SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
labpa

GC destroyed a piece of art...what should I do?

labpa
12 years ago

OK, this one is a heartbreak (for me anyway) and I need some advice.

Sometime after our kitchen reno started and around the time our GC realized they needed to refloat the wall separating our kitchen from our dining room because it bowed, our GC (who is very responsible) had his guys move a very large photo (3 ft x 5 ft) that was on the wall separating the kitchen from the DR. They moved it down to our finished basement where they left it (uncovered) leaning against a rarely used wall. That's where it sat until last night when we decided to bring it back upstairs and rehang it. When we got it upstairs, we immediately saw it has a bunch of gashes, including one that is quite large. It could not have gotten damaged being carried back up the stairs as I watched the whole affair and it didn't touch anything. None of us have otherwise touched it, and our dogs and the cat couldn't have gotten to it, which leaves only the GC's guys (who aren't nearly as careful and responsible as the GC) or one of the subs. By the way, they all used our basement as a staging and storing ground for various things for the last few months. And it could have been damaged before it was moved because for some reason, they didn't move it at the beginning.

Since the photo was mounted to stainless steel (sorry, but its hard to explain), the gashes look like they go through the photo completely down to the metal. Leaving aside the cost issue for a moment, the photo is a limited edition, signed piece acquired some years ago from a gallery who no longer represents the photographer. And it gets better -- the photographer lives in Europe and appears to be a bit of a recluse. So the chances of replacing the piece are not good. And the chances of repairing it are even worse.

So what should I do? Even if my GC wrote me a check for the cost I paid for it, that doesn't compensate me because I can't replace it. I have known our GC for more than 10 years and he is a really good guy but this just seems inexcusable to me, and I am so mad I can't even think rationally.

What is the right thing to ask for in this situation?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional