SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_white41

Coretec Cyril oak

kristine white
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of their Cyril oak floors? I unfortunately have to coordinate with some honey oak cabinets /trim, and need to see if would work. We are looking for the lighter oak color, so ciryl fits that..thanks in advance

Comments (71)

• sandimcc
    2 years ago

Gorgeous

• Dadre Garris
    2 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures! it is very helpful! We are considering this floor and will have natural clear stain alder cabinets.

• Steven Eng
    2 years ago

Good luck! if you have any questions, please let me know. My wife took a sample to the kitchen cabinet maker and he did a fantastic job matching the colour.

• mdfl
    2 years ago

For those who have installed- how is the variation (in real life)? It looks like there are many variations between planks in these photos. I bought a sample box and did not see a ton of variation. Wondering if it is the photos or maybe my sample size was not enough?

• Steven Eng
    2 years ago

Im quite happy with the variation. i dont know the exact # of unique planks, but there is variation within and between planks. i think our installer did a pretty good job with randomizing the planks. We were going with a cleaner, more contemporary look so variation wasn’t a huge priority for us so it may depend on your own expectations or requirements. We went with cheaper vinyl (1/3 the cost) in the basement rec/storage/laundry/utility room and rental suite, and it looks like there is no variation at all lol.

• mdfl
    2 years ago

Thank you for the explanation! In all of your photos- which do you think is the most realistic to in person? I feel like these planks photograph much darker than in person.

• Steven Eng
    2 years ago

great observation. I would say they photograph a litte bit darker / higher contrast than in person. it also depends on the angle and lighting. In real life they are a little bit warmer. Of the photos i took, i think the photo directly facing the kitchen during the day with natural light coming in from the right side (8th down) is probably the most representative.

• Wanda Reeb
    2 years ago

Does the Cyril Oak have any gray in it? I almost went with the Calypso Oak. But after looking at the sample in different rooms night and day. Think it is a little too dark. It looks like the Cyril Oak might me lighter. It is so hard to tell from the Cortec website picture. Going to try to pick up a sample tomorrow. Is it in the warmer tones or cooler tones? Does it look close to the pictures on here when looking at it in person? Does it look lighter or darker than the pictures when looking at it in person? Sorry for all the questions. Just having a really hard time deciding.

• Steven Eng
    2 years ago

Its a hard decision! i think we went through 5 different samples from cortec alone. Its warm, with very slight hints of gray (i think the gray comes out in natural daylight and you have to be looking for it). Probably looks a bit lighter in person than in photographs.

We had a sample of calypso but found it too rustic/modern farmhouse for us.

• Wanda Reeb
    2 years ago

Thank you. My husband thought the Calypso oak was too rustic for us. I went today to one of the stores I have been working with and he didn't have a sample of the Cyril Oak. I will check another store I have been to also.

We are older and have more of the traditional look in our furniture. And want to carry that to the flooring also.

Appreciate your response.

• Steven Eng
    2 years ago

No problem. Our store had to order a Cyril Oak sample for us. If you don't mind, do you have an example of what your traditional furniture looks like? (I can google it so you don't need to share any photos) I just ran your comment by my wife who is an interior designer, and traditional isn't the first thought that comes into her mind when it comes to Cyril Oak.

• Steven Eng
    2 years ago

Not sure if this helps, but my wife said medium brown floors are a safer option for medium brown wood furniture (although the floors should be a lighter brown than the furniture). The idea is to think in layers. Flooring - area rug - furniture - fixtures - textiles and how the colours/materials would work layered on each other. She didnt say cyril oak wouldnt work, just that a medium brown floor would be a safer option.

The lazyboy website for your sofa actually shows an image that is a perfect example of what she would recommend as the safest option: lighter brown floor, beige-ish rug, lighter coloured sofa, and medium brown furniture.

Good luck!

• Wanda Reeb
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Tell your wife I appreciate her help. And appreciate you both for taking the time to respond. Will keep that in mind and feel it will help me to look at the whole picture in putting it all together.

• Lori
    2 years ago

@Steven Eng Thanks for all your insight and pictures. Greatly appreciated. Love your kitchen! Just wondering if you placed your new cabinets on top of the flooring, or put your cabinets in and then the flooring around it? I was told that the floor needs room to float, so you shouldn't put the cabinets on top with the weight of the cabinets and quartz countertops. I have also bee told that it has been done in so many homes and there have been no problems. Confused as what to do with the flooring and new kitchen. Which comes first? lol

• Steven Eng
    2 years ago

@Lori Thank you! although i cant take any credit, it was all the wife.

Our cabinets were installed first, then flooring was laid around it.

• Angela Acrivos Harvey
    2 years ago

@Lori I had been told that also and that when it comes to LVP it could void warranty if the cabinets are installed on top of it so best to check with manufacturer warranty.  Note to check with your cabinet and counter installer on how to get any under counter appliances out in case any repairs are needed.  (I'm admitting how old my kitchen counter used to be but our Formica had a recess underneath so the counter actually had to be unscrewed and then lifted to get the dishwasher out

• Heather Kaufman
    2 years ago

Hello-how are the cyril oaks woth mefium sized dogs and scratches? also foe it clean easily?

• S Hunter
    last year

@Steven Eng Thanks for all those pictures! I’m zeroing in on Cyril Oak. Such a big help to visualize. Did you do the install? I’m curious to know if it will troublesome for my gc.

@Lori my cabinet guy (in business for many years) said we should definitely do the floors after the cabinets. Too easy for scratching.

• Wanda Reeb
    last year

I had a reputable installer to make sure it was laid per Coretecs requirements for warranty. They vacuumed after removing tile and carpet. They used leveling agent to make sure floors were level. I have a cement foundation living in Florida. Any cracks were fixed and leveled. Also put down a moisture barrier that Coretec requires for warranty. They did a lot of the work in the driveway instead of the house to keep dust down. And kept vacuuming to make sure there wasnt any dust in joints and on flooring while installing. I feel they did a top notch job. And know that everything is done per Coretecs requirement. I called Coretec regarding rugs and cleaning. They specifically said no rubber. Latex, or silicon backed rugs. Need a pad under rugs that is rubber, latex and silicon free. The chemicals in them will stain the vinyl and will be permanent damage. If left on floor will eventually stick to the floor and floor will be ruined. There are places that you can get the kind of rugs safe for vinyl plank flooring. Also no steam mops. No swiffers, and no beater bar vacuums. They told me to use a microfiber mop and Encore for mopping the floor. They sell it. I ordered it from Amazon. If you call them they will answer your questions.

• carissaho0515
    last year

Has anyone had a problem with cyril oak lvp ripping up her clothes? I would love to order it for my home but I hope it isn’t too abrasive.

• Steven Eng
    last year

@S Hunter The flooring company did our installation. I'm not handy enough to do it but I don't imagine it's much different than any other type of vinyl plank. You just have to make sure they put some thought into laying down the planks.

• Steven Eng
    last year

@carissaho0515 No issues here even if we're playing with our dog on the floor, but all of our clothes are a cotton/polyester/spandex mix. The floor is smooth but not slippery if that makes sense.

• Rachel L
    last year

@carissaho0515, I installed it myself and because I'm not a professional, and am an idiot, a lot of the time I was walking around in my socks. Dangerous, I know. Well fast forward, I ended up with all these holes in my socks. I didnt think anything of it nor did I link the holes in my socks to the floors until I read a post on Houzz about it. Go figure! I guess I'll be either wearing slippers or buying a lot of socks!

• LadyDIY
    last year
    last modified: last year

Is Cyril oak the thicker plank like the Grande Makkah/Lotte/Goldin line? I'm finding it listed as both 20mil and 30 mil wear layer on various online retailer sites. The Coretec website lists it as 12mm (vs the Grande line which is 15mm) but doesn't list its wear layer. @Steven Eng @Wanda Reeb

@Rachel L - are you talking about the Cyril oak specifically that tore up your socks? Is it painful on bare feet?

@S Hunter - did you end up installing Cyril? Any feedback on the install difficulty?

• Fern Leibowitz
    last year

What wood did you use to match the Cyril oak? I want to use a rift oak but I'm afraid it has too much of a pattern

• Steven Eng
    last year

@Fern Leibowitz

We used rift-cut white oak for our millwork/cabinets.

• Fern Leibowitz
    last year

Omg I can't believe it! That is what I was going to use and my decorator was afraid the pattern in the rift oak was too busy for the Cyril oak floor!!!!

