SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Katie Couric MOB dress

eld6161
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I love pink. i really like Katie’s dress and I think she looked stunning for her daughter’s wedding.

Do you think the pink was too bold? Maybe a more subtle pink?

Do you think off the shoulder style was the right choice?

Comments (88)

• User
    2 years ago

I love everything about this dress except I think it's too bubblegum pink. I like blush, mauve, super pale, and bold pinks. but not this color. IDK why, but I think this pink makes the fabric look cheap.

but do I think the color is too bold for a MOB? no! it's gorgeous. what I love about today is that there are very few rules anymore. besides not wearing white, of course.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

This is a fun thread of MOB dresses. For the dresses, but also because all of these brides look just like their moms! So cute.

IloveMod, I like all white bridal parties.

• Related Discussions

Who would you name a rose after?

Q

Comments (46)
    these are all so good! Michelle Kwan - I think it would be a graceful silvery-lavender hybrid tea with long stems and a sweet scent Margaritaville - a lime-green tinged white floribunda that has big blowsy blossoms and a citrus tea fragrance (for Jimmy Buffett) Mother Teresa - would be a warm white with golden yellow reverse that would seem to glow from a distance, with a classic rose scent. Nolan Ryan - a bright cardinal red climber that throws long canes, blooms up a storm, is extremely tough and loves sunshine (fragrance not important) Katie Couric - would be a petite hybrid tea with yellow and hot pink striped flowers, covered with abundant blooms all season, and a sweet fruity fragrance Jeri in Texas
    ...See More

Vana White ?

Q

Comments (16)
    dedtired, funny you mention her head, when I was in Beverly Hills and Hollywood a couple of months ago, we saw a huge amount of celebrities at an event, and, I believe, the word the I have heard lately the celebrities are called "Bobbleheads". These are the celebrities that are SO skinny their heads look huge! Not all of them, but, a good portion of them. Now, I can't get that "Bobblehead" image out of my head! This post was edited by olliesmom on Thu, May 9, 13 at 9:21
    ...See More

those awful zippers on tv stars

Q

Comments (12)
    It's not out of style is the reason why people are seeing them on television. But I suspect that this fad will not have a long life, at least not on the backs of dresses and skirts. It doesn't bother me at all, but I do think that it can detract from the attractiveness of the outfit. But then, I think that the fashion IS all about the zipper and not the garment. I saw Katy Couric in such a dress recently and thought it looked great.
    ...See More

MOB Colors

Q

Comments (67)
    Oh, Gardengal, I'm so glad you posted another picture. You and your daughter and mother all look gorgeous, and you all look alike, too. Tell whoever picked out the flowers that they are the loveliest I have ever seen! I adore all the color. You definitely look even better than the model in that dress. Here we come up on our children's first anniversaries! The top tier of their wedding cake was taking up half a shelf in the freezer all year -- then got ruined and had to be thrown out, along with everything else, after the long power outage in 110+ degree heat here a few weeks ago. Luckily, my daughter-in-law was fine with that. I was sort of relieved I didn't have to figure out a way to get it to them!
    ...See More
  • User
    2 years ago

you're right, I totally forgot that white bridal parties was a thing too! my bridal party was all black.

I think the guests might want to steer clear of wearing white dresses though.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I agree the picture is of the Molners.

I woukd still like to see the MOG!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

yes, it says it is.... the "we heart the Molners," across the bottom...but i just assumed that was the bride's married name

gotta stay more on top of People

door prize for anyone who finds a MOG pic

• ladypat1
    2 years ago

It looks like a dress for a teenager. Color is fine for any age, but she is a little old for an off the shoulder dress. Yes, she does not show her age, but she is not 18.

eld6161 thanked ladypat1
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

“door prize for anyone who finds a MOG pic”

They are a mystery! (smart people 😊)

From TV guide.

”Ellie Couric’s life accomplice hails from the Mountain Lakes, New Jersey. In any case, we don’t really think about his family foundation. Mark couldn’t be found on Instagram too. Mark Dobrosky’s folks are Dennis and Loretta Dobrosky.

He likewise has two kin in his family. His sister is Christine, who additionally played Lacrosse at Princeton. Likewise, his brother Dave played the game at Harvard. The family lives in New Jersey. Because of deficient data on the web, we can’t find more about them.”

eld6161 thanked maddielee
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Mtn, if you look on Katie’s IG grid, they’re on the bus in this video. MOG has on lavender:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRCCRGxNwOh/?utm_medium=copy_link

(They’re also in another video, standing at the front/groom-side chairs.)

eld6161 thanked Jilly
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Do i get points for finding the registry LOL

Bridal Registry

eld6161 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

Thanks, Annie. They have excellent tastes!

Here's Katie's other daughter singing.

Songbird

eld6161 thanked Oakley
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

I think the bride looks like Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

• hcbm
    2 years ago

She looks great, as does her daughter. I prefer this look to all those MOB/G boring dresses that make the wearer look older and stiff. The dresses are almost always long, sequined, a shade of dull, with a jacket. Many women look like stuffed sausages in that type of dress. Yawn. Katie is vibrant, and yes, it appears that her daughter said to wear whatever you want. Good for her.

eld6161 thanked hcbm
  • lizbeth-gardener
    2 years ago

I think they all know how to have fun and don't get too hung up on "shoulds". That 80's party looks hilarous and such a fun way to kick off the wedding week-end. Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons look-a-likes are too funny!

eld6161 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • deegw
    2 years ago

I have no criticisms about the dress, I think she looks great. My only concern is that the combination of the color and the volume might be too bold for the wedding party photos. In the few photos we see, my eye goes right to it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

Sad, but I'm googling Wedgewood folia round vase. It's nice!

• woodrose
    2 years ago

IMO, a MOB's dress should be understated, tasteful, age appropriate, and not draw attention away from the bride. Katie's dress fails all of those criteria. The same rules apply for MOG's dress, and her dress is perfect . Katie's dress is pretty, but wrong color, wrong style, wrong for the occasion. Mom's who have daughters getting married need to remember it's their daughter's wedding and it's their day to shine. No one cares what the MOB's (or MOG's) wearing as long as she looks nice. Mom's have other other times when they can dress however they want, but let your daughter have her special day in the spotlight .

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I love the best woman's dress too!! Just love it. And I love the photo of the whole bridal party. It looks so natural. The other woman's dress is a tad incongruous, but it could be worse. That said, I am a devotee of eclectic home decorating, boho, "curated" or however you want to call a mix of elements. I don't like rigid static decorating or clothing. It's always a fine line about what element is going to put it over the top. For example, I like the sleeve style of the bride's sister/best woman's dress, and it has the same colors as Katie's dress, so to me, they all go together well. The grey and black dress has just a little bit too mod of a pattern to really play nice with the rest, but the colors are muted so it isn't that far off the mark as far as looking good to me. Yes, much nicer than those static looks that are in all the catalogs and magazine spreads.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I can imagine Katie and her daughter shopping together for MOB dresses and her daughter pulling that for her to try and then convincing her it is the PERFECT dresss for the wedding. No way would Katie (I don't imagine) spring a dress like that on her daughter without approval. They look so happy; I doubt there was any MOB dress tension between them.

I do think the one "oddish" thing about the fit is it looks like perhaps it was altered to raise the front for more bust coverage.

eld6161 thanked Olychick
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Katie did a shout out to the designer. This dress was soecifically made for her.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

The dress was designed for KC by Georgian Chapman (Harvey Weinstein‘s ex-wife). It’s good to see that she still has high profile clients.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Mom's have other other times when they can dress however they want, but let your daughter have her special day in the spotlight .

I disagree. The bride's "special day in the spotlight" is neither enhanced or overshadowed by something so inconsequential.

I think MOB/G can dress how they want, I just think this was a bad choice.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

For those interested, Georgina Chapman is currently seeing actor Adrian Brody. Cute couple. Unlike Harvey.

• rubyclaire
    2 years ago

Aww, I thought Katie looked beautiful and very happy. I didn't spend any time criiquing the dress itself (unlike me) but can see why some may think the dress choice was less than perfect. I think I got so caught up in her glowing happiness and excitement for her daughter on her Instagram page I failed to take in all the details. Even after looking with a more critical eye, I still think she looks beautiful in her dress. Final answer :)

eld6161 thanked rubyclaire
  • Indigo Rose
    2 years ago

I'm happy for Katie that she can look so nice and walk apparently so effortlessly....things so many people take for granted. (something I struggle with) She seems to have a wonderful relationship with her daughter...Katie hopefully is in a loving marriage, can hear and see well and experiences overall good health. If she and her daughter were pleased with their dresses who cares what color/shade of pink cut, style etc. the MOB wears. Also, Katie's daughter was able to have her mom share in her special day. I know of several young woman who's moms were all younger than Katie, can only visit at a cemetery...sorry for my wet blanket post.

eld6161 thanked Indigo Rose
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Indigo, your post is very true. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. And I think all of us would agree that the most important thing about the day was that it was a wonderful family event that the mom was there to enjoy with her healthy, happy family.

By the same token, when we post about our homes, i think we would all agree that, just because we are looking for a throw pillow, that we aren't also fortunate and grateful to have a roof over our heads, and to live in peace.

Just because we talk about silly things, does not mean for a second that they are anyone's priorities. Look at the original post. The question wasn't about the family or the happy occasion ... the question was just idle chat about a dress.

eld6161 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Indigo Rose
    2 years ago

I know, MTN, that's why it was hard for me to post. And it wasn't just about what was said here; people in general can be so catty/critical of others....as far as our homes, I think creating a nurturing or whatever one is seeking for their environment in their own space is important. and this is a safe space for people to get opinions and feedback etc. (We all know what happened on the other side when *some* overly opinionated people took over.!) I seem to be rambling, and fear I have derailed/ruined the thread. I hope not, Eld - -----carry on!

eld6161 thanked Indigo Rose
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mtn, thanks for articulating perfectly my purpose for posting this thread.

Indigo, these threads sometimes take on twists and turns, often veering off to the most unlikely places.

I think you have valuable things to say, maybe start a thread with your concerns?

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    2 years ago

That's what I come here for - "conversations" - and I'm glad it's not a tightly edited forum.

eld6161 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

This takes me back to the post the other day about dressing a petite plus body. This a good example of both something that can devour a petite frame, but that balances it with a focal point.

I would have reduced the fullness of the skirt and done the embroidery in a monochromatic color pallette for a slightly better look overall.

That being said, I am a devotee of embellishment in moderation and like the direction this dress was going

eld6161 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I referred to this link in an earlier post above but forgot to put it in. As I said above, the dresses are interesting but the best part is seeing how much the DD's look like the Mom's!

https://www.marthastewart.com/7954413/mother-of-the-bride-dresses?slide=696a04e7-32c3-4568-bd7c-a97a347ea105#696a04e7-32c3-4568-bd7c-a97a347ea105

Indigo, Meh, I don't think you can really argue most of our decor queries (or fashion queries) are "important" either--at least not as important as a happy, healthy family. But that's ok.

As far at cattiness. I've an interesting take on that. People are uber catty and critical of celebrities because they dehumanize them to some extent. I don't think any of us would ever be nearly as critical of someone we knew, even "behind their back," and people are never catty to each other on here, either. Celebrities are held to the very highest standard and we talk about them freely because we don't think of them as real people.

eld6161 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 4kids4us
    2 years ago

Not the best photo but here is the MOG dress.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

I agree, Spanish, I think a little less volume would have been great. I was a little taken aback when I saw her dress, but she looked so cute and happy.

I think one of my DS will be getting engaged within the next year, and this thread is making me realize I’ll then have to find a MOG dress. So just now, for fun, I looked at Nordstrom and Bloomingdales for formal dresses. I didn’t see one dress that I could imagine wearing. ugh.

• User
    2 years ago

I dont care for the dress, IMO it would be better as a sweet sixteen type of gown. Also usually loathe the high / low hemline but thought that was probably the dress’ best feature. The color and just the general feel of it looked a little childish. Then again am not a big fan of Katie Couric so there’s that.

eld6161 thanked User
  • terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

There are only 2 correct replies when someone says ”I like your dress.”

1) Thanks, it has pockets!

2) Thanks, I wish it had pockets!

I nominate this for the Featured Answer!

eld6161 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

I agree with Kswl. I love the dress and it's really hard to explain wearing age appropriate clothes because everyone gets offended. But this dress is a good example, it's for a young lady going to the Club for a romantic summer dance. :)

Also, at that age...she's 64...I do think she she shouldn't be wearing a low cut strapless short dress. A strapless long dress would be nice, preferably with cap sleeves.

Plus, she needs to hold her head up instead of looking almost embarrassed in the dress.

eld6161 thanked Oakley
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

I'm not a fan of the lavender MOG dress at all. That and the hair is aging.

eld6161 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Catty? A question was asked--if we can't give our opinions WHY ASK!?? My issues with MOG/MOB dresses goes waaaay back to when my own siblings were getting married and since then my friends over the years and the MOB dresses they chose. I don't really get the floor length thing AT ALL except in THE MOST formal weddings, NO shoulders and nothing Close to the wedding dresses style!! Someone said you can't compete with the bride SHE will always be the star--I disagree I think PLENTY of Mother's/bridesmaids have chosen poorly and it causes plenty of tittering in the group and distracts GREATLY from the bride.

eld6161 thanked arcy_gw
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

Just a slight comment about the way she is holding her head. You do realize that might have gone on for maybe 3 seconds just when that particular photo was shot? I would not even notice it. But then most of the stuff that folks notice here I don't notice. My initial thought was, "Cool, pink." ;)

• User
    2 years ago

she has lovely shoulders and decollete, so I think she's pulling off the strapless look flawlessly. I think the age opinions are super outdated. although I do agree that the overall style does kind of make it look like a prom dress. but having problems with her showing the shoulders? whatever. she's beautiful.

eld6161 thanked User
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think it’s fun that she keeps sharing different parts of the wedding. You really can feel all of the emotions she experienced.

• IdaClaire
    2 years ago

Oh, God forbid we have "tittering" in our groups! 😆

There is no one right way to do a wedding. No one way of dressing that's right and no way of knowing the myriad dynamics of the people coming together for the occasion. Clearly, everyone brings their own experience to the discussion and, it would appear, some make pretty strong assertions about "how it should be done" by others.

I got married wearing a champagne colored sleeveless dress by a one-armed minister, then jumped on the back of a custom cycle and went to a dive bar to buy a round of shots, before heading off to a large venue to see Primus in concert. I have no clue what anyone else wore to our wedding, and can't imagine caring. It was a joyful day. That's all that remains.

eld6161 thanked IdaClaire
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

I think some commenters here haven’t seen what prom (or clubbing) dresses look like now a days.

We attend many weddings in any given year, except for 2020. I have never thought that a bride was ever being upstaged because someone in the wedding party wore an attractive dress.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Primus!! My favorite ”cowboy” video ever! I’m jealous. 😄

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I think both mothers looked great. My I do wonder if the groom was wearing socks. If he is they are flesh coloured. Second picture in the link

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9758451/Katie-Couric-announces-daughter-Ellie-tied-knot.html

eld6161 thanked blfenton
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    2 years ago

No show socks are what the kids wear these days with suits. I have a very fashion-forward 17YO boy - that's how I know.

eld6161 thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

As almost always, I agree with Ida. Katie and her family look so happy! I cannot imagine that the MOB, the MOG and the bride did not discuss their choices; so I'm assuming all were pleased with the choices. It looks like it was a joyous day. I don't think Katie looks her age. She has a good figure and she could carry off the dress. It might not be my choice, but hey, it's not my wedding, nor am I MOB!

I started to make this comment on another thread (the quote). These threads are fun, but when they get too critical, too catty, they are not fun anymore.

eld6161 thanked Tina Marie
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I forgot to mention this earlier, my funniest wedding outfit memory …

My SIL had a very beautiful, very formal wedding (early 90s). We were all dressed as such.

Very late to the reception, in walks a cousin and his wife. They were dressed in identical western outfits, including cowboy hats.

Think Garth Brooks:

My SIL didn’t care a bit, she was happy to see them…. although I do remember a few older relatives tut-tutting. :D

eld6161 thanked Jilly
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I would hardly think that the happy folks at that wedding give a hoot about what others think, so titter away although some folks who did wear strapless at 61 might feel a little sad hearing it was gauche . . . I would laugh off such thoughts. I've been counterculture my whole life. My wedding dress was nice but ended up being a tad unflattering. I let it go. I had a blast that day. The worst faux paus at our wedding was we ran out of wine. We had no idea our friends were such winos! We ended up with almost a case of beer left . . . also the buffet servers packed up the leftovers pronto for taking them home themselves, leaving a few folks who wanted seconds unsatisfied . . . that was weirdly unexpected. Our volunteer sound person was kind of off the ball, he didn't utilize well the five hours of songs hubs downloaded. Also our volunteer wedding photographer was a no show. We got by with employing some last minute requests for friends to take some extra shots and share. I was disappointed in the table centerpieces, but finding something affordable was a challenge. We wanted mums but even though they were everywhere a couple of weeks prior, we had to settle for some rather sickly looking celosia. We went to a produce market right before the wedding to save money.

eld6161 thanked l pinkmountain
  • User
    2 years ago

l pinkmountain I had a nice-yet-unflattering dress too! it was strapless and I was adamant against boning, so it kept slouching down. did I care? NOPE. I had it photoshopped out later though, lol.

my main regret is that I was being rather snobbish about having flip flops for later. normally I'm a super casual person, but I was dead set against it for the wedding. huge mistake. it was hot, my high heels were killing me, and the gold flats I brought felt too tight and sweaty. I ran around barefoot, but that was difficult since the bottoms of my feet were almost blistered from so many hours in the heels. it was agony. I would have killed for the white flip flops that so many brides change into.

eld6161 thanked User
  • IdaClaire
    2 years ago

I remain amused that someone upthread actually said people "titter", apparently as a warning against doing anything to invite such. Good grief. Mature women should not give two hoots about the smallness of any silly "titterers"; one thing we older women earn along with the gray hair and wrinkles is the inalienable right to do and wear and say and eat and buy (and on and on) whatever we like without giving an actual damn how anyone else views it.

And the thing is, most people do not care one whit. People are so concerned with their own selves that they actually care very little, if at all, how others choose to present themselves.

If you are surrounded by "titterers", I encourage you to find a better class of friends. Seriously.

eld6161 thanked IdaClaire