SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megan_m_dwyer

Okay to have different trim / baseboards / door casings in basement?

Megan Dwyer
2 years ago

Hello! We live in a brick foursquare built in the early 2000s in Colorado. Our entire main floor and upstairs has somewhat ornate colonial door trim and 4.5 inch curvy baseboards, which I really don't like. It's not in our budget right now to replace every door trim, baseboard and door in the home, but we're currently having our basement finished and I'd really like to switch over to more craftsman style for the basement. The color (white) would be the same, the height of the baseboards (4.5") would be the same, but the style would be different. There will be no door to the basement, but I'm thinking about switching the baseboards at the bottom of the stairs as you walk into the basement. I can't hardly stomach the thought of paying the contractor to match our upstairs finishes in the basement.

The entire house is decorated in transitional style and some elements (kitchen cabinets, light fixtures, doorknobs, etc) throughout have been changed to be more transitional style than when we moved in (i.e. think black matte finishes, etc).

My question is: do you think it's okay for me to have a different style of white door / window trim and baseboards in the basement than the rest of the house?

Pictures included for reference! Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)