• Fern Leibowitz
    last year

Do you know wear stain it was or was it a natural stain. Thank you so much for your response!

• Fern Leibowitz
    last year

What

• Steven Eng
    last year

@Fern Leibowitz i would definitely ask for a sample of the rift cut oak to compare before making a decision.

We took a few samples of cyril oak to the carpenter and he prepared a few colour matched stains for us to pick from. im not sure if it was a custom stain or something off the shelf.

• Fern Leibowitz
    last year

So it sounds like you matched the color of the Cyril oak. I was thinking of going darker.
    Would you be so kind to take a picture of your kitchen for me? I'm assuming it's finished?
    Just so I can see a closer picture of the the 2 wood grains next to each other?
    I really appreciate all your help!

• Steven Eng
    last year

@Fern Leibowitz

Sorry, got really busy but here are some close-up pictures with lights on vs. natural lighting.

• Christy Lovoy Harmon
    last year

Is there any gray in cyril oak? I am wanting a true french oak look. Thansk

• Christy Lovoy Harmon
    last year

@Steven Eng Is there any gray in the grain? I'm wanting a european oak look. My samples has very little variation of colors.

• Marie
    last year

Does anyone know how thick the wear layer is? 20 mil or 30 mil? Also, I have a baby grande piano that would sit on the Cyril oak. Has anyone placed a piano on Cyril oak? Does it dent? Thank you!

Marie

I found the specs on line: The wear layer is 30 mil.

ShadeLight

SpeciesOak

BrandCOREtec

InstallationUnilin / Click or Tap

Thickness12mm

Wear Layer0.76mm (30mil)

TextureSynchronized

Edge TypeBevel

Box Content 26.95 sqft

Unit of measure sqft

Box Weight (lbs)61.95

Planks per Box6

Plank Width8.98"

Plank Length72.05''

Plank Style

1- PlankStyle Modern

Warranty Lifetime Residential & 10-yr CommercialPad AttachedYes

• Steven Eng
    last year

@Christy Lovoy Harmon i dont see any gray. do you have a pic of what you are lookkng for?

• Christy Lovoy Harmon
    last year

@Steven Eng I ordered the cyril oak today. Thanks for the reply

• Joyce Y
    last year

here’s my cyril oak

• Steven Eng
    last year

@Joyce Y looks amazing!

• Dan Bits
    last year

Any suggestions on carpet to match Cyril Oak?

• Mi Gina
    last year

Love my Cyril oak. Looking to paint walls city loft sw anyone use this

• hartp_music
    last year

Current project. Has beautiful two toned look.

• Mi Gina
    last year

Love my Cyril oak painters are coming tomorrow and can’t decide a color accent wall is tricorn black open floor plan

• Janet Collins
    6 months ago

Hello! We are going to have Cyril Oak installed in our home. I cannot find this information, but does anyone know how many repeating patterns this style has (ie 8 different patterns per box)? Thank you!

• Dan Bits
    6 months ago

There are only 4 unique patterns but they can be flipped which gives you 8 options for placement. Hope that makes sense. You do have to call Shaw tech support to get this information as it is not on the product spreadsheet. Good Luck!

• Janet Collins
    6 months ago

Thank you Dan! Yes, I searched everywhere and could not find this information. Hopefully, the installer is aware and will know what to do.

• Terri Corso
    6 hours ago

I don’t understand how this material can tear socks. I have a sample on my floor and it feels very smooth. What exactly is tearing the socks? The wear layer is a sheet of vinyl so I don’t understand where the texture is coming from. Please explain.

• Janet Collins
    5 hours ago
    last modified: 5 hours ago

I have heard this and frankly do not understand either. We do not have any issue with this. My and my husband's socks range from cotton, cotton/spandex, cotton/polyester/spandex, etc. We have had zero problems. We love our cyril oak floor.

• Terri Corso
    5 hours ago

That’s great to hear!
    Can you post some pictures of your floor?
    We’re considering this color in the main floor of our 3000 sf new build. I love the brightness but I’m concerned that it might to have a red/orange undertones. Any comments on that? Also, the label says it has moderate shade variability but the sample and photo on back look quite homogenous. Are there any knots? What shade of white did you go with for walls or cabinets? Is BM simply white too white?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County