SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbi846

Need help with countertop decision, please.

I need some help please, with choosing new granite for our kitchen. I have spent hours looking at pictures and reading on Houzz. When we bought this house two years ago, we had only planned on replacing the backsplash and spend the money on other things first. The walls were painted peach and did not match the counter, backsplash, or stacked rock fireplace in the adjoining family room. After repainting with SW Universal Khaki, we realized the backsplash was not as terrible as we had initially thought. However, the need for new counters and backsplash changed with new appliances. Our new stove does not have the same flare on the top as the old stove, and we found out the hard way our granite was cut short when it was initially installed.

We have a very traditional home and are not gourmet cooks. We do use cast iron pans, but I don’t set them directly on the counter. I am not overly thrilled with quartz because we like the look of all the differences in the natural stones. I did not pay close attention to any quartzite when looking at slabs because I think it may be too formal for our modest home. I have read about soapstone and think it is beautiful, but I know I will fixate on every ding or scratch.

Now I am in a dilemma.

I am torn between doing a black counter in honed (Negresco) or staying with another white polished granite choice (White Paradise, Salinas, or?). We have polished black granite in our powder room, so going with the black in the kitchen, they would be similar. We also have a black and white stair railing. If we go the light route, I hope to have granite with some warm veins vs. overly gray since we have no gray anywhere in our house. I had initially decided on leathered black pearl for the countertop, but my husband wanted something with more character. If we decide to go with another light granite choice, we will most likely replace the counter in the powder room at the same time.

We have quite a bit of light, including under cabinet lights, pendants, canned, and chandelier over the table. In addition, we also have a solatube in the kitchen and family room. However, we are in the Pacific Northwest, so gloomy skies are typical for a good portion of the winter months.

Comments (2)