SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
ritu_s

master suite addition- how to maximize space

Blueflower S
last month
last modified: last month

Hi All,
I have a 1100 sq fy 1950s ranch home with 3b and 1 bath. We are looking to add a master suite and a half bath. Here’s the layout we have working with architect.

Overall its ok and gives me everything I wanted including an office space. I’ll be working from home 3 days a week so this will be handy.

Here’s what I am not very thrilled about. The massive bedroom space. There’s about 12ft of space between end of bed and the double doors out to backyard. It is nice to set it up as lounge space for sure but we have two living spaces in this house. And the way welive we go to bedroom just to sleep. The other thing I don’t like is the bathtub looking into backyard. Lastly the closet is not much of a “walk in” closet. Its pretty wide but not quite a walk in.
Here’s what I am thinking to do instead.(sorry for bad photo, changed layout via phone/instagram..)

This makes the bedroom smaller but still decent size (13by14), windows(north)) above nightstands, french door to backyard(east) on side of bed, the tub faces back fence(no house back there), and gives me a massive closet(7by 13ish). I will put a desk in there instead of a vanity. There will be a window there.

My husband is not thrilled about the ”smaller” bedroom. He pointed something else interesting though, this creates a 7ft hallway in the bedroom(ugh). So I tried changing it to make it a little better but ended up with a weird L shaped space for closet/office.

I need you guys perspective on what’s the better layout? Is the 7ft hallway terrible? How to organize the L shaped space for closet and desk area? This is going to be one expensive remodel(bay area) so I want to get it right. Hence, crowdsourcing ideas. Please please help!

Comments (64)

• acm
    last month

I just wanted to throw out there that some people keep a portion of their clothes in a dresser rather than a closet. That's part of the reason for the extra space in the room -- I'd be putting an upright dresser against the bathroom wall in your original layout, for all the underwear and tshirts and stuff that doesn't need to clog up the closet. Maybe some casual pants even! :) Of course, I'd do away with the barn doors and maybe change the sliders to french doors (or a single slider) to make the wall spaces more usable too.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m We can only extend out 23.6ft. I realized yours show way more than that. With a king bed, I am not sure this layout is possible. Thoughts?

• Related Discussions

Master Suite Addition

Q

Comments (23)
    Sorry, we've been cleaning and moving into the new bathroom. I'll have pix over the 4th. My old closet was a little smaller-5'8" by 9'10". The problem is more the shape. I could'nt get to the back third! Perhaps if I was more organized?? I like the walkthroughs Terriks posted. How old/many kids? Could you get away with a minimal laundry area? Stack the WD and have a folding sorting table with hanging above? You could put that directly at the hall door and that would leave options for the remainder of the space. I would expand the closet into that space and give myself a bathtub. With a door into the laundry. Or if you aren't a bath person you could have a bigger closet or shower or a private water closet so two can be in the bathroom. More to consider
    ...See More

Help with Master Suite Over Attached 1 Car Garage Addition

Q

Comments (11)
    Essentially, you'll have a box of 15x20, right? The bedroom is one is of the 15x part (maybe 15 by 13); and the closet and bath are the other end of the 15x (say 15x7 divided between the 2 spaces). If you do a walk in closet, you don't want it any narrower than 6 feet, but 7 is better (clothes take up 2 feet of space on either side, and you need to be able to walk in.) A lot of times, a reach in closet gives you more hanging room, esp if your closet will be shallow. A 13 foot wide room is wide enough for a king bed with small night stands on either side and nothing else. If you turn the bed on the 15' wall, there is more room to either side, but less at the foot of the bed. (a bed is usually around 7 feet long, so if it is on the short wall, you have lots of room at the foot of the bed.) The best thing to do is draw out your box on graph paper, cut out a few furniture graph papers and arrange them a few ways to see what looks like it will work best for you. Glad you will be using a contractor. Also, as you get bids from contractors, you will learn what can and can't be done (the tie-in to plumbing for the bath will be the trickiest/most expensive part).
    ...See More

House addition - Master suite

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd put the shower in the upper RH corner of the bathroom instead of on the left when you walk in, which makes the room feel more closed in. Then put the sink on the LH wall. If you want 2 sinks, center the door and put one on either side of the door. If you really want the sink along the whole wall, then swap the shower and toilet position, and make the door open to the left so you see the sink rather than the toilet when you walk in.
    ...See More

Master suite addition—which floorplan?

