SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
organic_kitten

What a time I've had getting back on

organic_kitten
last month

My computer died and I have just now managed to get back on here. All photos were copied to a back-up disc, but my garden files were not and are gone. At least I have a hard copy of plants by bed, but blooms times etc are not on them.

Also a new computer is being built, and will not be available until mid September according to HP so I am chained to this laptop that belongs to my husband. I won't be able to access photos until the system is up.

But, at least I can finally see what you have been posting.

kay

Comments (9)

• shive
    last month

My sympathies on your dead computer. It's always such a pain when that happens. At least you have access to your husband's laptop, even though you can't post your pictures.

Welcome back! You have been missed.

Debra

organic_kitten thanked shive
  • Nancy 6b
    last month

I missed you Kay, glad it was just a computer!

organic_kitten thanked Nancy 6b
  • mantis__oh
    last month

Nothing so frustrating as tech problems.

organic_kitten thanked mantis__oh
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last month

Glad to see you back Kay! I was wondering why we hadnt seen you here. computers……a necessary evil at times.

Sherry

organic_kitten thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • organic_kitten
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you, Debra, Nancy, Mantis, Sherry, and Brad. Yes, Mantis, it is hair pulling time. Brad, the shop said the drive would spin but not read and claimed that it was dead, but we kept it and will try a couple of other things, My son is an IT professional and I will draft him to investigating before I totally give up that it is forever gone.

I am glad that I could get back on Houzz (sounds odd as much as I complain about them) because I missed the posts, I had planned on only one more post since it is rebloom and I am not really taking photos, just the last post with an actual FFE, but I may eventually be able to post on some program or other. ?The wait is long, but the new ones should be nice and much faster too.

kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    last month

Each time I have to update my Mac to a new OS version I keep my fingers crossed that everything will be back to where it was in the previous verison. I do backups but not on a regular basis. Glad to know you have an alternate computer for getting on the internet.

Julia

• Brad KY 6b
    last month

If the hard drive is the problem, you should be able to have a new hard drive to put into your computer,, laptop or desktop.. If it is a desktop, the only thing that should require a new computer is if the motherboard or processor goes bad, and processors virtually never go bad. Even with that a processor or motherboard can be replaced, perhaps by your son. Some people can even replace those in laptops, but not me.

Yes, I'm skeptical. I've seen the so called dead computers diagnosed by Best Buy and others, and proceeded to fix what they claimed couldn't be fixed or retrieve what could't be retrieved.; sometimes it has been a minor thing that was actually wrong. I would find it quite unlikely that something else went bad the same time as the hard drive unless lightning caused a massive power surge and you don't have a surge protector.

There are programs that can read hard drives that just spin and not read. I used one once. It is a pain and a time consuming thing, but I retrieved most of my info. The big problem is when they won't even spin.

Get a solid state drive [SSD]. Or if you get a new computer, you want one with a SSD. They are the same technology as the little portable flash drives. No moving parts to go bad and way faster than regular hard drives. And right now prices for SSDs are pretty low.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    last month

Julia, there are always issues when changes are made with a computer, but I really look forward to returning to my large sceen monitor and away from this little laptop, problems or not.

kay