SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_richter97

Installer vs Window Dilemma (Andersen 100 vs Marvin Essential)

Joe Richter
2 years ago

We're hooked on a dilemma. Window vs Installer.

I have two almost identical quotes (about $10,500 start to finish) for replacing 8 windows (most are large---4x6 or bigger--- all are sliders) on our ranch style home in Phoenix.

1. Andersen 100, installed by a rock-solid, family-owned window/door contractor. Smaller company. Almost nothing but 5 star reviews (Google, Yelp, Guild Quality, BBB). Reviewer refer to installers by their first names, rave about the quality of work, and customer service. Everything about them says "top quality". Lifetime warranty on installation. They love Andersen 100's and install a lot of them. I'd go with them in a heartbeat...except for a bid for...

2. Marvin Essential (all Ultrex), from a very large building supply company that has a window/door division. Marvin just recently awarded them a dealership. They employ their own installers. Okay reviews...3.7-ish on Google/Yelp. No complaints from BBB, but not many reviews either. Very hard to find reviews specific to their window installations. I get the feeling like they'd likely do a fine job...but have the thought that it might be easy to have our job or warranty issues get lost in the mass of work that they do. They haven't yet done a Marvin window install...but they have orders. 2-year warranty on installation.

Neither dealer has given us a hard-sell.

It seems like the Marvin might be a considerably better window. We're leaning toward fiberglass and feel like we're getting a great bid---about $6k less than from an Infinity-only dealer in town. But have some nagging doubts about dealing with such a large company.

We also love the look of the Andersen 100 line...they look a bit more refined, and seem nice and solid. I think they'd be fine...but have the nagging feeling that the Marvin is a step up from Fibrex, from what I can find. But... I have more confidence that I'd get a great install and service from the Andersen contractor.

Any help. It really is down to these two...

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH