SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kriscarlee

Neighbor’s bathroom vent smell in our yard

kriscarlee
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I need advice. Our rear yard neighbor converted their garage to an ADU. Their house is about 3 feet from the rear fence line. We have a detached garage with an attached bedroom about 4 feet from the rear fence line with a walkway and small patio area in front of the bedroom.

The way their bathroom vent (it is a bathroom exhaust for the bathroom fan per the owner) is positioned - the smell will come into our yard and close to the bedroom and patio area so I cannot leave the door open for too long or sit outside too long with the smell. there is a smell - almost like something burning (smoky smell with plastic/soap smell).

The owner verbally told me there is a permit but i couldn’t find it online. Is the vent legal or anything I can do?

if it is legal, any ideas on how to deal with this? thanks!

**edited to add more details:

it is a vent for the bathroom exhaust fan. the owner told me. it is not for a dryer.

yes there is a smell that lingers. thats how i first noticed it. thought something was burning. it has a smoky/metal/soap smell and it lingers into our yard. it is an irritating smell. it doesnt dissipate fast. if the wind is stronger the smell will travel in front of our garage.

and yes, under the bathroom exhaust fan is the bathroom window so it does feel really close to the neighbor.

it has been since early 2021 we smell it every day. owner says nothing is wrong and they can do a ”courtesy cleaning” to help with the smell.

owner has solar panels on roof so i assumed that is why they could not put bathroom exhaust on the roof. so we have been experiencing it for a few months now. i am not making up the smell - it truly lingers and i tried to give the neighbors a few months to look into it but nothing changed and they say it is fine and in working order.

the owner also has a loud window a/c three feet from the rear fence. they said they do not need to comply with setback because it is a window a/c, not a fixed a/c.

ive tried to read up on the CA codes (ca mechanical code and plumbing code) and i get so lost. says 3 feet from property line but then says exhaust should not discharge on public walkway, or near doors/windows or occupied spaces.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!