SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

How big should an own-root rose be before plant it out in the garden?

bart bart
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Obviously, this is going to depend on the variety-even in my tough conditions ramblers can go out when they are still very small. But what about floribundas?

I lost a newly-planted,grafted Ebb Tide this spring; I tried urea and it burnt the roots of ET and Purple Lodge (bummer). I have another ET in a pot; it started life as a grafted, but was doing poorly out in the garden, so several years ago I moved it into a pot, and I dare say by now it's gone own-root. By now it's in a 22cm (about 8.5/9 inch) pot,which a site on Internet says is equivalent to about a 2-gallon pot. It might be ready to get moved up to the next size-water runs through it pretty quickly-, but I don't want to check yet, since it's putting out 2 new basals and I don't want to risk injuring them. At first I was decided on waiting yet another year before putting it out, but that was before the basals appeared. I know that ET can be a rather difficult rose,yet I must say that my current ET looks in better shape than my Black Country Pride,which I formerly was thinking to plant out. In any case I will be waiting until fall before I plant anything out...So I decided to ask my fellow forum peeps- what do you think?

Comments (12)