SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_lynn137

Catalyzed Lacquer Cabinets - Help Please

Jennifer Lynn
2 years ago

Looking for some feedback. We’ve been having a lot of issues with our GC, so it’s hard to trust anything he says.

The most recent issue is the cabinet paint. He decided (without telling us / asking) to have them painted with catalyzed lacquer. Now we have three problems:

1. They are supposed to be BM Chantilly Lace. And they’re all white, but some look like CL and some are a shade creamier and it’s obvious to the naked eye. And when I say some, it’s that the doors don’t always match the boxes. He said that they have to mix it by hand so that the color won’t necessarily be consistent. This seems like an idiotic solution if it’s the only way - who would be Ok with cabinets in varying shades?!

2. Cabinet trim - he doesn’t plan anything, so the trim hasn’t been painted yet and he said it will be a few more weeks because there’s only one gallon of this paint type anywhere in the Midwest. True?

3. He said that only painters with some special license can do it, which is yet another reason for the delay.

Numbers 2 and 3 wouldn’t have been an issue if he had planned and had the trim painted at the same time as the cabinets, but I digress. I am curious to know if anything above is BS or true.

Lastly, I’ve read that there can be a problem with yellowing, which - since our cabinets are white (varying shades, of course) - that will be problematic.

Feedback is appreciated!

Comments (15)