SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anenemity

Is this an efficient, acceptable kitchen layout?

Sorry in advance about the length of this post. I am trying to include all the info that is recommended in Beuhl’s FAQ.

We need to replace several of our appliances, and we have decided to rework our layout instead of a simple 1:1 swap. The appliances are undersized without room in the current layout to simply replace with bigger versions.

Here’s the empty layout. Written measurements include window and door trim even though the drawing itself does not. I forgot to label it, but the cased opening on the right-hand wall above the pantry leads to the family room.

Here’s the current layout.

Things we don’t like about current layout:

- Oven. It is only 27” and doesn’t work very well.

- Cooktop. I hate having it on the peninsula, and the cabinet underneath is mostly taken up with the downdraft ductwork. For whatever reason, I end up doing most of my prep in that little sliver of counter between the fridge and cooktop. Not ideal.

- Refrigerator. Undersized for our family of 6, and the single door blocks the passageway when open because of its position relative to the peninsula. Mostly an issue when we’re trying to put groceries away and have the door open for longer than usual.

Things that I like, or at least don’t mind, about the current layout:

- Size. I cook from-scratch meals daily, but I am a solo cook. There are other people coming and going, of course, but usually just to retrieve a cup or some such, not to help substantially with the meal.

- Pantry. It’s a bit out of the way, but it’s fine. I usually pull out the ingredients I need before I start cooking and am not going back and forth all the time. People can also get their own snacks without interfering with the work zone (why they’re getting snacks when I am clearly almost done with dinner is a different issue). It’s a good size, too.

- Dishwasher. Most of my bigger items are stored in the blind cabinet immediately adjacent to the dishwasher. As a result, I have to unload those items onto the counter first, then close the dishwasher to put them in the cabinet. On the other hand, most of my bulky stuff gets hand-washed anyway. My flatware is stored in the drawers of that same cabinet, which is very easy to unload without even having to pivot.

- Cabinet on breakfast room side. I store the kids’ board games and coloring stuff in this cabinet for easy access.

- Eat-in. We eat exclusively in the kitchen (and the dining room a few times a year), so seating is a must.

- Closed concept. No desire to open it up to the adjacent family room. I really don’t want to know what they’re doing out there.

About us and our house:

- Family of six – four kids ages 4-11, plus my husband and myself. I cook from scratch daily, but I am the only cook. Everyone helps with cleaning up afterward.

- Modest middle-class neighborhood in the suburbs. 1980s neighborhood, well-kept but not extensively renovated. A huge kitchen would be an aberration here. I could be swayed into combining the kitchen and breakfast room, but it would have to be a really compelling argument with lots of added benefits.

- We don’t entertain or have parties, and we are past the point of deluding ourselves that we might someday become that type of people.

- Crawl-space foundation, so relatively easy access to plumbing and electrical.

- I am open to changing/moving windows, but it would probably need to be completed in a future phase. Planning around that future change is fine, though. I don’t care if the sink is off-center or even under the window at all. It faces north-ish (and is under a porch overhang besides) so it doesn’t get direct sunlight.

- We want standard size appliances – 30” range, 24” dishwasher (keeping existing), 36” French-door fridge (counter-depth if absolutely necessary, but we could use the full capacity of a standard depth). We don’t need wall ovens. We have a microwave but don’t use it much.

- Single basin sink

- We are going to be working with Ikea cabinets, so no 21”, 27”, or 33” sizes. Technically they have a 21” but not with drawers. And of course, drawers are preferred wherever possible.

- We park in the garage and bring groceries in through the garage door. Kids don’t really use that door much. The laundry room is a dead end.

-We don't want to renovate the entire first floor, we just want a functional kitchen. Yeah, I know the half bath would be better placed elsewhere, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

Here’s a first stab at what I could do. I have left off upper cabinets for clarity. 2” filler pieces at corners and edges.

One of the 18” cabinets between the sink and the DW would be a trash pullout so you could stand at the sink and have the cabinet and the dishwasher open at the same time. Flatware and dishes would then go in the other 18” cabinet, which could also be open at the same time as the DW for easy unloading.

I still have a bit of a traffic jam with the fridge, but swapping the fridge and cabinet and using a French door model helps somewhat. Counter depth would add an additional 5” of circulation space.

I know some would consider the counter overhang redundant with the kitchen table there, but I really think we would use both in equal measure. If I eliminated the overhang I could shift the peninsula even further into the breakfast room and free up even more space in front of the fridge.

Any other creative solutions I can try?

Comments (40)