SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esmithphoto

How long should I expect?

esmithphoto
8 years ago

So I've lived in the same place for roughly 15 years.

I got a simple/cheap FL Kenmore when I got the house. The drier is still going strong, but the washer died after around 8'ish years. Too expensive to repair. This time I got a FL Amana... and it is almost dead after around 7 years. I'm calling a repair person tomorrow, but the sounds it's making make me think it's the bearings. It kinda sounds like someone is making popcorn down in the basement, but when you get there, it is clearly a bad metal-based sound from the back.

Call me old fashion, but at around... 650 for the Kenmore (A guess, I really don't remember) and around 750'ish for the Amana (again, a guess)... I had really hoped they would last longer. Not that I "expected" it to, but both of those were a lot of money (to me!)

We do 2-3 loads of laundry a week. I don't stuff it, but the loads are full. I always use a FL liquid detergent. I don't use the fancy features. Besides controlling temp we do some delicate loads. That is it.

I've avoided the expensive setups because I wouldn't use many of the "features". Why pay for them? But now I'm wondering... do the more expensive ones last longer? I'm willing to pay some extra to not be stuck in the situation I'm in right now.

I saw that awesome write up by sandiego_steve on the FL SQ - and it does sound it is built to last and don't throw in features I wouldn't use. Very appealing. But $1,600? Really?

So, for the people who have spent the "big bucks" (to me) on those higher end washers... do they actually last longer, or are you just paying for features (that, personally, I wouldn't use)? And do the SQ last?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor