the exception since it gets big like Marie Pavie. I keep Blue Mist for its amazing wafting scent plus drought-tolerance.

I get rid of my 2nd Lavender Crush (grafted-on-Dr.Huey): Don't like its chalky purple color, Lemon-pledge furniture polish scent, too tall (over 8 feet) plus BS-prone.

Comments (61)

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

The thing that annoys me most about some roses is suckering, because some of them can take over an entire bed. The worst offenders in my garden have been Shailer's Provence, Ruth's German Rose, and Duchesse de Buccleugh. These are all thugs. It's hard to dig out every bit of the roots. For someone with room for them they'd be great.

I know some people say that from the very start a rose's blooms will be as good as they're ever going to get. For me that is not true. It's really the norm in my garden for blooms on a new rose to keep getting better as the plant matures. It really can take a few years for the blooms to reach their potential. So Aaron, you might want to give Cupcake a little more time. I thought my Cupcake's blooms were blah for several years. It got better.

strawchicago z5 thanked erasmus_gw
  • Related Discussions

Have you ever regretted buying a newly introduced rose?

Q

Comments (34)
    Now, Triple, please don't 'dis Albert. And sure people go on about his wild hair, but if you really looked at him in a well cut suit, and saw him with a great haircut---that dude would look really handsome!! And he truly was a genius. I appreciate genius, and have watched who the geniuses are coming out of our schools. Fascinating! On a side note, the genius of our high school had a huge crush on me all thoughout grade school and highschool. Tim confessed his great affection for me to my brothers, who then totally embarrassed him by blabbing that to my mother. Sigh...brothers!! Anyway he was a super nice guy, and wrote something really sweet, (and I mean really sweet!) in my high school yearbook. And I remember how much he loved airplanes. I learned to love them, too just a very wee bit later. Around the beginning of college I decided that I really wanted to be a pilot. Had to go down a different road after I developed vertigo, and vision was an issue as well. Oh crumbs... Good grief! I didn't mean to go on and on. Sorta' just got into it, after I started typing. Sorry! Love you sister, and hope you and your family had a most wonderful Easter!! :) Hugs, Debbie Debbie
    ...See More

Anyone else have a hard time getting rid of unwanted roses?

Q

Comments (23)
    There were roses everywhere when we bought this house, and we have been removing them one by one and giving them to friends. One friend lives on a street called Rose Circle, or something like that, and she has been good about taking the unwanted roses off our hands. I have been replacing the roses with drought tolerant plants, such as succulents and cacti, which I much prefer. Still, some roses still come back from roots that we were unable to remove, and so it is an ongoing process to get rid of them. We have kept one rose bush in the front yard that makes white flowers, and it seems to bloom all year, which is why we kept it. Also, the white flowers go better with our color schemes than the pink ones. We are trying to get rid of the pink that we inherited with the house. The first thing to go was an ornamental peach tree that attracted possums. We have replaced that with banana and heliconia - not drought tolerant plants, but they work with our existing watering system. I have a hard time throwing out orchid cuttings, but we have too many epidendrum in the back yard and no place to put all of them. I also have a bit of a hard time throwing out bromeliad cuttings, but I have no trouble at all throwing out roses, as the thorns are quite nasty. Some of the bromeliads are nasty also, and so I do not feel bad about throwing those out. If it pricks you, do not feel bad about throwing it out is my philosophy. It's nice when you can find homes for unwanted plants, but it is not nice to keep something that is getting in your way.
    ...See More

What have you planted that you regret?

