SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lplantagenet

Best European Roses that Repeat

lplantagenet7AVA
2 years ago

Blackspot is a problem here in central Virginia, so I want to avoid any varieties that are particularly susceptible. By European I mean both pure European with no China ancestry and hybrids that show predominantly European characteristics. For example, I would put Rose de Resht and Marchesa Boccella, which are sometimes classified as Hybrid Perpetuals, in the European group but most of the HPs I've seen (not many) look more China than European except perhaps in bloom form and fragrance.

Here is my present list:

Autumn Damask

Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseux (little to no repeat--trying to get it to do better--I know it's a sport of AD, but the two roses are quite different in several respects)

Pickering Four Seasons--has struggled for the past couple of years but appears to be improving-reminded me today of how beautiful it is with a fresh, new flower

Portland Rose--died this year after dwindling for several years--it looks as if voles were the problem, so am planning to replace it

Marchesa Boccella--very reliable-- gets a 9.0 rating from the Richmond Rose Society

Rose de Resht--reliable with an 8.8 rating from the Richmond Rose Society

I also have La Reine and Eugene Furst. Did have Reine des Violettes and Paul Neyron at one time but both died. All produced lovely, fragrant flowers but did not do well and all show mostly China traits. The Richmond Rose Society rates Paul Neyron and Reine des Violettes 8.2.

If you grow European type roses that repeat as well as Chinas, Teas, and Noisettes, have you found that one group does better than the other? With some notable exceptions, I continue to have trouble getting the China group to perform well. I can't understand why. They should do quite well in 7A, but they do suffer much more from blackspot and my garden is no-spray.

In the China group--only the Hickory Hill Noisette is blooming now. It is an old variety which has lost its name and is not in commerce. A very reliable rose with pale yellow flowers, rapid repeat, and a good seed bearer.

Lindsey

Comments (11)