SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hikeril

Purchased lot with driveway but doesn't meet setback codes

hikeril
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I purchased a lot with an established driveway. When builder applied for permit it was stated the driveway needs to be 15' of property line. The lot is approximately 2 acres on a lake. The driveway at the entrance is precisely located on the property line however it immediately moves away from the property line as it makes it's way towards the lake. The driveway did curve back towards the neighbors property actually crossing onto the property but has been relocated. It is shown on a survey map from 1996 as an unimproved road. I had another survey completed in 2020 prior to purchasing the land. It was noted by the inspector a permit was not applied for when the driveway was installed prior to 1996. A camper was located on the property and electrical line and pole where also located on the property however the camper was removed 10+ years ago. Driveway is noted on several official documents used when purchasing the property. Construction has started and the inspector is allowing the use of the driveway for now.

I have several options, move the driveway requiring the removal of about a dozen trees, share the driveway with the neighbor by completing a shared driveway agreement that will be recorded and attached to the deed or ask the neighbor if he would be willing to sell a small portion of his property. The reason for the concern, the driveway if moved will be within a curve on a county highway. Right turn from the property is simple, left turn requires extreme caution. I have about 4 weeks to have a plan for the driveway.

Comments (18)