Q

Comments (66)
    We have friends buying up the old houses around here and fixing them up who are always looking for plants to get started on their yards. So I don't mind some of the stinkers, because our friends thin them frequently. I usually give away asian jasmine, vinca, mex petunias, stone crop, and butterfly ginger. The one thing that I am guilty of having planted 8 years ago is that darn pretty trumpet vine. I cannot kill it, and it's frightening how invasive it is. We have friends who rented a house in Garland that the owner was not able to sell. The entire foundation had lifted up in the center of the house, so a ball would roll either way quickly, the slope was so great. Trumpet vine! The roots got so huge from a vine growing on the nearby fence that they lifted the slab. What a nightmare. We were sitting out front just last week and realized that there's not one original plant left in the front yard. We murdered more hollies and dug out more monkey grass.... Oh I hate monkey grass. 3 years ago, I got on freecycle and gave away the last of it while my husband was at work. Dwarf yaupon hollies and some sort of evergreen hedge that I couldn't stand. So we got to start with a fresh slate!
    ...See More

Did you regret buying your Kitchenaid Pro 600?

Q

Comments (19)
    sherrmann - Good suggestion - I just returned home with my purchase of another Kitchenaid bowl for $39.99. I bid on one today on e-bay but lost out on the bidding while I was at work so I called 5 area stores until I found one that had the bowl in stock. It's now tucked away in the cupboard waiting for my cookie baking session tomorrow afternoon. Such an obvious solution and somehow I overlooked it. THANKS
    ...See More
  • sharon2079
    2 years ago

Bless everyone's heart.... sharing your roses.... giving them an extended life....

Me on the other hand I end up murdering the poor things..... not by shovel pruning but through telepathic thoughts.... I think " you are not the best rose" and poof it croaks.

strawchicago z5 thanked sharon2079
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I dislike Lavender Crush (cheap $5 grafted-on-Dr.Huey) and used it in my experiments in my rock hard & high magnesium alkaline black clay.

I dug down to its root-level and put lime pellets .. and it shot up to 9 feet as of today 8/6. This shows that calcium promotes growth on Dr.Huey (likes alkaline).

Bagged cow manure gave my roses blackspots many times in the past (from high phosphorus that suppress potassium). I dug down to its root-level to put cow manure. It came down with blackspots immediately. But Lavender Crush lives forever despite my experiments.

I did the same to own-root Governor Rosellini .. dislike it due to tiny blooms with little scent. So I put a wad of Garden Lime on top to see what happens when the pH shoots up with own-roots. It came down with zinc deficiency & took a pic. of that. Below is Governor Rosellini, I keep it since it's tough & small and can withstand experiments. Below is before experiments:

Below is zinc deficiency induced by too much lime: note the SMALLER LEAVES plus mottled-yellow leaves.

CONCLUSION: roses that you want to get rid of can be useful in experiments to benefit other roses.

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    2 years ago

Re 'Little White Pet' having no scent, mine does, smelling a lot like 'Marie Pavie', though not as strongly. Like with Jackie, it's a super-performer here, in a lot of shade even.

strawchicago z5 thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flowers (Andrea): Peppermint Pop was the most "artificial & plastic-looking" bush at rose park. The color is so gaudy that it's just as bad looking as red Knock-out.

I have a hard time liking striped rose like Neil Diamond. So happy that it died through one of my experiment of mixing peat moss into my alkaline clay. It has a nice scent, but fleeting once picked for the vase. The color actually hurts my eyes.

The neighbor's Rock & roll has a better scent than Neil Diamond. Plus Rock & Roll has more red & less white stripes so it looks better. Rock & roll is very thorny but the scent is more stable than Neil Diamond. I consider Rock & Roll scent to be better than Rouge Royal, but on the same level as Firefighter (one bloom perfumes the entire room).

