SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

In defense of ditch lilies

diggerdee zone 6 CT
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've long been an admirer of plain old orange daylilies. I see them get bashed a lot and I freely admit that they have world-domination tendencies, but at this time of year I am constantly made happy by the little vignettes I drive by daily.

My favorite is down the street from me. Dayliles stretch down one street, round the corner, and continue down a small "country" road. This property was farmland and the 90+-year-old farmer recently died, and I hope that whatever they do with this property that the dayliles are spared.

My camera doesn't do this area justice. This is last year's rather poor photo, (of just one stretch of them; they also continue way off to the left) but the sun comes up behind these lilies, and when I go to the gym early they are backlit, all shades of orange and bright green and gold. It's spectacular

A wider shot to give some perspective

A bit closer

I really love to see these on old farmland, under huge old trees, by old houses - in a more rural, natural setting. But oddly, while I now live in a somewhat rural suburban area, I first acquired my love of daylilies while growing up in the city. I lived in an area of rowhouses with postage-stamp yards, but we had back alleys (some of which weren't even paved) and wildflowers (or weeds, depending on your point of view) abounded. I grew up admiring daylilies, spiderwort, Queen Anne's Lace, something we called Butter and Eggs, and the honeysuckle that was everywhere, which we used to pull off the blooms and suck the nectar (luckily us ignorant city kids didn't poison ourselves lol). There was also a huge lilac shrub along one of the alleys.

Is there anyone else out there who actually likes orange daylilies?

:)

Dee

Comments (16)