SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

What are you watching/streaming?

Funkyart
2 years ago

I didn't see a recent thread on what everyone is watching/streaming so thought I'd start one to share a few great movies we've streamed recently.. please share your winners too!

Summer of Soul (... Or, When the Revolution Couldnt be Televised) on Hulu: a documentary on the Harlem Cultural Festival-- a series of concerts held in 1969 a year after the riots following MLK's assassination. It's an amazing window into the history, politics and human spirit at such a tumultuous time in NYC and Black History. Plus.. it has great performances by a very young Stevie Wonder, 5th Dimension, Pop Staples and the Staple Sisters. Sly and the Family Stone, Nina Simone, Gladys Knight, BB King, Mahalia Jackson.. and so many more. Really an amazing experience. I watched this last night so I want to go on and on about it-- but let me just end by urging you to watch! Highly recommend! View the Trailer

The Personal History of David Copperfield on HBOMax: Retelling of Dicken's tale (I have not read it) is billed as a comedy-drama but I put it fully in the drama category. Great performances by Hugh Laurie, Tiilda Swinton and most especially Dev Patel as David Copperfield. Very well done.. quite moving. View Trailer

Tim's Vermeer on Amazon Prime - "Tim Jenison, a Texas based inventor, attempts to solve one of the greatest mysteries in all art: How did 17th century Dutch Master Johannes Vermeer ("Girl with a Pearl Earring") manage to paint so photo-realistically -- 150 years before the invention of photography?" .. we found it fascinating. Directed by Teller and Produced by Penn. View the Trailer

Comments (35)

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I liked both "Emily in Paris" and "Call My Agent" although that one has subtitles so if you don't like that, you may not be able to watch it. I speak a bit of French and don't mind subtitles if the show is good. I was FINALLY able to stream "Miss Potter" on Netflix for free. I was really looking forward to that one as I am a huge Beatrix Potter fan and love the Lake District and Ewan McGregor. I have to say that one was a big disappointment. OK as a fluff piece I guess.

I'm going to have to watch that "Summer of Soul" piece and the one about David Copperfield. Right up my alley. Have to watch alone though. Hubs sticks strictly to his own male American white genres. If a show is too "girly" or British or ethnic, he just can't relate. He has had limited exposure to other cultures and isn't that comfortable going out of his element. I thrive on that. Hubs is very shy socially too, if he can't "relate" to someone, he just backs into a corner. It's not a skin color thing, because if it is a show featuring lily white British people or French people or god forbid a musical, he's not going to like that either . . . on the flip side, he probably can't figure out why I don't like the violent dark things he enjoys, or hours of sports commentary . . .

Funkyart thanked l pinkmountain
  • gsciencechick
    2 years ago

Ooh, that Vermeer one sounds super interesting!

We just watched the newest and rest of The Conjuring ”universe” as it’s called. ”The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It” on HBO max. DH wanted to see it in a theater, but I was not comfortable with that, so good for us it was on HBOMax. We’ve seen a few of the other movies, but we watched the other related movies. They are mostly pretty good as part of a supernatural/horror series. There is also very good set design for the period of the movies. If you are fans of Patrick Wilson or Vera and Tessa Farmiga, you would probably enjoy them.

Here is a link of the movies in the series and which ones to watch. I am not a huge fan of this genre like DH, but I thought they were all pretty good. We watched The Curse of La Llorona last night, and that one was a pretty weak link. It also does not include Patrick Wilson or Vera Farmiga. They are all on HBOMax and there are also supplemental/behind the scenes content on HBOmax.

We also watched ”Mare of Easttown” on HBOmax, and although it was good, I don’t think it lived up to the hype. A lot of the plot was totally guessable, but you might enjoy it for Kate Winslet, who is excellent.

Funkyart thanked gsciencechick
  • Related Discussions

What are you streaming?

Q

Comments (56)
    Thanks to this thread, I started watching Broadchurch. The second season is just coming to an end in the UK; The newest episode is available every monday night at Couchtuner.eu, which is the free streaming site I have been using. I have also watched two seasons of "The Village", another UK period drama. In some respects it is better than Downton. "Luther" is very, very good, but very dark. I have been enjoying the Doctor Who spinoff series Torchwood, and one US produced sci-fi thing The Last Ship. I really enjoyed "Welcome to Sweden" and I hope they make a second batch of it. Casey
    ...See More

What are you watching in April and beyond?

Q

Comments (53)
    The final season of Bloodline will be released on Netflix on May 26th. Peaky Blinders is in production, I don't expect it until the end of the year. I caught up on Mr. Robot on my flight to Paris two weeks ago and watched a few eps of Brooklyn Nine Nine on the way home. I'm in the middle of Chewing Gum, Travelers, and the Dave Chappelle specials. Bosch is up next (probably this weekend), then Dear White People. I have a slew of foreign police procedurals in the queue, but really want another season of Happy Valley. Shots Fired and Gotham on the DVR. Call the Midwife is a must see for me each week, as is Home Fires. Sadly, only two seasons of Home Fires, the one currently airing on PBS is the last. The Bletchley Circle is also very good.
    ...See More

Did You Watch Watergate? Watching Now?

Q

Comments (65)
    Someone on Hot Topics has posted a video of Sasha Baron Cohen accepting an award from the Anti-Defamation League. It's worth looking up. Cohen makes the point that lies and hatred are being spread far and wide by Facebook and Google -- unchecked -- as some sort of 'entertainment'. I agree with him that these for profit companies should be held to the same regulations as newspapers, broadcasters, magazines, movies, etc. NOT to disseminate fake news and foment hate. "Free Speech" has bounds. Journalism slid into this when it began presuming that *everything* has 'two sides'. No, not everything is 'debatable'. Facts do not have 'alternative meanings'. A pound IS 16 ounces, not some alternative number. Regarding this thread, President Trump DID withhold aid to Ukraine while demanding that Ukraine announce an investigation that he could use to smear his political rival. It is not "OK" to so abuse the office of the President, nor to use taxpayer money for personal profit.
    ...See More

Anyone watching Curiosity Stream documentaries?

Q

Comments (1)
    I took the 30 day free trial offer that was through Roku, but haven't watched anything yet. I also took Acorn, Smithsonian, and Great Courses and have been using those so far. I'll be interested to see if anyone has recommendations.
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pink.. Sorry your DH doesn't enjoy the same shows ... my SO doesn't like all that I do, but we have a pretty broad crossover. I was disappointed that he doesn't want to watch 84, Charlng Cross Rd with me but I am ok with that.. I'd hate for him to ruin it for me with his grumbling since I so loved the book.

GS, i also watched Mare of Easttown and quite enjoyed it-- i think part of what made it good to me was familiarity with the setting and also how Kate Winslet so transformed herself. I didn't figure it all out but i was on the right path..

Bpath, I never heard of that but it has an interesting parallel to a book (fiction) i recently downloaded-- I haven't read it yet but you may enjoy The Narrow Boat Summer by Anne Youngson. I loved the cover.. i thought it might be a relaxing summer read.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I watched a great documentary on Linda Ronstadt on the plane. Recently, we also watched the dramatization of the Betty Broderick story (well done, so sad) and the Darrell Hammond story (ditto).

I made the family watch a documentary about a Chinese artist, and they all begrudgingly admitted it was good. It's called Skyladder. I may have redeemed myself, since they all still tease me about the time I took them to an art cinema and made them watch a documentary about the lives of stray cats in Istanbul.

I find this site useful: https://decider.com/

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Funky, I LOVE 84, Charing Cross Road. And when I read the book, I loved that, too.

Thanks for the suggestion of the book, it does look charming. I’ll look for it.

Mtn, I think I’ve seen a documentary, or at least a short film, about the cats. We found it interesting!

DH and I have some divergent interests. I let him watch his ”Nazi MegaWeapons” while I go do a puzzle or something. Seriously, I think that was a program. But he is interested in history and military history, not Nazis. He will watch home shows with me, but not if there is too much faux drama. And old comedies generally are not his thing, but he’ll watch classic rom-coms with me. He even was the one who chose Notting Hill last month!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

oh my .. hahaha. I had just taken a big sip of coffee when I read that you made your children watch a documentary about the lives of stray cats in Istanbul! (though I have heard of it and heard it was quite good!)

• Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

I watched Tim's Vermeer some years ago and found it fascinating. I don't have any shows or movies to recommend, though. I'm afraid I might be aging out (is that a thing?) of mainstream shows. I do enjoy following a few YouTubers on their channels. My favorite is RAN Sailing which is a Swedish couple and their one-year-old daughter who live on a sailboat. Because of the pandemic, they've been sailing the Swedish archipelago and they share some of the history of the areas they visit which always motivates me to research and read about that history. I realize that I know almost nothing about Scandanavian history.

Funkyart thanked Fun2BHere
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

We loved Mare of Easttown, which led me to Hacks, which stars Jean Smart (Mare's mother). Now I kinda want to find Designing Women to watch again, ha ha. (Jean Smart was in that, back in the old days. Loved that show.) Anyway, I have been enjoying Hacks.

