SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127

What should I expect from my architect? Long!

cheri127
7 years ago

Hi. I'm new to this board as I'm getting ready to build my first house. We hired a well known architect in our area and I thought we hit it off just fine. However, when it came time to begin working on the design things seemed a little off. We met with him for about an hour and were surprised that he didn't have a check list or any other organized way to determine what we wanted and didn't want. Our design meeting lasted about an hour.

A couple of weeks later I asked if we could meet and he showed me his preliminary plan. I took the plan home to study it and though it was a fine plan it didn't really fall in line with the look we were after. I emailed him with some pictures to better explain what we wanted and was a little dismayed by the reply. He mentioned how many hours had gone into our design and that it would probably take another 10 hours or so to change it around but he would do it as long as I was sure what I wanted, I felt stunned. I know time is money but we were in the initial design phase! I reworked the floor plan to my liking and met with him. This time I worked really hard to make sure I communicated what was important and how much I really liked the plan I drew and asked him to design the rest of the house around it.

Well, another week went by and I asked for a progress report. I grudgingly received very preliminary drawings a week later and to my dismay, much of what I drew had been changed!. It's a great plan buy not MY plan. So here's my question. I've never worked with an architect before but always imagined that designing a home was a collaborative effort, not an hour meeting followed by a full design that gets a few tweaks. Am I wrong? Should I be paying more for more time? I felt his price was reasonable but maybe that's because he invests less time. I don't know what to think. Could someone please tell me where my expectations should be? I don't want to be unfair and complain if what I'm experiencing is normal. Thanks!

Comments (22)