Q

Comments (10)
    Number three is what I am leaning towards as well. I agree with having windows added to the sides if they bedroom, the more natural light the better :) We’ve decides to work with an architect for the exterior work and I think they will review the inside. I think that’s a great idea to move the bedroom entry past the laundry, I hadn’t thought of that. When the kids are old enough to their own laundry that will be much nicer!
    ...See More
  • suzanne_m
    last month

Ok. I thought it was 35'6" but I should have taken the measurements from the other side. I was wondering how come it was so easy to make a layout. Now I have the explanation.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@RappArchitecture Is this what you mean? There will be nightstands, where to put the doors? What does this mean for WIC entrance? I hope I understood what you were saying.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@Mrs Pete Yes I have the exact same sentiment. I don't need that extra 12 ft. As far as office goes, I am on Zoom meetings all day with video on half the time. Zoom has some features that can set up virtual background so real background doesn't really matter from that perspective :). I spend half my day in meetings. My husband will be in other side of the house and is in meetings even more than me. I think if I really had to pick one from office and half bath, I'd pick half bath as I could really setup a desk in the bedroom itself to work although I prefer to not look at my desk after I am done with work.

• suzanne_m
    last month

How about this:

• suzanne_m
    last month

If you are ok with no door for the toilet, you can access the closet through the bathroom. This would allow you to put the bed on the West wall. Note that I don't know where you can put a towel bar for the shower.

• suzanne_m
    last month

I like Mrs Pete layout. I thought I could show it to you with the measurements. I added a powder room. I moved the closet on the right because the toilet room steals some space in that area which would mean that if the closet was there you would have little less storage.

I also put a pocket door to close it at night so you don't see the office.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last month

Blueflower S, yes, but if nightstands are required there would only be room for one opening to the study, probably along the bottom side adjacent to the walk-in closet. The entrance to the closet doesn't need to be so wide, one pocket door should be sufficient. An alternative to nightstands might be a headboard the full width of the bed with wall-mounted sconces or overhead lighting.

• suzanne_m
    last month

By rotating the closet and the powder room on the layout above (original version from Mrs Pete), you can get a larger closet, office and wet area. Note that I like that the closet door is close to the bathroom door.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m In the latest layout, looks like I'll be entering the room from the office. I like it overall. Here's some things that I am not so sure about. The information that I did not provide here is that, the new addition shares a wall with our small family room. Having two doors on that wall will be difficult.

One big reason I was moving the bathroom from the back of the addition to the side was that it'd allow me to widen the family room by 2ft or so. We are also opening the wall from kitchen to family room and adding a 10inch overhang on peninsula which leaves the family room width at about 11ft. Currently in the picture the big couch is right next to the wall. We will likely get a smaller couch but having that extra 2ft would go a long way in the family room. So out of the 23.6 I really only want to use 21.6 in the addition.

I am leaning more and more towards just giving up the office space and putting a desk in the bedroom itself. Also it sounds like our current bathroom might be a little too tight. The vanity is 5ft only where a little bit bigger would certainly be better. I am ok the toilet just being there in the bathroom instead of a water closet as well. That means the closet will be smaller so I might have to give up the idea of having double hanging space and just get a longer closet with one sided hanging and possibly shelf space on the shorter wall. Another reason giving up official office space might be the way to go. Honestly I did not have a separate room for office in mind, just something like a closet-office, like below. I just need to put a desk and don't really need much shelving but certainly was dreaming of being able to close it so I don't have to see it post work hours. Oh well!

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

I am leaning towards something like this.

• houssaon
    last month

It is more economical to have plumbing run together. Do you not like suzanne_m last iteration because the powder room opens to the public space?

• Mrs Pete
    last month

Are you willing to have a true , no wasted space reach-in closet?

A reach-in closet is a give-and-take type of thing. It's attractive in that it means no wasted space ... but it eats up a large amount of wall space, and with all these "moving pieces", the OP doesn't have a whole lot of wall space to spare.

I just wanted to throw out there that some people keep a portion of their clothes in a dresser rather than a closet.

Yes, a dresser could potentially sit at the foot of the bed. Again, the OP doesn't have a great deal of wall space.

With a king bed, I am not sure this layout is possible. Thoughts?

Is a king bed an absolute necessity?

I think this is the best layout so far. Specific thoughts:

- Walking through your office to reach the bedroom isn't ideal, but it does give you a larger desk and a more reasonable sized bedroom. I'd be willing to take this compromise.

- The traffic pattern is good. You don't have to walk next to a sleeper to reach the bathroom or the closet.

- If you flip-flop the office so that the desk is on the inside wall, you'd be able to have windows behind you, and that'd make for a more pleasant space. If you splurge on a bay window "behind" the desk, it would make the narrow office feel more spacious. If you have a green thumb, a bay window full of plants would make your office very pleasant.

- Do you need the pocket door between the office and the bedroom?

- The closet is well-placed in the middle of the space, and it's a nice size.

- I'm glad you got a window in the powder room, and it's a comfortable size now.

- Duplicate sinks just don't fit in this bathroom ... you're giving yourself essentially no storage in the bathroom, and that's going to matter every single day, whereas duplicate sinks are of little value even when storage isn't an issue.

- I'd lose the toilet closet /go with a pony wall. It'd be more comfortable to use, it'd allow light from the above-toilet window to flow into the bathroom, and it'd be easier to clean.

- The idea of a dresser has been thrown out ... note that the only space you have to place any additional furniture in this room is the foot of the bed.

if nightstands are required

Aren't nightstands always required? My bedroom is roughly 13' wide, and our king bed just fits with two large nightstands. We don't have a whale of a lot of space on each side of the bed, but it is not uncomfortable.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@houssaon yeah that is something we are trying to avoid. The family room is already small and having a door there to go to the restroom(around the couch and all) feels a little odd. I'd love to have the half bath by the double doors to the backyard for easy access.

• suzanne_m
    last month

It seems that you have eliminated the office. Maybe there are other options.

• suezbell
    last month

Like that last (Mrs Pete) plan with the walk thru study.

Add only one larger sink in the center of the master vanity so you can add a his/her cabinet on each side of the center shared mirror. His/her overhead storage (think overhead kitchen cabinets) AND more his and more her countertop space will be a lot more practical than two sinks. You can even add a mirror instead of a clear glass to glass front overhead cabinets just in case you ever need more mirror surface.

Make the walk thru study have a built in upscale butler's pantry vibe -- built ins (if possible, budget permitting, real wood with natural wood finish matching the bedroom furnishings) -- and add a small high window over the center seating area.

Make the WALL between walk in closet and walk thru study desk be a 6" deep wall so you can have 6" deep storage facing the study hidden by floor to ceiling cabinet doors behind which would be shelves between the studs -- not unlike an Amish hallway.

https://id.pinterest.com/pin/88242473925009655/ 

In the back awkward corner of your walk in closet, you might even consider yielding that corner to deeper storage for the office, if needed, such as for shelves to hold filing boxes and use the smaller hanging space beside it for LONG items -- dresses or coats, with the rest of the walk in closet having a second row of shorter hanging items (shirts, etc. ). You could consider adding a shelving corner within the walk in closet in that other corner for accessories -- purses and hats and caps ... and even a fire resistant lockbox.

Any extra wide open space in the bedroom could be used to add a rolling cart for storage of shoes behind closed cabinet doors -- keeping the shoe smells out of your closet. Add your favorite dry scent sheets in or near the shoes in that cabinet to help make the cabinet itself smell fresher when the doors are opened.

Choose seating ( perhaps wheeled seating) for the bedroom and patio and desk that can be interchangeably used -- matches or co-ordinates -- and can be parked where needed as needed. You could also consider including a small (wheeled) storage ottoman ( or two) with a flip lid (footstool/table) that could be used as storage for the quickest space to store a regularly used item out of sight (purse with her ID that is currently being used) (hat regularly worn) or the small backpack or carry case you throw in the car each time you go somewhere so you don't need to carry that stuff in your pocket or purse.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@Mrs Pete I think having the bathroom on the left with the latest layout is likely the best use of space. There is a lot of good things about that last layout but I don't want the powder room to be through the top of family room. That'd be a compromise. Also the going through the office to bedroom is odd. Additionally we have in-laws come visit and stay with us for couple months at a time and they watch TV a lot during the afternoon. Having the office right next to TV room won't be ideal when I am on meetings more than half the day. Also king bed is something we don't want to compromise. I think with the current space king bed is possible?

With the latest layout I posted, the half bath is closer to the double doors out to backyard and I get a big closet. However I do not get an office space. I could possibly fit my current 4ft desk on the wall opposite the toilet or may be the powder room wall. Although I"d like to hang a TV on that wall ideally.Even with so much space (500sq ft), its so difficult to carve out a reasonable office space and that's frustrating. I suppose if I do a shower over tub and single vanity that'd get me some space but we really don't wan't to compromise the bath. I am ok not having a wet room may be a standalone shower. Haven't played around with that in mind, it'd be good to see if that creates some space.

Lastly, can I ask about storage for vanity? The vanity itself can have storage correct? I am trying to fit a 6ft. vanity with storage drawers, is that not ideal?

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m yes in that latest plan I did remove office. I just wasn't sure how to get a nice closet and an office in the space.

• suzanne_m
    last month

I don't see that you get that much closet in your last layout. It looks like you have 9-10 ft of closet. I think there must be a way to re-organize and use some of the bedroom space to get you more closet. Are you willing to make your bedroom a bit smaller? I can try to work on it.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m Yes I think I am ok to give up a little bit more from the foot of the bed. We want king bed though. Thank you so much for your help.

• suzanne_m
    last month

Yes, I understand. I have a king size too and I would not depart from it. The layouts I showed have all a king size bed in them.

• suezbell
    last month

Consider not having a soaking bath tub -- have just a shower or a tub shower combination instead.

• suzanne_m
    last month

I don't know how you feel about having the entrance of the bathroom in this location but it gives you a big closet:

Blueflower S thanked suzanne_m
  • suzanne_m
    last month

This is one if you opt for a shower only. The powder is in the ideal location. The closet gives you 16'8" of hanging space. I added a full height cabinet to store towels etc.

• houssaon
    last month

I like the side entrance.

I moved the French doors and the door to the bedroom and made the closet bigger to add an area for the office.

• suezbell
    last month

The idea of having windows on both sides of the bedroom is a good one IF it can be made work.

If you must lose the windows and only keep the patio doors to get everything you want in this space, have you considered adding a skylight or two on the left side of the room for what light you would have gotten from that side?

How committed are you to the idea of a luxury (w/tub in a shower) private master bath plus a powder room?

In your originally posted plan, how inconvenient would it be to change the location of the door to this addition along that wall of the existing house to put the new full bath on the left and the powder room with a pocket door on the right ... each about 6' deep, including depth of wall, leaving you 17' for your bedroom and closet and study space? With 12'3" for the bedroom, would leave only 4" deep for traditional (rather than walk in) closets the full 20' width of the addition.

Then, Instead of having a 20" wide bedroom / bed space, create your office space behind your headboard that is placed against a room dividing unit -- a headboard height solid back to the unit (creating a wall against which the headboard could be placed as well as wall sconces ) but with open shelving beside and above the built in centered desk part of that unit.

You could have skylight and/or windows providing light for that side of the room that also lets light into the bedroom.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m @houssaon The potential issue I am seeing with hallway in the middle is that there will be our family room couch there a that will block half of the hallway. If we move it farther back it might be too tight between that and the double doors. Also the couch might be way too far from the TV which will be in the family room on the same wall along the bathroom. I DO love the way the office is carved in @houssaon version and the bigger closet.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suezbell I am not sure I am able to visualize your suggestion. Are you recommending having both baths along the 20' depth on the addition on the bottom and have a full 20' reach in closet on the top wall? I am not sure we can fit 2 baths with a doorway in 20'. Were you suggesting something else?

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

Also wanted to mention out of the 23.6 ft extension that we can do, I really want to save 2 ft for my family room expansion as it is on the smaller side.

• suezbell
    last month

It depends upon how you arrange your bath and what you want in it. IF you want the tub in the shower enclosure, that takes up more space and it will not work.

If the wide side of a more traditional tub/shower enclosure (about 2'6" deep) is against that left outside wall, the space in front of a 5' wide vanity would also be the walk space to access the tub /shower enclosure and the next few feet would be the toilet. Even with walls, that's less than 12", easily leaving about 8' for hall and powder room.

Something you might consider is only one full bath but have the powder room part of it larger and accessible from both hall and the rest of the full bath. If you want two sinks, you could put one in the powder room part of the full bath and another beside the tub/shower enclosure.

• suzanne_m
    last month

This layout is 20'0" x 21'6":

If you prefer, you can make your closet and your powder room 6'9" wide. That would give you a 14'5" x 13'5" bedroom. If you do so, your toilet area or shower shower can be 3" bigger.

• houssaon
    last month

With the last floor plan, you could use the first 4.5 feet for the office with a built in desk that closes. You would still have more than 12 feet of closet.

• decoenthusiaste
    last month

I prefer suzanne_m's plans with a shower instead of a wet room, however, I'd want the shower large enough for two people and a wheelchair, if this is your forever home. I'm not a bather, so you may prefer having a tub, but free standing tubs are a PITA unless you have hired help with cleaning. It is also proven that sounder more secure and restful sleep is attained when the bed is placed opposite the door, so that aspect is better! If you already have two sitting areas, I suggest you set up your office in one of them. I try to keep all the EMFs and associated electronics as far from the bedroom as possible. At night I turn on airplane mode, turn the phone off and stash it in a metal filing cabinet (overkill, right?) I know someone who is legally disabled due to EMF sensitivity, and who knows what's really happening to our electric bodies when we're under this constant bombardment!.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m thank you for all your time and effort in drawing all these variations. Thank you everyone else who provided feedback for your time and help. Really appreciate it. I like this latest version. I will review with my architect and see where this goes. Even if we have to pivot, I have gotten a lot of great ideas/options in this thread to consider. I will update this thread as I have more info.

• suzanne_m
    last month

You need at the minimum 22" in front of the toilet to be to code. This means you can make your bathroom 7'0" x 4'3" and your office 5'0"x 7'0". It all depends on where you want the 3" space. My powder room is 5'0" x 4'3" and it is fine.

I am always curious on how the final layout turns out as I also learn new options. Please, let us know how it goes.

• emilyam819
    last month

I do like this latest version, but your original version gives the office a window.

• suzanne_m
    last month

True that a window in an office is really appealing. This layout gives you one (or two windows) but there are pros and cons that imo is worth considering:

PROS:

- Windows in the office

- Slightly bigger office (4 square ft more)

- Wider vanity

CONS:

- Smaller closet (3 ft less for hanging space)

- Smaller powder room

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m thank you for the new layout. I will absolutely let you know what we go with. Is 6'3" by 3'6" enough for a tub shower combo? My husband does want a tub. Or if we let go of the wet room idea and do separate shower and tub, we could make it work? For office, I am thinking even if it won't have a window a skylight would be helpful. Also I can leave the office door open while I am working so that'll feel a little bit more open and better ventilation.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

I don't mind a smaller powder room. As long as it can fit, let's say a pedestal sink and a toilet that is good. I would love a bigger closet and I am ok with a smaller office although window would be really desirable in the office.

• suzanne_m
    last month

Ok. I just want to clarify: When you say tub shower combo, do you mean a tub separate from the shower because I call it a wet area. A tub/shower combo to me is a shower inside the tub (.i.e. just a tub no separate shower at all).

• suzanne_m
    last month

If you are ok. with no separate shower I can drew it again. It would be something similar but I would move the toilet. Even if I make the powder room small, I cannot add more space in the closet but I can give you a 4'6" separate closet accessed either by the family room or accessed by your bedroom.

• Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m yes I meant a shower over tub configuration.

• emilyam819
    last month

In suzanne’s latest layout, the toilet and sink can face each other. Then the closet can be a little bigger.

• suzanne_m
    last month

Here's another one where your husband can have a jacuzzi and you can get a shower. I put the toilet as close as possible to the sink so you have more space when you get out of the shower. You still have 14' of hanging space in your closet. By making the powder room as small as possible, you can get some storage that maybe useful in your family room. The office is smaller but with a window it won't seem as small. You lose the full length cabinet in the bathroom. You face the toilet when you enter in the powder room:

The office and powder room doors are 2'4" wide.

You get pretty much all your wants but you have less floor space.

• suzanne_m
    last month

I made the powder room as small as I can and it allowed for a bigger shower and more space in front of it:

Note that a pocket door in the powder room would be better as you would not be squeezed between the sink and the door when you need to enter or exit the powder room. If not, a 2'0" door would be better than a 2'4" door.

• houssaon
    last month

I like the rendition prior to the last. I switched the bath pocket door so it faces the sinks and tub.

Blueflower S thanked houssaon
  • Blueflower S
    Original Author
    last month

@suzanne_m I really like the prior to last design as well. It has everything on top of a small closet in the family room. Thank you so much for all your efforts. I'll keep this thread posted.

• suzanne_m
    last month

I looked at my last layout this morning after a night of sleep and I really don't it. The powder room is too narrow. I agree, the layout prior to the last one is a lot better.

Note that the software I use draws walls 4" thick but the thickness of a wall is in reality 4.5". You will need to make little adjustments to this layout. Also, a wall with a pocket door is 4 5/8 thick.

One other little change you could do to this layout is to center the bathroom door with the vanity. That would be my preference. In that case if you like the location of the tub towel bar, you need to make measurements between the door and the tub towel bar before you decide exactly where the pocket door is. You want to make sure you that when you put screws in the wall to mount the towel bar, the door can fully slide inside the wall without hitting the screw used to mount to the towel bar. Based on my drawing you may be missing .5 to 1" to open the door completely. This is not the end of the world. You have other options such as:

- mount the towel bar 1 in. off center to the tub or

- mount the towel bar on another wall or

- just to be safe, place the door 1" off center to the vanity. It would not show that is off center.

One last thing, You don't have a full height cabinet to store towels inside your bathroom. You could reserve 1' of your closet for that purpose if you like.

EDIT: You could have the powder room on the South wall and have the 1'6" x 4'3" closet in your bedroom to store the towels etc. This way you can keep all the space in your closet. The storage could be 1'8" not 1'6" if you prefer since a 5'0" powder room is fine.