SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adena_demonte

What should I expect from a GC?

Adena DeMonte
3 years ago

I recently purchased my first home and after interviewing many GC hired one to do my bathroom remodel. I am trying to understand what my role is as I am concerned if I am not involved then errors will be made which will result in costly change orders. However, I want to trust my GC to properly manage the project. But there are minor issues popping up that have me concerned, and I’m wondering if these are normal issues with GC or if i should be concerned...

1. The power to the lights in 1/2 of our home is out. I wrote to GC on Friday night as we are not living there currently and we always go to the house once a day to check on it. I have not heard back from GC yet. I was concerned mostly that there is fire risk. Also concerned about lack of communication if power was out on purpose. I spoke with the foreman today and he said he doesn’t think his team caused the power outage (he blamed my HVAC people) but HVAC crew was out Thurs afternoon and we visiting Thurs night and electric was fine, so the issue must have happened Friday. We know they cut into the back of the electric panel to make a direct line for the bathroom, but not sure what is going on with our lights.

2. While it took us a while to pick our vanity, I confirmed in What’s App, in a google sheet of our supplies, and in person that we purchased a 66” vanity. While at house the other day foreman had shown me he build the rough plumbing for a 72” vanity. I think this has been fixed, but I’m concerned about the miscommunication and want to know how to fix that.

3. I sent a drawing of where the lights should go from a lightning designer and it was not followed correctly. I want my GC to ask questions if what I ask for is not clear, vs doing the work wrong.

4. I am unsure who the people are doing the work. Maybe this is normal for GC. But I realized the people doing the work may not be licensed plumbers, electricians, etc. The GC is licensed so not sure if that matters (and we are supposedly permitting everything so hopefully it is all done correctly)

5. The payment schedule is very much in their favor. I didn’t realize this until after I signed the contract which is on me, but it makes me question this company compared to others who ask for payment as work is completed and permits approved in installments. I’ve paid more than half already and so far we have demo done and electric /plumbing started. This may be a normal payment schedule, I am just comparing with a few other contracts I received.

6. There are a number of holes in the walls. Maybe this is normal? But now in 2 bedrooms — one is the hole behind the electric panel, another seems to be an accidental hole put into the bedroom behind the bath wall. At this point I assume they will eventually fix this, but it seems like there should be some communication on what was damaged and will be repaired as to plan.

I am not at all saying this GC is doing a thing wrong. This is my first experience with a GC and I just want to get everyone’s thoughts on if I am being too involved or if I need to manage the GC more assertively. I am very nervous as this is an expensive project and I also don’t want to damage the house.

I am meeting with GC Mon so wondering what you think I should ask him?

Thanks all!

Comments (8)