SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maureen_fortin

Is it worth it to re-plumb this old bath addition?

Maureen
2 years ago

We added a dormer for a future Master Bath above the in-law addition we built 9 yrs. ago. Unfortunately, the plumbing was addressed late in the game so we were advised to follow a floor plan similar to the bathroom below. It does NOT work. This is how it will look with minor adjustments:

The changes I wan to make include: cap off the existing toilet plumbing & put a new one in across the room via a closet below: swap the vanity & tub; widen & redirect the shower:

I'm in New England and & don't have a real plumbing estimate yet but the best gage so far was $800-$1000 per fixture for new construction so $4K max? If so, could we say ~$2,500 of that is the cost to move everything for a more streamlined floor plan? If the project totals $25-28K, is this reasonable in the grand scheme of things?

Points to consider: We thought it would be less than our kitchen remodel of $22K so we are upping the ante quite a bit (reality has sunk in but it's still painful): The space is down to studs & subfloor with some electrical + plumbing; the entrance can't be moved; the ceiling slopes so the shower is in the most ideal spot; the window is low with the sill only about 24" from the floor; we are hoping for a tiled, curb-less, glass encl. shower; would give up the tub but can't leave all that empty space, right?

I would be grateful for any opinions and advice you can offer - thank you!

Comments (4)