SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Rules for Big Kids

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago

What kind of rules did you have for your 18-24yo kids? I mean those who are still in school or grad school and not yet financially independent, for the times when they are living at home.

We haven't had any real issues. None of my kids have wild social lives and they always ask when they borrow the car, tell us who they will be with and when they will be home. I also like for them to come see us when they do get home and say goodnight. They are always responsive when we text or call.

It's also odd because I feel the rules should be the same for all of them, but they have all had different experiences and have different levels of maturity. For all sorts of reasons, including two of them not living here for a long stretch, BF that were long distance, or COVID trapping us all, COVID delaying drivers licenses so constraining them further, etc, we have not had to lay down many rules. Just last week though one of them was going on a date with someone new and my DH and I met frantically and said "so what do we do? are we supposed to meet them? what time is curfew?"

So just curious, what did/do you do?

Comments (25)