SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alissa_binford

Help! Leveling subfloor for LVP install

A B
2 years ago

We are creating an in-law suite in our basement and ripped out all the carpet. The in-law kitchen cabinets have been installed. I purchased 1500 sq feet of Provenza LVP in sweet talker which was supposed to be installed this past Monday. After hemming and hawing for an hour, the flooring installer told me that the basement concrete slab is not level enough to do the LVP install. Initially they said they could easily level a couple areas. They've since backed off and told me to get a concrete company to do it. We had someone out and they've quoted me $3k to apply self-leveling concrete to the areas, nearly doubling our labor cost on flooring. The concrete guy says it still won't be perfectly level. Currently, or slab a couple drops of up to 1/2 inch, most are < 1/4".

Is this step necessary? Or even worth it?

Has anyone had to apply self-leveling concrete prior to laying LVP?

My big concern is we are going to shell out another $3k for something that won't make much of a difference. If I hadn't already spent a small fortune on LVP (which i can't send back), I'd be thinking about tile and carpet at this point. We picked LVP because I thought it would be the best option with a slab.

Would love advice from someone who's been through a similar scenario. Thanks!

Comments (7)