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Lillyfinch, I so empathize! It has taken me literally YEARS to break up with Abraham Darby. Our climates are very different, so I hope that he will eventually be a better performer for you. I have gotten some great blooms from him (with maturity), and remontancy has been very good (with maturity), but his dramatic and messy defoliation is an ongoing pattern. He leads me on every year with a fresh spring tease of sqeaky clean leaves. Then, inevitably, the blackspotting and rusting begin. Broken trust. Accusations and blame: If only I were more attentive and nurturing! He throws his thorny, infected canes around the garden beds. He makes an ugly scene in front of the neighbors. Here in Portland, he’s just a sick rose…that keeps pumping out gorgeous, intoxicating blooms and empty promises. Abe does improve with age, and if he can shake the rust in your CA garden, he might actually straighten up and act right for you! I have a no spray Portland friend who magically grows him pretty healthily, and there was one spot in my current garden where he was relatively healthy, but I had to move him, and he has sulked ever since. For years. I’d love to hear if he ever improves for you. I’ll take vicarious pleasure in SOMEONE enjoying this potentially amazing rose and his awe-inspiring blooms! Carol

Gorgeous, exquisitely fragrant Marianne below. She is a true love forever rose!

strawchicago z5 thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

Straw, you've given me two good words to describe Peppermint Pop - artificial and plastic. His trait of every bloom looking exactly the same, as if they came out of a mold, contributes to his artificial look.

I've always felt guilty complaining about Abe, but here's my chance to do so and stay in good company. I don't care for see-through rose bushes. He's never foliated enough for my taste. No fungal issues, he's just skimpy. And, those floppy canes! I love roses that mingle, but he's obnoxious. I have to prop him up so we can pass by.

strawchicago z5 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

The ones I would get rid of are more opportunity cost or I wish I had put a different rose there...then the deer come thru and I think "go ahead and eat Bonica down, Brindella could use a little prune too." " Stay away from the ones that got experimented on accidentally"...(Strawchicago thanks to you they have a better chance of living thru that!)

2 recent regrets: Mr Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial...love the scent, the colors are not great...definitely experimenting on them!

strawchicago z5 thanked ann beck 8a ruralish WA
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Got to go, Kordes fairytale. Blooms blow immediately and now it is sending out octopus arms and trying to take over Hot Cocoa's space. Big dud!

strawchicago z5 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    2 years ago

Wonderful thread!

The majority of roses grafted on Dr. Huey. It just does not thrive or grow roots well in my soil.
    Especially more tender, modern roses. Even they have done better own-root or on Multiflora.
    My only truly good Dr. Huey rose is David Austin's Chianti and one that has decently trucked along to a lesser degree- Fragrant Cloud. FC has survived, grown, and bloomed for seven years now. Every other Huey grafted modern fails out in about three years.

Steven

strawchicago z5 thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Steven: you are right about grafted-on-Dr.Huey fails in about 3 years in cold zone. Cantigny rose park here replaces their roses every 3 years (all are grafted-on-Dr.Huey), with the exception of vigorous varieties (Chicago Peace and Double Delight).

My Double-Delight is an 8th-year grafted but it's a BS-fest compared to my other 2 Double-Delight as own-roots (can't survive my zone 5 winter). I would try Double-Delight again as own-root, but I wont' plant another one as grafted. The own-root Double-Delight produces more petals (cluster-root is more efficient in picking up water). Below is "white" Double-Delight due to lack of sun in my shady garden from an own-root plant:

2 years ago

I bought a Double Delight that was supposed to be 3 year own root, but I am afraid it is grafted...do you have pictures of the base of your own root?

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My 2 own-root Double-Delights were back in 2012, so I lost those pics. when I organized my pics-folder. Own-root Double delight grew from a 3" tiny band (from Burlington roses) into a 3 feet tall plant in a dinky pot within 6 months.

It had at least 5 blooms in partial shade. It was just as vigorous as grafted-on-Dr.Huey, but the own-root is not long like Dr.Huey-stick to survive zone 5 winter.

Grafted-on-Dr.Huey has a fat bud-union on top of the root. Own-root does not have a fat bud-union but more spreading cluster-root. Below pic. was Heirloom rose when I dug it up: Note the decay of fat & chunky-stick Dr.Huey in poor-drainage clay (made acidic by rain water pooling up).

On the left is own-root Heirloom sprouting off from above the bud-union. Grafted can grow its own-root above in vigorous varieties like Chicago Peace and Double-Delight. Even wimpy Heirloom below can grow its own-root above the bud-union, with a bloom if planted deep.

