SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sign2me

Enclosed breezeway btw inlaw suite & house. How big would you make it?

Lianne
2 years ago

Recently purchased a brick cape cod [on a crawl] on 3 acres. My mother in law is building a 1200sqft ranch [slab] attached to ours. City requires the residences to be connected through a conditioned/heated space (garage, bedroom and bathroom connections are not acceptable). I would like to connect through an enclosed (conditioned/heated) breezeway so that we can easily access the backyard without having to walk around either house but directly through the breezeway. The breezeway will connect at the back end of our garages through the main house's laundry room and my mother in law's mudroom. We're trying to determine how wide and deep to make the breezeway. We have 6 72" sliding glass doors from a sun room that we can utilize.

We can create a basic hallway breezeway, roughly 4X8. We meet the city's requirements of a conditioned space attaching the home and my requirement of easy access to the backyard. However, it will be a rather narrow space between our garages. Should we consider going wider & deeper and creating an enclosed porch and a courtyard space between the garages? My husband would like to keep costs down as we are doing some extensive renovations in our house. I would like it to be functional and look nice.

Most of the breezeways I'm seeing online connect closer to the front of the house so I'm having a hard time visualizing what it will look like. What would you do in this situation? I've attached photos what I imagine it will look like if we go with a small breezeway.

Enclosed Breezeway · More Info

Because we're on a crawl and she's on a slab, we'll have steps and I guess it may look similar to this.

Pickering · More Info

I think ours would look like if we went with a small breezeway. I don't think I will like the 'alley' it creates between our garages.

This is our house from the front.

The yellow rectangle marks the area the breezeway connection.

side of the house. The breezeway will connect where that window is.

Comments (95)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH