SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gizli_gizli

Adding a switch to existing under-cabinet lighting

Gizli Gizli
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I bought a house that came with hardwired under-cabinet lighting connected to a wall switch that's too far. The wire goes from under cabinet to behind the backsplash, follows along under the sink (where the driver is) and arrives at the switch some 10ft away. It is likely stapled in various places so I cannot rip it out easily.

The most practical solution (or so I thought) is to cut the wire right before the light strip and splice in a second switch. I can then leave the wall switch on all the time and use the under cabinet switch to control it. I have been Googling for two days and I can't find any helpful discussions/instructions on doing something like this. Every tutorial/article assumes I am starting from scratch.

I would prefer to have a motion activated switch (not a timer; wave for on, wave again for off) but a button switch would do as well. The only setup that shows multiple components wired together is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq8LQO2fq1Q but the guy doesn't say what the components are or where he bought them.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The driver under the sink:

Where I am trying to splice the wire:

Comments (9)