SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_532679605

What to expect from a kitchen/bath designer?

A S
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm getting estimates for a kitchen/bath and new floors project.

I contacted 3 local 'kitchen designers for estimates. Perhaps overly optimistic I was expecting they would come in with not only cabinet layout ideas but also make recommendations on pulling a beautful well designed kitchen together, including hood options, backsplash and lighting ideas- Instead all three guys basically offer 2 or 3 brands of cabinets (low/med/high end) to choose from but beyond that I keep hearing, 'whatever you want''. What material or color countertop would you recommend? Whatever you want. What kind of backspash would you recommend? Whatever you want. What are you seeing other clients using? whatever you want. Essentially from each I'd just get cabinets. So why aren't I just going to a cabinet store and price shopping? They'd install whatever else I pick out on my own but I don't know exactly what I want other than pics of white kitchens I've admired for general look/feel I'd like to achieve. Yes they will bring in the electrician and plumber but I was/am looking for more actual complete design. Does that make sense?

I want recommendations- Give me a few choices that work really well together, etc. show me quartz and backsplash ideas that work really well with the soft white cabinets, lighting ideas for the space etc. I get met with blank stares when I ask as they respond 'whatever you want'. Install client supplied is the 'go to' on many line items outside of demo kitchen, install cabinets, electricity, plumbing etc. on the estimates.

Outside of selling me cabinets and bringing in people to do demo/ installation they clearly aren't interested in pulling together a whole kitchen look - so it's got to be me. The goal of reaching out specifically to kitchen design companies wasn't to do a ton of running around overwhelmed not knowing what I'm doing so I'm clearly missing something _ I'm certain there's a category of designers that do this for people that don't have time or experience. Help point me in the right direction please.

Comments (18)