SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sign2me

What style large window/s do you suggest for kitchen? What brand?

Lianne
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're remodeling our kitchen and we want large windows overlooking the backyard. The back wall is 19ft long. We're looking to get 48" and 90" for the back wall of the kitchen. Other than knowing I don't want any grids, I don't really know what style to get.

What about a double hung, double window to the right of the range and a picture window centered between double hung windows?

What window company do you recommend? Is Simonton a good quality window? If so, what series do you recommend?

Comments (45)

• suezbell
    2 years ago

No specific brand recommendations but just a few thoughts:

Make sure your window choices are winter rated for your area so you don't need a window treatment selected for weatherizing -- blocking heat or cold. Keeps more of your options open.

If your windows will overlook either a porch or deck or patio where you enjoy indoor/outdoor living/entertaining, consider how high they'll be off the floor/ground on the outside and whether sliding glass windows -- for serving and/or quicker clearing -- might be useful.

There are kitchen bay windows worth considering.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

What region of the country? You mention Simonton, is there a preference for vinyl? Simonton is a decent product albeit a bit on the bulky side from what I recall.

• Related Discussions

If you like your kitchen windows, what is brand and model?

Q

Comments (10)
    I bought about a zillion windows for our recent renovation/addition (including kitchen) and I chose Marvin Integrity based on recommendations in the Windows forum here and other places. They are fiberglass exterior and wood (painted) interior. We've only had them a few months, but so far, I've liked them. The builder had never seen them before, but they seemed to like them. The other option I looked at was Jeld Wen aluminum-clad (with painted wood interior), and although my builder was familiar with those ones (his go-to window), I thought the Marvin Integrity were better, and the fiberglass has a lot going for it. There are many "levels" of each manufacturer, so be sure to look at specific lines/levels to know what you get with each manufacturer for a given price. I think my windows averaged about $500 each, more for the largest and most complex. You can get any size/style you like. They have zillions of standard sizes. I went with mostly double hung but a few casement and awnings as well. I'd go with casement or DH above your sinks -- consider screen (inside vs outside the glass) and ease of opening (reach up to middle of window for DH . . . or just to the bottom sill for casement) . . . as well as looks.
    ...See More

Not sure what to do with large window in shower remodel? Help!

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks for your advice kudzu. Designer keeps assuring me that it’s not a big issue. I have talked to one contractor who says he can waterproof. But I have had small windows in multiple showers before and even with waterproofing I believe they all develop problems over time and I am even more concerned with this shower bc it is quite large.
    ...See More

Help - what would you do with these small kitchen windows?

Q

Comments (5)
    Take it down and live with the bare window for awhile to see what you think. You will get a lot more light coming in without a window treatment and I don't think you need one at all since it's not a large space. If you really feel you need something after trying it bare, you could add a simple roman shade mounted on the wall above the window.
    ...See More

What to do with a 90’s style kitchen desk?

Q

Comments (6)
    we are reluctant to demolish it due to the cost/complexity of matching new cabinets and granite to the adjacent higher counters. One option is to remove completely and replace with a vintage cupboard/ pantry cabinet. Choices will be limited to what happens with the flooring. The finished floor may have been laid around the existing desk components and, once removed, patches of subfloor may be exposed. Unless you also plan to replace flooring as part of the spruce up. As already suggested, photos will help immensely in eliciting ideas.
    ...See More
  • Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are in the mid-Atlantic region. I'm only familiar with vinyl. The rest of the house is single hung vinyl. We plan to replace those windows in the future.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

OK, so new construction vinyl is not an issues. mid-Atlantic where (general closer location would help)? I would look for a Okna, Polaris, or Softlite dealer were it me to stay with vinyl. If fiberglass would be ok you may want to look at Marvin Elevate (f/g ext - wood int) or Essentials (all f/g).

• User
    2 years ago

I see you swapped the layout. the new symmetry is nice! I actually like the style of grids in the mockup, it's very MCM. as long as they weren't super fake looking grids, that would look great.

I don't know many different window styles, but I'd make sure the picture window can be opened (esp for smoke or smells).

what is outside? is there a deck on the other side? I always loved the idea of a pass-through. or even if you didn't need a pass thru, I just really like these styles!

