SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennymama123

Make my kitchen more efficient

jennymama123
12 years ago

Hi all,

Just purchased my first home and I'm looking to increase the functionality of my 10x12 kitchen. I'm a little stumped on the layout. I don't want to get into moving plumbing/gas/etc. around as that will drive up the cost too much. As of now the plan is new cabinets, counters, sink, backsplash, and floor. I'd like to keep at least the fridge and stove as they're fairly new (or at least barely used). My wish list:

Increase counter space between sink and stove. There is plenty of counter space between fridge and stove, but for me that's not as functional or efficient.

{{!gwi}}

Single bowl sink.

{{!gwi}}

Range hood if possible? The kitchen gets very hot and also I think a range hood would help cut down on grease splatters all over the kitchen (is this a correct assumption?). The exhaust fan that's there is vented to the outside. I would sacrifice the over-oven microwave for a hood.

{{!gwi}}

We are also considering (depending on cost - I'm sure it's load bearing) opening the wall between the kitchen and dining room - similar to this:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a rendering of the kitchen from above:

{{!gwi}}

We have an ikea bookshelf here temporarily. We are considering adding some wall cabinets as base cabinets to add storage without disrupting the path from the back door to the rest of the house.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (11)