We watched Your Honor with Bryan Cranston. Really good.

We also really liked Lupin, and Pen15 (so funny). Last Tango in Halifax, loved it. So then we also watched Unforgotten, which stars Nicola Walker from Last Tango. Loved that too.

For movies: we have watched and enjoyed Another Round (though I found it a little depressing in the end, the rest of the family liked it more than I did); Dick Johnson, Elizabeth is Missing, and Crip Camp.

I have a long "to watch" list and some of the most promising (based on reviews) are The Father, Call My Agent, season 4 of Fargo, I'm Sorry (netflix series), I May Destroy You (HBO series), Driveways (Hulu movie), The Farewell (Amazon movie). Watching The Wire is also on my bucket list.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • jb1586
    2 years ago

We enjoyed Unforgotten very much. As an aside, Sue, Sarah Lancaster, from Last Tango, is now playing Julia Child in a movie being filmed in Boston. On Apple+, we have loved the show Trying, and the series For All Mankind, about the Space race with the Russians in the 1970s.

Funkyart thanked jb1586
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

You know, it does get very good reviews. My family just thinks I'm a little nuts. Like they've never seen Harry Potter or Star Wars but they have seen Kedi.

Perhaps cat fanciers might particularly enjoy it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/amzn1.dv.gti.56ae0f3e-a42a-4630-0337-10357e3f375a?autoplay=1&ref_=atv_cf_strg_wb

• robo (z6a)
    2 years ago

I probably posted this before but I discovered and am working my way through all 11 seasons of Taskmaster - which for me (Canadian) is free on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO4QTRSJAa4

Alex Horne is the mastermind of the show but Greg Davies is the Taskmaster (decides who gets how many points). Five comedians compete each series to win each episode and the series.

Funkyart thanked robo (z6a)
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

LOL Funky, I loved "84 Charing Cross Road." Gonna have to make hubs watch it again with me as a test of his love and devotion . . . seeing as how the plot is a tad on the esoteric side, he might like it. That's another one of his genres. He practically forces himself to watch these "out there" selections I think sometimes just because he wants to brag about how "atypical" he is. Atypical good, but atypical British bad. I can't keep up! ;) Seems like hubs would also like a show like "Taskmaster." He likes that show where magicians try to fool Penn and Teller. But I dunno, if "Taskmaster" is Canadian . . . Speaking of Canadian, I love "Corner Gas" and "Kim's Convenience." Not all the time, but in short doses.

Edited to add that actually, the show, "Atypical" was one that was loved by both me and hubs. It's not new though. About a family with an autistic son and some other interesting issues crop up along the way . . .

• User
    2 years ago

We have been watching, in no particular order, "Santa Clarita Diet", "Sweet Tooth", and "Katla". Have enjoyed each one so far.

Funkyart thanked User
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I've been sampling various indie and older films, haven't found any TV series I like very much lately. Ricky Gervais' 'After Life' is set to have a new season, and so is 'Never Have I Ever', so I'm anticipating those. Really looking forward to seeing Summer Of Soul too - some of my favorite artists and their music!

I did recently watch a very good 2018 movie called 'A Head Full of Honey' with Nick Nolte and Matt Dillon and it really made an impression on me.

Funkyart thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • lisaam
    2 years ago

In The Heights is on Prime and it was very entertaining.

Funkyart thanked lisaam
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Oh yes, I did watch AfterLife. Hated its "mean spiritedness" at first but grew to really like it.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

"Afterlife" was one of the few British series that hubs loved. That's his taste. Dark and cynical. I am not a fan of snark, have too much real-life experience with its downside. It does have its funny moments though. I almost like Ricky Gervais . . .

• User
    2 years ago

"Derek" starring Ricky Gervais was the funniest, sweetest series I've seen in a very long time.

Funkyart thanked User
  • chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

“Couples Therapy“ on Showtime and Amazon is absolutely the best series I’ve watched in a long long time, beautiful, fascinating and powerfully honest. I’m not currently in a “couples” relationship (I’m widowed) but I found it quite moving and valuable for understanding all human relationships. A must see IMO!
    I enjoyed “Mare of Easttown” but wouldn’t put it in the must watch category. I recommend Top Chef for anyone who enjoys cooking and food.
    I’m thinking of rewatching some of my past favorites, and recommend them if you’ve never seen them:”Six Feet Under”, “Mad Men”, and “The Jinx” and “The Sopranos”. Lol, doubt I’ll ever have time as long as the news keeps commanding my attention! Stop happening, history!

Funkyart thanked chinacatpeekin
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I agree, DH and I liked Couples Therapy too

• Gizmo
    2 years ago

Just finished an Australian drama series A Place To Call Home on Acorn.

It's about the lives/family dynamics of the wealthy Bligh family in the mid to late 50's

Lots of eyecandy from the sets and costumes

Funkyart thanked Gizmo
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I also "enjoyed" Afterlife.. didn't realize a new season was coming. Also glad to hear there is a new Julia Child movie coming.

I haven't watched a Place to Call Home but i have enjoyed a number of the australian shows on Acorn.

I always enjoy these threads. Will be checking out many of the suggestions above-- I like having a few series in the wings since it is generally easier to free up 45 min than 2 hr.

We keep a shared Youtube channel with trailers of movies/series that have been recommended. It makes it so much easier than scouring all the streaming services when we want to watch something.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I have mentioned Amazon's Clarkson's Farm and Apple's Physical already on other threads, forgive me for repeating myself.

I am looking forward to the new Ted Lasso (Apple) season later this month, yes, I am that simple of a person ;-)

What I wonder about is James Gandolfini's son in the upcoming Soprano's prequel. I am a huge David Chase fan, grew up watching Rockford Files ( where you can see the birthing og the NJ mob idea,) so I should trust him, ( but really, I don't, seems creepy.)

Funkyart thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • User
    2 years ago

Forgot to mention that I am also enjoying "Mount Pleasant" on Acorn. Sort of a lighthearted dramatic series set in present day Manchester.

Funkyart thanked User
  • nekotish
    2 years ago

We watched A Walk in the Woods the other night on Amazon Prime. Robert Redford and Nick Nolte as two (very different) old friends who decide to hike the Appalachian Trail. We both laughed out loud several times. It's not deep or dramatic but we both thoroughly enjoyed it as couple of hours of light escape. Emma Thompson is in it too, although her role is realtively minor.

Funkyart thanked nekotish
  • amykath
    2 years ago

I definitely enjoyed Mare of Easttown.

Truth be Told was also entertaining. It is on Apple TV. It is about a podcaster who essentially helped put a man in jail and many years later starts to wonder if she was right in her conclusion of guilt. It has great actors... Aaron Paul, Lizzy Caplan and Octavia Spencer.

I have mentioned this one before but it bares mentioning once more, Normal People on Hulu.

"It follows Marianne and Connell, from different backgrounds but the same small town in Ireland, as they weave in and out of each other's romantic lives."

I was so engrossed and it touched my heart and soul. I cried like a baby. it actually got 8.5 stars on IMDB.

Funkyart thanked amykath
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Zalco, we enjoyed Clarkson's Farm, too.

Funkyart thanked bpath
  • chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

I hadn’t heard about the Vermeer film- sounds fascinating and I will watch that for sure! “Summer of Soul” is on my short list already; David Copperfield, too.
    A few more series come to mind that I recommend: two medical documentary series that I thought were excellent, “Lenox Hill” and “The Surgeon’s Cut” are on Netflix. For those that like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like, and I definitely DO!
    Another Netflix documentary series I recently enjoyed “This is a Robbery”, about the 1990 art heist at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.
    I also enjoyed the Linda Ronstadt documentary mentioned above.
    And, not new, but certainly not-to-be-missed, “Hamilton“ on Disney.

Funkyart thanked chinacatpeekin
  • gsciencechick
    2 years ago

I also watched the Billie Eilish documentary on Apple TV+. I didn’t really know too much about her, and other rock fans thought it was interesting.

Funkyart thanked gsciencechick
  • just_terrilynn
    2 years ago

“Damages” it’s an older series , 2007 - 2012 with Glenn Close. We just finished series #1, it was excellent.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I have been watching ’Yellowstone’ and made it through the first two seasons so far. It is rather intense, so i watch just a couple of episodes at a time.

Pinkmountain, a friend recommended ’Corner Gas’ a couple of years ago. We watched several episodes and enjoyed it. Funny stuff.

• lisaam
    2 years ago

Until i heard a review on NPR i wasnt familiar with ”Hacks” on either prime or netflix (cant recall). one season so far about 2 comidiennes, one a Joan Rivers type, second much younger. it starts slowly but the acting is solid.

• amykath
    2 years ago

Terri, I LOVED Damages!! It has such great actors and it is definitely worth watching.

• bpath
    last year

Are you a team?