SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
tuesday_carter

womans approach to home repairs

I was just reading the post about using Youtube and it got me to thinking about the mulititude of home repair videos that I have referenced to.

As a woman, I have found to be careful of going into a hardware or builders supply and asking for help. I have come to never tell them that I, a mere woman, am the one doing the job. I have taken to making them believe that I have a man waiting at home to do it, although my husband is not that one that you would ever want to do such a thing. I have found that I often feel discounted if they think that I am the one mixing the mortar, or laying the tile, or reattaching the gutter.

I, as a woman, have rarely been shy of doing whatever needed to be done. The most limiting aspect is the matter of physical strength. Of course, being in the trade and having experience at doing that plumbing or drywall or simple carpentry is invaluable, along with the proper tools. But there are many men who have as little experience as I have , yet would not be suspected to be as incapable as they assume that I am.

One channel that I have come to like using is one entitled "See Jane Drill". It is a woman who presents it and unlike some of the men, there is no chest beating, bearing of teeth and competition associated with her videos. Some of these trades men are so full of themselves and so competitive with one another.

I have chosen out a couple of guys that I find relatable, kind of the more quiet types.

But, I like having a womans viewpoint.

As a woman, a housekeeper, a sewist, a cook, a landscaper, a caregiver, one who gives birth and nurtures life, among others, one thing that I have realized about my solution of how to do things is that I approach it as if I were using one of my many domestic or nurturing skills. I am not even beyound looking for something from the kitchen drawer to use.

I see my garden tools much as if they were spatulas and knives and mixing bowls and the yard is my dough rolled out before me.

My saws and drills and paint brushes and hammers and nails and drills and screws and straight edges and L squares are all a parallel to the same tooks that I keep in my sewing room and kitchen drawers.

I have been restoring my yard after years of a problem and I have been gathering organic and free materials that I have to chop, mix and "bake" just as I would in the kitchen.

Manipulating dough and cake decorating has given me caulking and spackling skills.

Sewing has given me building skills very much like carpentry.

General housekeeping skills have given me the ability to think outside the box and to be creative.

A man might destroy and rebuild using big machines. A woman is more likely to take a nurturing approach to it to make it better and to work with what is there and with what she can handle.

I have learned to never let them know that it is I, a mere woman, who is doing this work. I learned that lesson many years ago.

I like seeing a woman explain things. Lisa, of See Jane Drill is so good at explaining things and not talking down to you as if you are an incompetent ape incapable of using tools.

Some of these guys are engaged in so much posturing and seem to have such fragile egos to protect.

Any of your other women out there who have a phantom "I have a guy comiing over to do it" handyman?

The disrespect that I have gotten over the years has led me to these observations about the differences.

Sure there are some women who work in the trades. Having experience and knowledge and tools in certain trades is invaluable and I know when I am out of my league and pitching to the big boys, or gals. There are some things that it is best to get some experienced guys with toolbelts and puematic tools and upper body strength to do the job. They generally come in a pack.

But, I never let them know that I am my own "guy" when shopping for plumbing parts, for instance.

I do take a different approach and have done many, many things over the years that took some planning and execution in lieu of upper body strength or expensive tools.

Comments (47)