SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colorfulaura

need help with countertop decision quickly

colorfulaura
13 years ago

I had set my heart on Soapstone and picked out some wonderful Green Mountain with nice veining. Things I like are the veining and the fact that the counters stay warm, you can put hot foods on them and they are anti-microbial. They go nice with our hickory cabinets, green and wheat toned backsplash, brushed stainless appliances but go only ok with the oil-rubbed bronze features through out the house and kitchen (lights and door pulls and faucets) and it isn't the cheapest solution.

I also love the much more common and price effective Peac0ck Green granite. This goes even better with the cabinets and backsplash and looks great with the oil-rubbed bronze. I also love that it is shiny and will look the same way when it is put in as it will in a decade. I am not a fan of the "oiling" of the soapstone. I wish it was just shiny like granite. But the peac0ck doesn't have the veining (but it does have some gorgeous depth and iridescent coloring) and it also is a little colder and louder and COULD stain and might retain some bacteria because of being porous.

The Peac0ck is $2400 less than the Soapstone.

WWYD? My husband put money down at the fabricator for the soapstone already because he thought I was IN LOVE with it but I am thinking I like the peacock a lot and would LOVE to spend that $2400 somewhere more important to me like a ballet lessons all year for both daughters or on more swings and slide for the playstructure and a patio firepit.

PLEASE - tell me if soapstone is really worth that extra money when I do like the granite - if I could find granite that looked like the soapstone would but polished I would do it but I can't and I need to decide this by friday because that will be the day the fabricators make a template. The contractor is moving/installing cabinets this week. Is Peac0ck Green just too boring?

Thanks for your thoughts. I just can't decide. I feel I will have regrets either way.

Comments (3)