SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Major setback. Would appreciate advice. :(

rockybird
13 years ago

So the floors are done for my mcm home. They are a new concrete overlay for the entire 3800 sq. feet. The architect designed the scoring pattern every 4 feet. Right away, I noticed the score lines waver, or jiggle near walls. The architect looked at it today and said it's not acceptable. He laid a straight edge next to it to show me how off they are. But it gets worse. The threshold for the new 6' pivot door and 2 ft. side light are thinner than the old doors. The doors were done after he laid the concrete floors, which were covered with paper during the drywall. They were finished after wards. The concrete guy says he cant match the concrete in the threshold exactly, but we might be able to add a big threshold over part of it, which would still look funny.

THEN, the architect asks me about the underground air return in the middle of the kitchen. WHAT'S THAT??? He says. "That cannot be in the middle of a major walkway!" I had a ctr. make custom stainless steel covers for them. I had told him about them, but maybe he didnt understand which ducts I was referring to. He came into the project early on after I had started demo, maybe he missed that duct? I have also kept them covered so no one would fall into them. There is another duct in the living room area in a walkway also. He said he planned to cover it with a built in cabinet or floating shelf or mantle, but I think it will be tripped over and disrupt the flow of the house. As it is now, I can look from the kitchen through the dining room and living room and see views of the city. We can fill the return in, and open the duct up in an adjacent bar area. We can also move the kitchen return a foot or so to under my floating cabinets.

But the floor is DONE! Today, the architect was trying to figure out how to cover the kitchen return with cabinets, changing the whole layout. I am thinking I wanted my floating cabinets and I dont want a closet obstructing the open floor plan. I called the floor guy and asked how much to re-float the floor of the the whole house...He tells me 4-5k with scoring is his cost, which he would charge me for the whole house. He said alternatively, he can rent a large machine to widen the score lines to try to hide some of the errors. I am not confident this will hide everything.

I want to refloat the floors, move the ducts and re-score correctly. Am I crazy to do this? This house is in a multi-million dollar neighborhood. I dont want squiggly lines. I dont want the open floor plan disrupted to add things to cover returns. And I dont want my expensive pivot door to look funny.

What a nightmare. You can see the ducts below.

{{gwi:1628111}}

living room walkway duct:

score lines:

{{gwi:1628114}}

Comments (45)