SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_822871933

Backyard Reno - Questions about Regrading & Process

Amanda Speva
2 years ago

I hired a contractor to overhaul my backyard and I'm wondering if things are being done right. He came recommended from a neighbor and his reviews were really great, including when I met him in person for a consultation. My gut is now saying, SOS, and I don't have the time nor do I want to continue to micromanage every step of the process. So simply checking in with the pros here to see if I should cut my losses now or have him fix a bunch of stuff aka micromanage the rest of the way.

• We're two days into the project right now, and he didn't show up this morning, stating that he had an emergency project today, so no work is happening.
  • Initially when we met, I made a detailed drawing showing exactly what I wanted - regrade of whole backyard, flagstone paths reset, flagstone patio installed, sod installed and some privacy shrubs installed. I also showed him that the soil around the garage is too high, resulting in moisture and bug intrusion issues, and he said he would take care of it by regrading the yard. Regrading the backyard is in the contract list of #1 necessary to do's.
  • My understanding, through research, is that you rip everything out and regrade the yard first - establishing a proper slope for everything - then move onto hardscaping. However, he insisted on installing the hardscape paths first and the patio. I'm foreseeing issues with this approach right now, as the paths will be too high to allow water to run away from the buildings.
  • Path 1 to the garage door has been reset by him and his team and it's even higher up on the garage foundation than it was previously.
  • I've had them adjust the stone paths twice already - first to alter the shapes of the paths to get them closer to an approved drawing that I made (they're still not totally on point / polished / the shapes that we agreed to) and the second time, I made them add plastic landscape borders around the flagstones because the fine rock was going everywhere.

We're 2 days in and seeing as he's not here today, I'm willing to pay him and his crew for the time they've spent thus far, before he buys large flagstones for the patio and sod and shrubs, and then find someone who understands the importance of proper grading at the start... but I'm open to your thoughts if I'm wrong about any of this.

Link to detailed photos here: https://imgur.com/gallery/0hNyI3b

Current state of backyard:

My drawing / plan (aspen tree is not going in anymore):

Comment (1)