2 years ago

Straw, thank you for showing your Dr. Huey corpse.

That is about the worst that I see. Usually my results are I'd say 30-50% "better" in that Huey, though still alive, is virtually rootless and doesn't extend any roots really down or out around its initial planting, and most of the bud union, even if green, doesn't send basal breaks. It just... stews or something.

Interestingly, my Fisherman's Friend on Multiflora that I got from Palatine this spring is having no troubles sending basal breaks up through the soil from the union whereas Huey roses seem to have difficulty.

Dr. Huey- can't plant him high or low. Low he just seems to suffocate. High, ditto, only the union is swiftly zapped as soon as hard cold comes along.

Steven

strawchicago z5 thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

I love grafted roses and Dr Huey is my favorite rootstock. I also have quite a few roses grafted on multiflora, and they all do well. My two own root roses, Abe Darby and one of my Julia Child's, are OK, but not up to the grafted Julias. Abe is a little guy and doesn't bloom enough to suit me, nor do the blooms last at all. Abe's growth habit is nice, just small perfectly shaped bush. There are no disease problems on any of my roses. I just wish we had some moderate temps so I could finally enjoy a flush. Steven, how would you like this monster stump to dug up. Not shown are multiple anchor roots--took me two afternoons to dig out.. This was PAoK's stump--a monster rose that I hope to never grow again. Everyone's seen this by now, but what the heck. Diane

strawchicago z5 thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Dr Huey's remains

strawchicago z5 thanked Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Gosh Diane! I feel you there. If only the good Doctor were any good here!

Seeing that *famous* PAoK Huey stump reminds me of trying to move a large William Baffin (own-root) a few years back- I was in a hole as deep as my knees and around three feet around. He had canes thick as a broomstick.

I was nowhere near getting him and all of his anchor roots out. The original is barely hanging on for dear life, and the roots at the original location have been suckering ever since.

I gave up this year and I'm letting him take his place and do what he wants. I am throwing in the towel and letting Big Billy B win. All that digging and trying to get all of him out was exhausting enough to make me feel sick, and I'm still a young'un! I think I moved him in 2017. I can't even remember anymore!

Horses for Courses here naturally!

Steven

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dr.Huey-rootstock is wimpy in poor drainage clay (made acidic with rain-water at pH 4.5 that can't drain well), but VERY VIGOROUS in fast-drainage clay, esp. next to my limestone-based patio. I killed a 15-year-old Knock-out (grafted-on-Dr.Huey) next to my patio, and it took me 1 1/2 hour, the roots were extending 4 feet in all directions. Its woody roots were feeding from the alkaline calcium of the limestones below my patio.

Lime hardens and strengthens the chunky & woody roots like Dr.Huey-rootstock. Frank Gatto, rose nursery owner in high-rain PNW recommends 1 cup of lime for roses (grafted-on-Dr.Huey) in spring time, plus 1 cup of lime in the planting hole.

In contrast, cluster-roots, esp. from low-thorn roses like Annie L. McDowell prefers acidic gypsum (calcium sulfate), and does well with acidic rain. Multiflora-rootstock is a cluster-root and never blackspot for Carol in her pots in Canada, zone 4.

2 years ago

Thanks for the picture Strawchicago... I was sold it as own root, but it sure looks like a grafted. Not a problem, just mis-representation, which is a problem. Guess they need some lime.

But I'll bet I could put one of my grafted roses in an area bordered by concrete and it would be happy....all these things I am learning!

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

I regret buying a couple that I did NOT get the rose I truly wanted.... but I blame myself.

I wanted Purple Rain the HT.... but when I purchased Purple Rain from Roses Unlimited I did NOT ask which Purple Rain she had. Instead, I got the scentless Kordes shrub Purple Rain. MY MISTAKE.... not theirs. That rose had tiny little leaves and it HATED, I mean HATED it here in Florida. It did NOT make it through the first summer.

