SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oofasis

Am I expecting more from my GC than I should?

oofasis
16 years ago

We're not building, but we are adding on a couple of rooms. Walls are framed, windows and doors are in, roof is incomplete - just plywood covered with a sheet of heavy plastic "held down" by planks of 2x4s. Last night in sunny sunny San Diego, out of nowhere we had a HUGE thunderstorm and water was coming in from every new "seam" or wall, even a bit inside our current living area and the garage. In places, it was TONS of water, and we had pots and bowls all over the place.

The bad part is that we have a lot of furniture and boxed belongings in one of the new rooms and in the garage. And there's so much of it, just crammed together, that most of it is inaccessible or nearly so. We threw a tarp over a couple of pieces of furniture, but they did get wet on the bottom. We tried our best to sweep out the water, and by this morning the cement floors were damp-to-dry.

While the rain was happening at suppertime last evening, I called our GC who expressed his concern for what we were experiencing, as well as his surprise that the plastic on the roof wasn't keeping the rain, but he made no offer to come over. He did offer the use of his wet vac, which he has here. We did not hear from him at all today to follow up. That disappoints me greatly.

To make matters worse, the TV is telling us there's a weather alert for more "severe thunderstorms" this afternoon and into the evening.

My garage and new rooms stink of mildew and damp. Because I can't get to this stuff (besides, the temps are near 100!), I'm worried about my belongings. What would you do?

Comment (1)