SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anatol_pomozov

Hollow sound at installed LVP. What is my next step?

Anatol Pomozov
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello folks

I am new to flooring and TBH I don’t know what to really expect from LVP/SPC planks. So I am asking you who has more experience in this area. Maybe you have your opinion on my situation.

A couple of weeks ago I hired a contractor to install SPC planks to my house. I’ve decided to go with GAIA TERRA flooring brand that has a nice color and texture. Here is the product itself https://www.gaiafloor.com/index.php?id=2044

I read about LVP/SPC and many guides say subfloor leveling is important. So before the project started I asked my contractor if he is going to do subfloor leveling. He said that he’ll take care of it.

My first floor had glued down floor (engineered hardwood if I am not mistaken) and the contractor said that removing it will take *a lot* of work. So to save their time they just install the floor on top of the existing one. The SPC floor was quickly installed. Though I have not seen that leveling has been performed over this subfloor.

I started using the new SPC floor and found that several places have hollow sounds when stepping on them. It quickly became annoying. I checked the new floor with a level and there are several noticeable bumps. You can see it here

Is it something to expect from an SPC floor or is it just a result of poor job and needs to be fixed? How to fix the issue? Is it something I can do myself or it has to be fixed by the contractor?

I am going to contact the contractor and ask him about it but I wonder what to expect in this situation?

Comments (3)