I regret buying Regatta. I thought I was buying Warinner HT but got the Meilland HT. I could have lived with the color difference because I loved the scent.... but what I did not want is a rose that is ARMED with thorns.

I also regret purchasing roses in different show categories to have more participation in my local rose society. Why in the HE$$ did I buy something I REALLY don't like. Why did I get Veteran's Honor (not enough scent) got it because it shows nice. Why did I get Betty Boop.... I don't care that much for low petal roses, but I needed a rose for the floribunda display category. Why did I buy Florentina... I Love the color but not enough scent for me, but I needed a rose to show in the climber section..... Now I have this BIG bush that is taking up LOTS of room and is a chili thrip magnet. Why did I buy Prosperity, Clair Matin, and Buff Beauty.... for shows.

There is NOTHING wrong with the above mentioned roses... they were not just something that I really wanted in the first place....

So now I will only purchase what I TRULY want.... and I will ask to make sure that if there are multiple names it is is the one that I want.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sharon: I love what you wrote above, so true !! I'm stuck with Veteran Honor (tiny own-root) for the past 4 years, very light scent. I'm stuck with Governor Rossilli (light scent), Solitude, About Face .. these are listed as strong scents in HMF, but their inferior scents ARE NOT WORTH my time watering them. I would be better off growing a plastic or silk-flower bush that doesn't need water nor poke me.

The only reason why I bought the above was because they were on sale at Roses Unlimited ($6 to $7 off per rose), but it's NOT worth the few bucks of saving to be stuck with a rose with not much scent. So I use them in my experiments to benefit other roses.

It's funny how the roses that I don't like live forever, but the roses that I love their scents died repeatedly through my zone 5 winter: Firefighter, Versigny, Jude the Obscure.

Next year I'll buy roses that I like from LongAgoRoses or High Country Roses, yes, bands are tiny, but I have learned how to grow own-roots big for winter-survival.

I'll skip Roses Unlimited summer sale next year, I have enough of roses with lesser scents like below red Veteran's Honor, orange About Face. Pic. taken this Sept. 15:

2 years ago

I have been spending overtime with the shovel this week.

My theory is that I am old and have but a few gardening years left so ig a rose doesnt make me smile, it's out.

I removed White Pet, too much deadheading.

2 out of my 4 Desdamona, again, all I did was deadhead.

Ebbtide finally croaked so out it went.

Teasing Georgia is rather dull with not nearly enough blooms to keep it so it is getting replaced

And yes I feel really sad at the time but when the new rosrs is in place and blooming I forget all about the previous Tennant

You know what I love about the Fawn? Once the bloom dies, so does its stem and the whole thing cleanly falls off

I have never had to deadhead that rose.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    2 years ago

I’m in hot and dry inland SoCal, zone 9/18.

In early 2019, I bought and planted 3 Moonstones.

Around a year ago, i was already thinking of removing them. Wonderful in the spring, exquisite, lots of oohs and ahs, but then the four months of 90+ (often 100+) temps turn them into long skinny octopi with used-tissue-colored roses that fry three hours after opening. Plus, they are chili thrip magnets.

I took one out, but decided to give the other two one more year.

Well, this summer was just as bad as last year’s, and now I have two much bigger roses to dig up and replace.

The other probable departure this year is Sexy Rexy. I have two, loved them enough to bring them with me when we moved from 10a, but they don't seem to like the more alkaline soil here — and also do poorly in summer, not blooming at all from June to late August, getting tall and thin (for a floribunda) and infested with chili thrips. I’m thinking of Day Breaker or Bill Warriner as replacements; they’re known to do well here.

Both Sexy Rexy and Moonstone came into my life because I saw them at a local rose show. Someone is obviously growing them successfully around here — but i’m afraid it won’t be me,

strawchicago z5 thanked SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
  • rosecanadian
    2 years ago

What a great thread!!!

Carol...I love your sense of humor!!

