SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_ho9324885

bathroom design reno (Urgent! Deadline to finalize tile choices today)

Cathy HN
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Everyone! Just looking to run some of my bathroom reno ideas before I can’t change things anymore. Once we pick up our tile order we can't get a full refund or alter the order...so just wanted to hear other's opinions. If I make any changes I'd have to do it later today since I’ve been told prices are going up for all tiles as of July 1st in my local tile shops.

Any immediate input is very much appreciated! (also, I should say what is not up for debate are the gold fixtures, those are for sure decided upon, if you have tips on how NOT to go overkill on the gold, and how to mix and match please bestow your secret tips!)

We have a 7x11ft bathroom, with the shower (4x7ft) on one end of it (there are some photos below to give an idea of the layout). Here are the tile choices we chose:

This one is called brit stone, it is a sandy matte rectified porcelain tile in 12x24 which will be used for the flooring and the middle wall of the shower (I have photos below for reference).

This is the polished marble porcelain look tile that we found and felt that matched well with the colour of the stone we picked.

Here are the two stone samples side by side.

Ok, so here are the three inspiration photos we were working off of:

This was the first photo we liked. Originally we were going to do the black white and gold look, but in the end decided it wasn’t very relaxing or spa-like...and as much as we loved the black tile, I was worried that the black hexagon was too trendy and might be annoying to clean as well. So, as far as the layout goes, our bathroom is pretty much this: instead of black tile, it will be the sand tile with the same niche layout design, and instead of the white it will be the marble look porcelain. I should also add we are also planning on putting double wall mounted rainfall shower head fixtures and lighting as well. I should say there has been debate about doing two handheld showers on sliding bars with two ceiling mounted rainfall shower heads and a recessed light in between them instead.

This photo is essentially why we decided to drop the black and white look. We just loved the spa feel and the sand colour, and so, to add to what we are taking from the first photo, we are going with a curbless shower with glass doors and gold trim. We debated about using wood wall tile, but were worried that it would get dated sooner...to soften the stone and marble look we would have teak benches in the shower (not built in), and an oak vanity.

This last photo is what made us gravitate towards using both marble and stone porcelain tiles. However, the accent wall is something that I am still debating about. I originally wanted to do the accent wall with the stone and smaller pieces of marble tile but my partner felt otherwise. He felt that, for sure, that would date the bathroom, especially since the marble shower walls would end where the glass is in our bathroom. Another problem seems to be that the stone tile we picked only comes in 12x24, so unfortunately that would make the accent wall much busier than this photo. It would be 8 tiles stacked high on the wall...and I’m not so sure the same contemporary would be achieved with smaller tiles.

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts about the niche, whether or not the shower should just be 3 walls of just marble or if the floor tile running up the wall is good (contemporary wise), and whether or not it's worth pursuing an "accent wall" as per the third photo.

Moreover, given that our shower is 4x7, and proportions wise is probably not as wide as the third inspiration photos, should floor and middle wall tiles be laid vertically or horizontal? Stacked or staggered? We are leaning towards staggered but remain unsure about vertical or horizontal.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Comments (15)