SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suevani

Okay to have cherry crown molding w/ painted window casings?

suevani
13 years ago

I have just had a floor to ceiling cherry fireplace mantel installed in my family room. It also has floor to ceiling cherry panel columns on either side. My window casings and baseboards in the family room are painted linen white, just as all the casings and baseboards are throughout the house. I had planned on using linen white painted crown molding in this family room, that would start where the fireplace columns end (the crown molding on the floor to ceiling fireplace mantel is cherry like the mantel itself; that is-- there would be no painted crown modling going across the top of the fireplace). My contractor suggested installing cherry crown molding around the whole family room to match the fireplace to see if I would like it, and that it could be painted linen white afterward if I wished. He has no problem with the idea of cherry molding throughout in the same room with painted window casings (and window grids)and floor baseboards. I always thought that molding and window casings should match. I am inclined to paint over the cherry molding (all except that crown molding which is part of the fireplace unit), making the fireplace more like a piece of furniture or focal point. However, it does seem like a shame to paint over beautiful cherry crown molding. A few friends have remarked that the cherry is beautiful and that they would be reluctant to paint it. I love the look of the cherry (and wish that I had been able to replace my windows with cherry ones), but I am not sold on mixing crown molding and window casings. Any advice?

Comments (16)