Kristine - so true...if it doesn't bring you joy...why keep it. :) :)

strawchicago z5 thanked rosecanadian
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

There are the roses that I regret or got rid of because they were just horrible roses for my climate. They are roses that I struggled with for years before I got rid of them. But they were a lot of wasted expense and effort. Chalk it up to a learning experience. These include: 'First Crush', 'Earth Angel,' 'Glamis Castle'.

Then there are the roses that tease me for years by occasionally showing me just what incredible flowers they can produce, only enough to keep me hanging on, but otherwise leaving me sad and frustrated. The frustrating thing about these roses is that they leave me wondering that maybe there is just something I'm missing, that I can do to make them wonderful. So I hang on to them for years, hoping that I will find that secret. And sometimes...I do find that secret that makes them better (Abraham Darby and Sonia Rykiel), which makes it even harder to let go of the ones whose secret has not been discovered. Sometimes a discovery makes the rose better, but not enough (Falstaff). Some roses that I eventually gave up on include: 'Madame Isaac Pereire,' 'Alexandra Princesse de Luxembourg', 'Jude the Obscure', Still hanging on to 'Nahema', and 'Bolero' although my patience is wearing thin after more than 3 years.

A third group of roses may be the worst, because they are the hardest to get rid of. These are the ones that grow well, they might even bloom well, but have some quality that makes me regret getting it. I regret having gotten 'Ispahan'. Although as I had hoped, it is growing like gangbusters and produces a good number of flowers in the spring flush, I don't find it to be a particularly beautiful flower, and it has not given me much scent. 'Dee-lish' is a fine rose, growing and blooming, and has perhaps my favorite fragrance in the garden. But I find that the color and form of the plant doesn't fit my garden, and the plant always sticks out like a sore thumb to my eye. 'Princess Alexandra of Kent' is growing well, blooming well and has a nice fragrance, but the garish orange buds on opening make me cringe. My two 'Munstead Wood' have been growing steadily, blooming and frying. The flowers that open are usually fried by mid-morning. 'Iceberg' continues to grow and bloom, but the flowers end up quilled in the heat, and the leaves are a yellow-green that I don't like.

I need to learn from Kristine, and just yank the ones that don't bring me joy. Enough already.

strawchicago z5 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

Yes, Nose, shovel away. There are so many roses that I always wonder about. How would they have done with more time, better soil, etc etc.

But honestly, the ones I really love I will put up with and keep working with.

And you're right, it is hardest with roses that are thriving like Desdamona but the downside for me was that it always looked like it needed deadheading. It was a full time job just keeping it clean

I had 4 and took out 2.

Now as for Adobe sunrise, it was new last fall. I got two blooms this spring and not another thing since

It is only still there because those 2 blooms were pretty gorgeous, but, if in the spring it doesnt spring to life its gone.

At Last blows fast, but there is just something about that little shortie that I really like, go figure.

• Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
    2 years ago

My biggest regret this year has been ’Pretty Lady Rose’. It is a lovely plant and flower. It has lots of healthy foliage, grows well, bush shape is nice, blooms are large and I love the rich deep pink color and bloom form. However, it has two traits that drive me nuts. First, the buds take an excrutiatingly long time to develop. All of my other roses start and finish a new growth/bloom cycle before PLR even starts to show hints of color in the buds. And when it finally does bloom, the flowers don‘t really last all that long. Second, I HATE the fragrance. It is definitely very fragrant but the scent has a coarse and artificial quality that I dislike. Smells very much like raspberry kool-aid to my nose. Ugh.

strawchicago z5 thanked Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Above large bloom is Pretty Lady rose, the scent is strong carnation in my alkaline clay. It smells better at alkaline pH. Left red is W.S. 2000, and right red is The Dark Lady. I constantly have to douse Pretty Lady rose with Garden lime to keep it healthy plus to improve the scent. Below bouquet has Dee-lish on left, and Pretty Lady rose on right (the first bloom is much smaller).

Blooms last longer in my rock-hard alkaline clay (high in magnesium) fixed with gypsum (calcium sulfate) which helps with firm petals. Pretty Lady rose looks very good for mmm in CO & alkaline clay soil & topped with hard pebbles.

Evelyn normally lasts 5 days in the vase, but one time I doused it with SOLUBLE MG-for roses NPK 18-24-16 with my alkaline tap water at pH 9. With high phosphorus and high nitrogen I got soft & mushy Evelyn blooms that lasted only 2 days in the vase. The type of soil and fertilizer can affect the scent and vase-life.

When blooms don't last long in the vase, I UP calcium & potassium. Potassium regulates water osmosis, and calcium is to form the zillion petals. Rain leaches out both. When blooms have less petals, it's the 1st sign of calcium def.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

How funny, Kristine. I didn't realize how I was holding on to a number of roses due to a feeling of obligation rather than that of joy, until I read your words of "permission" to get rid of them. Out they go.

strawchicago z5 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    2 years ago

I don't have many but all of mine can produce some nice blooms in Spring.

Not as many as I would like, but they look good. Come summer, I can't keep up with the spraying and even a consistent watering schedule, and they decline pretty badly.

Two that are somewhat close to regret, though they always manage to win me back temporarily in the Spring:

Dick Clark - garish color, doesn't really fit in with the few others around him (Good as Gold, Julia Child, Love Song)

Rosie the Riveter (sparse bloom in the container she's in)

Belinda's Dream (never lived up to reputation, few blooms, spindly).

strawchicago z5 thanked Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
  • rosecanadian
    2 years ago

My regret was buying 2 Golden Age climbing roses this spring. One is doing very well (uber healthy)...I'm really happy with it....the other is meh. I never buy two of the same type of rose.

Straw - I love your MW200 bloom in the top picture....incredible bloom!!! Lovely bouquet :) :) :)

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

Straw I got a laugh out of your "I might as well plant plastic".... It reminded me of a story when I was little.

My parents had an old lilac bush that had been planted by a great great relative. The thing was so old that it really didn't do too well and had quit blooming for a couple of years. My dad wanted to tear it out and plant something else that would flower, but mother did NOT

want to give up on it. They argued about it... not terrible arguments, but it was a sore issue

My mother was a school teacher so when we road home with her, One day it was just full of blooms. That night my mother just raved and raved at how beautiful the bush was. Dad didn't say a word anything other than agreeing with her. The lilac bloomed and bloomed most that summer.... Kind of rarity in Missouri they normally only bloom in the spring there.... Mother commented that it must have known that Dad wanted to kill it. Dad agreed.

One day a neighbor stopped by and wanted to see this lilac bush that just bloomed its head off. Mother took her out to proudly show it off and found out that the blooms were plastic. Dad had spent a few times a week moving the plastic flowers around the bush.... adding a few here and there.... subtracting them. Mom was kind of embarrassed by the whole thing, but dad told her that if she wanted the bush he was going to help her have flowers.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

That's the best story I've read in a good while.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sharon: Thanks for sharing a wonderful story !!

That's what happened to me when I complimented my neighbor on her Climbing Rugosa. I was impressed .. it was loaded with blooms during hot summer. Rugosa doesn't bloom well in our rock-hard alkaline clay.

She told me she tied silk flowers on that, I didn't believe her and had to come up really close to look at the flowers, that was prettier than her other Knock-out roses with real flowers.

2 years ago

Laughing my head off!!! We were going to live on military base in MS, which had "yard of the month" required participation, but the winner had "gardened" with plastic and silk flowers! (We didn't live there, but I did buy 1$ silk Caladium and plopped them in while my real plants grew in.)

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw...if only you lived closer, I would have loved to tried your Desdemona..deer might even eat off the spent blooms....life it too short for lots of deadheading!

Now I have smelled Marilynn Monroe, I regret getting her...I get nothing and not thrilled with the color.

2 years ago

Im glad that you said that about Marilyn. Her picture on Palatine makes her look so pretty . But ugly and stinky, thats not much to recommend her

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Agree with Ann: Marilyn Monroe was the UGLIEST rose at Chicago Botanical garden (5,000 roses). Blooms look like big wads of toilet paper (soaked in urine) hung on the bush. Bush was very tall & thorny like a gangly porcupine, zero scent.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

That is so annoying to me about Marilyn Monroe. I don’t know how such an icon could be lame in both rose and hosta form🙄

strawchicago z5 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Talk about annoying, this is my Forever Rose, eh gads. So far it is not impressing me.

I will pot it and baby it and see what happens.

2 years ago

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw Is that the one you wanted forever or it takes forever to look good? Seriously, I hope it does better in a pot.

My Pinkerbelle looks about as bad, but someone said it was one of their top 10, so I'll give another year or 2 and try to find it's happy place or soil.

• Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
    2 years ago

Strawchicago, I love the the very vivid image of MM you evoke.Totally agree, It reminds me of Sutters gold flowers after they age. Melodye

strawchicago z5 thanked Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
  • rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Sharon - oh my goodness!!! What a lovely story!!! He must have really loved her!!!

Ann - man, those judges must have been blind. LOL I, also, am glad you shared that about Marilyn Monro. Thanks!

Straw - silk flowers!! I should go out and do that for all of my roses. LOL :) :) Oh my goodness, I laughed at your description of MM's blooms!!! Soaked in urine!!! LOL

Kristine - yeah, that's a pretty underwhelming rose! Hopefully it will get better. Another save from getting a rose I wouldn't be happy with. Thanks!

2 years ago

I shovel pruned Double Delight here in Melbourne, presumably grafted on Dr H. It never flourished and died back all the time. really sickly. I see it growing in the neighbour hood but still doesn’t impress with its lack of vigour. My neighbour has it as a standard( tree) rose which seems to do ok but that is probably on Multiflora. I have 2 nice shrubs of Dr Huey. unable to remove them when original graft died, I get some admiring remarks when they are in bloom, but I prefer the fleeting flowers of Indica Major which always remind me Spring is here. Melodye

2 years ago

The Forever Rose is suppossed to be pink which it is for about 5 minutes and them fades to dirty white.

Bordeaux will be taking that prime location while Forever Rose gets a chance to shape up in a pot

2 years ago

Kristine, Bordeaux is a great plant, I discovered yesterday after 3 years it actually has a light fruity perfume. It saved its place in the garden. I have enough scentless reds! Melodye

2 years ago

Sharon, your lilac story reminded me of my Mum, and an Apricot tree. It was a seedling tree and never flowered. Dad wouldn’t move it, One day my Mum got so mad with it she attacked it with an axe and much salty language. She was in mid swing and full voice when the local pastor came calling. She said it was her god given punishment to have to serve him afternoon tea. Dad was in stitches when he recounted the scene to me. The tree flowered next season I reckon she ringbarked it into bloom. It ended up being a very productive tree. Melodye

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Melodye - your Bourdeaux rose is sooooo beautiful!!! Those petals!!! That color!!! SWOON!

Oh my goodness I'm laughing at your mother's mad axe skills!!! Of course the pastor would come at that moment!! Too funny!! :)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

L.D. Braithwaite is one that I want to get rid off. I bought Tradescant, but received L.D. Braithwaite instead. It throws 5 feet tall VERY THORNY octopus canes, and very stingy in partial shade. I haven't killed it since it's behind a TALL brick border and I don't have the time to dismantle the brick border, lest rabbits jump in and eat the other roses.

I dread digging that out today. I'll put it in a corner way behind my garden just to collect THORNY canes so I can place around other roses to protect small own-root roses from being eaten by rabbits.

So I keep L.D. Braithwaite just to harvest its thorny canes !! Below is L.D. Braithwaite as 2nd-year own-root. Its bright red color hurts my eyes.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

L.D. Braithwaite thorns are WORSE than Radio Times, see below: