SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

How long until sprouts

I just planted some heirloom tomato seeds today. They are under a humidity dome at room temps (approx 70 degrees). How long should I expect to wait to see some sprouts?
Thanks,
Bruce

Comments (36)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Soil temps is what counts in germination and soil temps will always be lower than air temps without some applied heat source. How much cooler all depends on many things, type of soil, depth of soil, water temp used, air circulation, etc..

So at say 60-65 degrees soil, approx. 7-10 days. Warmer soil means faster germination. 75-80 degree soil will usually get germination in 3-4 days assuming proper soil moisture levels.

Dave

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I grow peppers and have heat mats with a thermostat. I guess i can dig it back out and set it up for a week or so. Thanks for the advice. I usually set it at 83 degrees for my peppers. What should I set it at for tomatos?
    Bruce

• Related Discussions

What to do with sprouting dahlias until planting time?

Q

Comments (3)
    I am not quite ready to un box my stored tubers yet, but what I do is place each tuber in a sandwich sized baggie. with some moist - not soaking wet - peat moss. It allows me to have 20-40 tubers in a standard tray. I keep the baggie mostly closed until I see sprouts, then open it so the sprout doesnt rot. I keep some in a south facing window, and others under fluorescent lights. The baggies take up a lot less room than pots do. The fast growers end up getting moved into pots, but space is at a premium in my growing area, so pots are on an "as needed" basis.
    ...See More

What's the best way to germinate Chermoya seeds?

Q

Comments (25)
    Patty, yes the trees get all the measly chill hours South Florida has, since the trees are outside. My adult tree already shed all its leaves in September, and lost most of the new ones in hurricane Wilma last month.But they are coming back again. The Atemoya and Sugar Apple trees are still leafy. I have to hand pull the leaves from my Sugar Apple trees in Dec/January since they don't drop them all themselves. Same with regular Apple trees- it just doesn't get cold enough for long enough to make them shed cleanly. I don't know why the Cherimoya shed so early. Possibly the dry conditions caused it. BFreeman- the question was answered.. What makes your method the best? It takes a lot longer than the way I do it-what is the benefit? Are the seedlings healthier if they take longer to germinate? Lisa
    ...See More

how long to wait until moving seedlings outdoors?

Q

Comments (2)
    I always seem to have the problem of the plants having to wait for me to get around too it. In my earlier years, when I had more time for such things on my hands, I would always transplant them into net pots in the house and keep them there until roots came out the bottom then transplant them outside. They probably had the first set of true leaves on them by then. now I generally start them in potting soil in '6 packs' then was off the dirt and transplant when I can, leaving them outside the whole time. Regarding what you said about plant support: I personally think the support provided by the hydroton is superior to soil for newborns. There is more give so if the plants happen to get pushed over they're less likely to snap at the soil line. When they're larger, that is another issue. Then you have to worry more about your troughs "rolling over" in heavy wind more than the plants toppling out of or pulling out the net pots. Any plant that top heavy generally gets overhead support anyhow.
    ...See More

How long until cherimoya sprout?

Q

Comments (2)
    usually this is the type of thing that would be posted in the Tropical Fruit section, if you were not aware
    ...See More
  • helenh
    10 years ago

My tomatoes come up in a week with no heat mat. I would dig it out for peppers but tomatoes will come up fine without it unless you are in a hurry. I usually put my tray on top of a shelf or refrigerator in a heated room and move them to the basement under lights as soon as they sprout.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Helen is right. In a hurry - heat mat @ 75 degrees as i mentioned above. Otherwise just find a warm place to set them.

Dave

PS: just for clarification, it makes no difference if they are "heirloom" varieties or not. Same for any tomato seeds.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. Gonna dig out the mats I guess. 75 degrees?
    I didn't know if the heirloom thing mattered much. But with all the crazy hybrids out there, I figured it might factor in.
    Thanks all for the help.
    Bruce

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Bruce, I have seen more folks COOK their seeds when using those humidity domes than you can imagine. If you feel you need to use them then prop open one end to allow for air and lack of build up of humidity.

Time to germination has many variables.

The first one is seed age. With traded seeds you seldom have a clue, with purchased seeds you'll often see packed for, and some date, but that's the packed for date, not when the seeds were produced.

Heart varieties lose viability quicker than others.

Also, what specific mix did you use, some are much better than others.

Many of the better seed sites do germination tests on the seeds they sell, that's good.

Sandhill Preservation sells NO tomato seed older than two years old, which is outstanding.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I agree with most:

Tomatoes germinate in lower temps than peppers. Room temp (70f) will do. It will take a few days longer if it was in slightly higher temps (75 -80) . Pre soaking can help some. It will take probably a couple of days for the cover of the seed to soften in moist soil. There goes and extra delay.

I do not think variety is a factor in germination but QUALITY (age, viability) are.

SIDE NOT: Bruce,
    Interestingly, I started mine 3 weeks ago. Now they are 4 to 5" tall. Another 3 weeks, they should be the right size to go out. So I think 6 to 8 weeks is pretty good pick. Yours should be ready by Mothers' Day.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Room temp (70f) will do. It will take a few days longer if it was in slightly higher temps (75 -80) .

Just the opposite. A few days shorter. It takes LESS days to germinate at higher temps.

Dave

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have the dome on but it has a 1/2" crack around the perimeter. Besides, my heat mat is thermostatically controlled so it shouldn't cook the seeds. I have it set for 75 degrees F.
    The mix I used is same as my peppers which is a mix of peat, perlite and pine bark fines.
    Bruce

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I have the dome on but it has a 1/2" crack around the perimeter. Besides, my heat mat is thermostatically controlled so it shouldn't cook the seeds. I have it set for 75 degrees F.

&&&&&&

I understand. it's not so much that the underlying temp would cook the plants, it's that without adequate venting the humidity builds up and heat and high humidity together can kill seeds.

I'd rather see you prop up one end of the dome than to rely on a half inch crack, which IMO will not allow for good ait flow.

Just my opinion posting online since 1982 at message sites and seeing folks getting in trouble with those domes.

I started out using 8 inch permanest trays, puttig a baggie over that and propping up one end. Then went to commercial 20 row seed starter inserts and did the same.

They were placed atop the lights on my light stand, and all was well.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, point taken. I will open it up a bit.
    Bruce

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

OK, I have my mat at 80 degrees with a loose piece of plastic wrap laid over them. Should I drop my mat to 75 or 78, since I am at the higher end of the spectrum? Thanks for the helpful post, Bruce.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Plastic wrap is worse than a dome IMO. It can come into direct contact with the sprouting seedlings and lead to damp-off.

Is your heat mat thermostatically controlled or not? If not yes, 80 can cook them. I find 75 to be ideal but then I don't use domes or other covers and do have auto thermo controls.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Just the opposite. A few days shorter. It takes LESS days to germinate at higher temps.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Correct. I meant to say the opposite.

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

Dave, it is thermostatically controlled. Sorry, I wrote plastic wrap but it is actually wax paper. I plant in little plastic dixi type cups, and don't fill them fully with soil so they don't come in contact unless I am really bad at checking up on them. The first one just sprouted, and I removed it from the mat already while it was still curled over. That was 3 days. I would hope to have more than one sprouted by 4 days if the temps are right and the soil remains moist. Will see what happens tomorrow. I turned it down to 75 and we will see if the next batch I plant this weekend sprout any faster at the lower temp.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, mine are two days, I better go check :)
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, nothing yet. :(

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

For what its worth mine were up in 8 days, no heat, no dome- just a room heater set to 68.
    I was really surprised they came up that fast. I didn't even have my lights set up yet. I just hope mine have time to get big enough to set out on time this year.
    Kim

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

Yay, bonanza day, as I had hoped. 19 have sprouted on day 4, and day is not over yet. More to plant today and tomorrow. Sooo excited to have winter over. Spring ALWAYS comes eventually, right? Otherwise my sewing rooom in going to look like a jungle in a few weeks. :)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I am always delighted at how quickly fresh tomato seeds sprout I'm my set up. I attribute that to temperature and not technique. They are in the warmest room in the house (day temps are around 75) and I put them under the lights right away, which raises soil temperatures. I don't use a heat mat or a dome for tomatoes. (I cooked them using both several years ago, as Carolyn warned.) I use an instant kitchen thermometer to test the soil and it registers about 78. 90% of my new seeds sprout between 4 and 6 days. A couple from 2011 and 2012 showed 50% germination at 7 days. I expect a few more will emerge in the second week. With this method, it's important to make sure the surface of the seedling mix stays moist. The lights can dry it out.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, my question has been answered. 4 days.
    I just looked and 6 of the 9 containers now have at least one sprout. Thanks for all the info.
    Bruce

• suvoth
    10 years ago

I am very new to gardening (much less germinating) and I am happy to report that in less than 4 days (about 3.5) I have one new seedling. So exciting!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, Update. I have sprouts in all 9 cells now. The last three popped since my update earlier this afternoon. So, 4 days for all 9 cells. Not every seed has sprouted however. I planted up to 6 seeds in each cell. But happy know already that I will have 9 viable seedlings out of 9.
    Thanks for everyone's input. Made my first attempt at growing tomatoes from seed a success.
    Bruce

• cateday
    10 years ago

I planted 3 varieties on 3/21 and more on 3/23. The first batch in biodegradable tray, the second in biodegradable cells. Both are in Pro-mix all purpose grow mix. Temp in house varies (wood heat) but is generally in mid to high 70's. Trays are in an el cheapo greenhouse from Lowes, with the door open for circulation. Soil kept moist and checked several times daily. No sprouts as of yet after 7 days....am I just impatient, or do I need to try something else?

• suvoth
    10 years ago

I am soo not the person to answer this because I am extremely new (this is my first time growing anything or gardening anything) but at the 7 day mark, I have most of my tomatoes and 3 of my peppers coming up. Maybe if you are very gentle you could gently move a bit of the top and see if you have anything green under there? Again, I think you should wait for someone more experienced lol

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

I had 19 come up in the first 4 days and 10 left that have not sprouted after more than 7 days. All in the same cups and planting media, all planted in the same way on the same day. No idea why. I am going to plant more varieties so I will probably replant, but I never know why when the happens. I have been advised to move the soil around a bit also, and I try sometimes, but usually I can't find the seed. I wonder if sometimes they accidentally get pushing too far down into the media.

• cateday
    10 years ago

I found a couple of seeds....they haven't changed at all. Guess I'll just keep waiting!

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

Ok, so this year I've got germination after 5 days which is really exciting. Last year I started seed for the first time in years and sowed the seeds too deeply. It took almost 10 - 14 days before anything sprouted. So lesson learned. I do have dome but they have adjustable vents and I am now going to make sure all of the vents are open. I've never used a heat mat, just keep them in a warm room with good light. Ok, Dave, or Carolyn, what about fertilizing? What's the recommendation?
    Sharon

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Something that has worked well for me is baggy with paper towel. I presoak my seeds at slightly above room temp, then we go into moist paper towel, then into plastic bag and into container. Container stands on radiant heated bathroom floor. I get germination anywhere from 24 hrs to 3-4 days for majority of tomato seeds. I have done it for quite some years this way. Moisture and heat is what gives them life. Once I see white tail popping out, seed goes into 1020 tray with promix under plastic on electrical blanket. Not saying it is the way, just something one can use to have stable results in short time. I have had about 2 struggling varieties out from about 80 I planted this year.

• cateday
    10 years ago

I still have seed left......I'll try soaking with another batch!
    Lindalana, 80 varieties or 80 plants? That's a lotta tomatoes!! :)
    I'm hoping for a good 45 or so myself, 3 varieties!

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

yep, 80 varieties. Got greedy.

This post was edited by lindalana on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 11:10

• lexusnexus
    10 years ago

Wow! A lot of information. I have a few questions related to this. What is the best medium/mix for germinating tomato seeds? I can't plant until next year because of a move coming up shortly. Next, bet your bippy I will be doing toms. Do lights need to be turned on before germination? I know that when sprouts appear they will need grow lights.

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

I use seed starting medium, purchased anywhere that carries potting soil in local stores. No lights until after they sprout.

• cateday
    10 years ago

Apparently patience is key? And not my strong suit! I have 8 tomatoes sprouting this morning!

• suvoth
    10 years ago

yay :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I planted my seeds exactly 14 days ago. They started popping on day 4 and by day 5 nearly every seed had popped. Now after two full weeks, they have at least one full set of true leaves. Since this is my first time growing tomatoes from seed, I am starting to think that maybe they are growing a bit too tall (getting leggy). I culled 2-3 seedlings out of each container a couple days ago leaving me with three per container. Eventually, I will go down to just one per container.
    I am used to growing peppers and these are definitely more leggy than my peppers usually get. So, is this normal or do I need to get them more light. I have been raising them in front of a West-NW facing window. They get direct sun about 5-6 hours a day with indirect light about 12. I don't have any room under my Pepper grow lights but I can maybe shine a desk light on them at night and give them some extra light that way. Do I need to give them the extra light or are they looking pretty normal for tomato seedlings? I would say they are about 3" tall right now.
    Bruce