• elizabeth_eclectic
    2 years ago

Kolbe makes amazing casement style windows with pull down hidden screens! That way in winter your view would be pristine.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

What does your house exterior look like? More modern or more traditional? The windows have to fit the architecture of the house. Regardless, you could do windows with a larger fixed pane in the middle with two operable windows on either side. If your home is more modern, you can do casement or sliding windows. If it's more traditional, the operable windows can be double-hung.

As for brands, much will depend on your budget. Go for the best quality you can afford; the better the windows, the more energy you save both summer and winter.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

Just make sure that the windows are as low to the countertop as possible. It really makes a difference. We specified commercial storefront windows.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@millworkman, we're in Southeastern VA. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a look.

@User, thanks. Grateful for all of the feedback I got on Houzz regarding the kitchen layout. What does MCM stand for? There is a brick patio on the other side of the kitchen. I considered a pass through/sliding window.

@elizabeth_eclectic, ah pull down screens would be great. Use them when you need them otherwise, enjoy the view.

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors, it's a cape cod.

@sushipup1, is that your kitchen? Wow! Love all of the windows!! I considered low windows but my mom reckons they'll be a pain to keep clean.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

Your mother is wrong. That's the house we sold 5 years ago, with a 14 year old Ikea kitchen.

MCM stands for Mid-Century Modern, which is not the same as just anything from the middle of the 20th century, but is a particular modern style. Think "Danish" or "Scandinavian" for examples.

• JP L
    2 years ago

I have almost your exact set-up (except we're moving the stove to have an uninterrupted view out on the back-wall) - we are going with Marvin windows - a combination of picture/fixed units and sliders. We incorporated sliders on one end so that we could "pass through" items to the back porch/deck if we're grilling/entertaining (and for egress if needed - although there's a door a few feet away).

The windows that @SeattleMCM shared are gorgeous, but based on my recent window quoting experience, insanely expensive (and the one accordian style unit we tried felt heavy/clunky to push back). I was originally firmly anti-slider, but the Marvin units are solid and look anything but cheap.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

If you do choose the sliding windows, have your outside "bar" / shelf just below ( rather than even with ) the windowsill/countertop and consider an awning to avoid rainwater issues.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@millworkman, I appreciate the suggestions. My only experience with windows has been with Reynolds and Simonton. I looked into the windows you suggested and Marvin is the only one I could find that has a local dealer. So I'm going to check the out. Thank you.

@JP L, a full wall of windows will be so nice! I would love to see your photos when it's finished. Looks like Marvin windows has a lot of options.

• jck910
    2 years ago

No brand recommendation but double hung are difficult to open leaning over the counter so slider or casement would be best

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The renovation project on the home we purchased a couple of months ago is extensive. I'm trying to make things easier on myself. I would like to look at a selection of windows and make a decision. I found a wholesale distributor that carries several brands. Are you familiar with the quality of any of these? What would be your top 3?

• Andersen
    • Atrium
    • Norandex
    • MI
    • PGT
    • Simonton
    • ThermaTru
    • Vinyl Max
    • Vinyl Kraft
    • Wincore

I'm also looking into Marvin but they look high end and I'm concerned they may be out of budget.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

ThermaTru does not make windows, they are a door manufacturer (steel & fiberglass) exterior.

Of the window brands that you have listed Andersen would be about it (series dependent) with Simonton possibly. The others would never enter the discussion from my end.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@millworkman My contractor recommended Pella. What are your thoughts on them?

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

I don’t have any suggestions as far as window brands go (although if you're going with vinyl double hung, I would not choose Pella…..when seeing them in person, they were truly ugly and cheap looking…the vinyl was globby and they had fuzzy and visible weather stripping along the sides….see my pic), but I will second sushipups suggestion about going all the way down to the counters with your windows. We did that in our build and it makes a huge difference in the feel of spaciousness. Even with windows that are typically raised off the counters only several inches, comparatively, they really close everything in. And truthfully, they don’t get dirty. One of our windows is directly in front of a prep area and next to the range and I don’t think I’ve cleaned even a tiny splatter more than 2 times in 3 years. If you want to give your kitchen an airy and open feel, windows down to the counter truly accomplish that.

My kitchen is a completely different style, but sushipup, your kitchen is gorgeous!

I chose windows that were non operational. Honestly, I never open my windows….I have 20 double hungs and 2 french doors right next to the kitchen should i ever need fresh air. If I had to do it over, i would forgo the transoms and go all the way up in height with single windows (the transoms actually lower the appearance of the ceiling) and maybe do away with grills (although they do help with bird fatalities).

Pella vinyl double hung. This photo was taken 3 years ago at a Pella dealership. Maybe they have inproved things in 3 years? You would think they would display their very best sample, but maybe this is the best they could do.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"@millworkman My contractor recommended Pella. What are your thoughts on them?"

Not to mince words, but honestly the design, quality control, fit & finish, performance and customer service are all poor.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nidnay, wow your kitchen is beautiful! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. When our contractor first mentioned Pella I saw them at Lowe's and was not impressed at all and dismissed them as an option but then wondered if they just looked poorly constructed because they've been on display and handled by people. I will definitely consider windows that go down to the counters. Did you replace windows 3 years ago? What brand did you go with?

Thanks for your feedback @millworkman

I found a local showroom that has Andersen, Softlite, Vinyl Kraft, Moss, United, Trident, Sunrise and SImonton. Going to try and get by there today. Would softlite be your first choice of these @millworkman? Is there a particular series you recommend?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Softlite Elements I do believe would be the model I would start with, other pro's may feel different and know better on the vinyl lines. Andersen I would start with the 400 series Woodwright.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@millworkman, great thanks!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Some Amish furnishings have a bit of a MCM vibe as well.

Windows you can reach easily -- lower windows -- would be easier to clean than higher windows if you're not using an extend wand squeegee because of pane dividers on the outside of the glass..

Windows that have the dividers to create the panes in between two layers of glass -- so you have a large smooth area of glass -- are the easiest to clean -- whether large or small and low or high. Without the pane dividers on the outside, you can more easily se a squeegee with extend wand .

Think car window squeegee for window cleaning.

You can probably get these kinds of squeegees for less at your local big box store.

https://www.sears.com/generic-ittaho-swivel-window-squeegee-cleaning-tool-long-handle/p-A100813729

• nycbluedevil_gw
    2 years ago

I replaced all the windows in my house with Loewen and have been very happy with them. I out in a large (six foot or so) casement window behind the sink. It’s easy to operate and my view is unobstructed.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nidnay, we definitely don't want to skimp. Millworkman has been great with steering us in the direction of better quality windows. Just not sure we want to spend money on super high end windows. There is so much we still want to do and buy (deck, pool, replace all of the windows, new siding, etc). Once we get kitchen windows, I know I'm going to want to push for replacing the rest of the house (they're super crummy. Some have algae growing in between them!)

@nycbluedevil_gw Those look like very nice windows. There aren't any dealers in our area. Did you consider a gliding window behind your sink?

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

One thing to point out is that many windows don’t allow for inside mount shades/blinds and there are more individuals than not who are shocked to find that their gorgeous and very expensive new windows do not allow for inside mount treatments thus necesssitating covering up their beautiful window trim. My daughter had to thicken her window trim in order to make the deeper jamb necessary to install motorized blinds (or any blinds for that matter) inside the frame. So it may not be important for your kitchen windows, but for bedroom windows (and if you prefer an inside mount blind), make sure you mention this to your contractor and window rep or else you’ll be in for a nasty surprise when it comes time to hang shades or blinds. This important issue is most often overlooked.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nidnay, that's good information. When we had an addition in our former house, I didn't know the windows would be different. So some windows in our house had blinds mounted on the inside and others were mounted on the outside. They were all covered with curtains so it was not something we every really noticed.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

I am not necessarily recommending super high end windows (unless you have the funds, then go for it). They are completely out of reach for the average homeowner. And even some of the better quality windows are cost prohibitive for many. But I think an Andersen 400 series is a good place to start which is a decent quality window (still not inexpensive though!). My point is, don’t do what I did and get cheap ugly windows only to regret it later…..do your best to get good quality.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nidnay, that makes total sense. I will definitely check out the Andersen 400 and Softlite Elements series. I appreciate you sharing your experience and your input. It's been very helpful.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@millworkman guy at the shop is trying to sell me on Sunrise. Know anything about them?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Good product. What series?

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sunrise premium, Omega 12

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@millworkman I see what you mean about simonton being bulky. The guy at the shop was definitely pushing Sunrise. Over Andersen even. They sell softlite but didn't have any in the showroom. The Sunrise looked nice but felt lightweight. A double hung, Omega 12 runs close to $700 (including install). My contractor is installing them. Is it better to have the window distributor install them?

• nycbluedevil_gw
    2 years ago

Lianne i did not consider a slider because i did not want a vertical obstruction of my view. Attached is a rendering of my kitchen which is still under renovation. The windows were replaced two years ago so that’s

not part of the current redo. You You can pretty much see what the window looks like.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@millworkman or anyone, know anything about windowuniverse.com? I heard about them from thewindowdog.com while looking up reviews on sunrise windows.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Take anything from the windowdog with a grain of salt, and stay away from Window Universe.

• wiscokid
    2 years ago

We have the A series by Andersen and love them. Andersen 400 Woodwrights are similar to their A series, iirc (note: there is a 400 series and the 400 Woodwright - they are slightly different). Not cheap, but not insane either. Windows are something to spend on, buy cheap stools/light fixtures/etc. to cut the budget if you need, you can easily upgrade those later, but windows not so much.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

@Lianne we went with the black/black Andersen 400 clad windows, zero regrets! This was the first summer with all of them installed, and we have had a hot one!! 100F+ on more days that I can count, and my AC doesn't kick in until the afternoon (yes, we have all new insulation, roof etc also, not just the windows). It's such a joy to be able to have the curtains open...hot or cold...I used to "feel the weather" with our old windows. 6 of them were retro fit, most were new construction (addition). I have nothing but either casement or picture windows. I insisted on drywall return so we would be able to do inside mount blinds...this doesn't drill through the side of the window jamb and doesn't void their warranty...and gives a very contemporary look...but you pay more for drywall...not really a cost savings, but for the other reasons mentioned.

• PRO
    Ezyjamb
    2 years ago

Depending on where you live, steel window reveals can be a great idea as they won't crack or warp when exposed to the sun over time.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Where is the best place to get windows from? A window store or a supply store? The window shop I checked out this weekend carries Andersen, Sunrise and Simonton (among others). The supply store carries Andersen and Simonton (among others).

Someone please educate me on the best way to go about getting the best price for a good window. The contractor doing all of the work on the house will be installing the windows.

We're looking for 2 new install double - double hung windows and a large picture window flanked with double hung windows. Down the road we will be replacing the rest of the windows in the house (15 total).

For the most part, I like the look of the Sunrise and have read they are a better window over Simonton. Andersen looks nice too but I wonder if their prices are inflated because of the name/popularity. We had Simonton 5500 series in our old house and I thought they were fine. Is there a Simonton series that is worth looking into? When it comes to Sunrise and Andersen, are they comparable - quality and price?

fwiw, we live near a jet noise - recommendations for windows that will help with sound dampening is appreciated.

• dmascola
    2 years ago

Lianne, what did you end up doing? Can you share a pic? We're remodeling kitchen and will have an 80" by 56" window. I'm doing a 25% , 50% 25% window. Picture window in the middle, but haven't decided if the sidelights will be casement or sliders yet. Would love to see yours as it is similar in size and tell me how you like what you chose. Thanks!

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dmascola, we went with a picture window in the center and double hung windows. We love it.

• dmascola
    2 years ago

That's beautiful! Love it. Thanks so much for taking the time to share it also.

• Lianne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wish the project was completed so we could enjoy it fully but we'll get there, eventually. Best wishes to you as you make your decisions. I will say we are having issues with outlet placements because the window is a bit close to the countertop. Hopefully you are able to avoid receptacle problems with yours!