SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

Please, let us see some of your hoya leaves )

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I know many here buy hoya plants for leaves and the likes. I am starting to not just like them for for the blooms or fragrance, but here and there I am seeing some truly beautiful leaves on many of the one our friends have here.

Please share pictures of your favorite hoya plants for their leaves. I know many here have some truly special ones.

Please share them with us. I will start.

I am not sure of the names of some of mine but many I am starting to really like for color and leaf patterns alone.

Mike

Comments (51)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Those are really nice. I especially like the , well, all of them. Many of which I envy. You must be very happy wit those for sure)

• Tika Land
    2 years ago

Thanks Mike! I’m excited to see everyone’s pics. I’m in zone 7 but I have these inside. I have a couple in the screened in porch. Looking forward to see how they do outside in the humdity and heat.

• Related Discussions

"The Gathering of Succulents" Lets see some of your repots.

Q

Comments (66)
    2 lanterns-turned-planters (I'm calling them "planterns"). First one is going to be a work in progress for quite some time. Hopefully this turns out really well and isn't just a costly experiment. Thanks for letting me share!
    ...See More

Please, let us see your colorful plants of 'summer' 2018

Q

Comments (39)
    Thanks Josh, it's such a good feeling when things go well :) Margaret, that's a bowl of beauty you have there! I hope you are doing well and its not too hot there. I've never seen an Easter cactus so yellow! wow! Thanks Rockdale! Yup, I've been jade crazy for a while, lol! Found them many ways and it all sparked from finding this forum. I remember that fun of going to look for the 'Akai' and how ecstatic I was to find it and then show them here on the forum. I still have them and should repot the two pots of it below but otherwise they are all doing well. Yours look fantastic, and your tricolor is getting big, that's wonderful. Break Dancer Return of Beauty Denethor with hobbit leaf. Old tricolor -Nancy
    ...See More

Does anyone here use lights? Let's see your set up please?

Q

Comments (94)
    Yes, that is a very good point Tom. These lights are spread across two rooms and (2) 15a circuits fed by 14g Romex. I pulled the panel cover to confirm the max draw on each circuit was no more than 80% of the breaker rating since I am running the lights for 12 hours at a time. An interesting note per the NEC in the usa- residential breakers are rated at 80% of their nameplate rating when used for continuous duty. ( Continuous is over 3 hours)
    ...See More

Is your Madame Anisette bush flowering this year? Please, let us see.

Q

Comments (39)
    Oursteelers -- your photos show not only the beautiful blooms but also what beautiful glossy foliage this variety has. Sumera -- try Roses Unlimited: she carries it as an own-root young plant. See https://rosesunlimitedsc.com/ It is listed under "Collections -- Kordes", and I think it is under hybrid teas also.
    ...See More
  • Ellen Bshaw
    2 years ago

Here is my queen with a new leaf, just beautiful!

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Ellen Bshaw
  • stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    2 years ago

Love these! Here are some of mine...

sp, EPC-317

kerrii variegata spot leaf

kerrii splash

polyneura silver

vitellinoides

deykeae

pubicalyx Philippine Black

krohniana Super Eskimo (I guess it's now krohniana Silver?)

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
  • sunfleurpower
    2 years ago

Y'all those leaves are goals! My little hoya loving heart fluttered... Thanks for sharing!

Here are a few of my favs, I'm pretty much a solid vein and splash girl, will take variegation in the right situation.

Pictures are:
    Macrophylla albomarginata
    Pubicalyx
    GPS 8867 sulawesi
    AH-029
    Irina
    Carnosa freckles splash

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked sunfleurpower
  • Tika Land
    2 years ago

Ohhhh so pretty!! I love splash and variegation!! Great pics!! Thanks for sharing @stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a and @sunfleurpower. @Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) I don’t see yours??

• Denise Evans
    2 years ago

Some of my favorites. Michelle:

Vitellinoides:

Merridithii x crassicaulis:

It doesn't seem to want to let me do more than three at a time... It keeps kicking me off. So I'll do a few posts.

Denise in

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Denise Evans
  • Denise Evans
    2 years ago

More... macrophylla produces pretty bronze leaves that mature into a deep green. I especially like how it looks like I fine snowfall of silver spots with an occasional giant spot:

Pubicalyx 'Pink Dragon' has bright green perfectly smooth leaves:

I love the little textured heart shaped leaves of krohniana:

I'll try one more for now...surigaoensis:

Denise in

• Denise Evans
    2 years ago

I could go on and on... an old old favorite, pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' for its incredibly variably splashed leaves:

Another pub... this is our cutting that I took off of my 'Philippine Black', that's sitting in just the right spot to get beautifully sun kissed:

El-nidicus, one that has very rubbery leaves and has really grown on me over the years:

Denise in

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Denise, I can see where there is not even a need to get flowers after looking at these. No wonder you love them for their leaf shape, patterns, and colors. Love them all. Keep posting more if you have them After years of growing these, I'll bet you have a few or many more up your sleeve, Thank you

Sunfuer, amazing , thank you for sharing.

Wendy, that pink toned one is to die for as all the others. Just wow)

Ellen, thank you)))

Tiki, thank you so much for sharing..

2 years ago

Denise, I especially love that macrophylla. I don't see solid green ones very often. I also love Michelle :-)

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
  • Bill M.
    2 years ago

Sunfleur - I love the GPS8867 Sulawesi - it looks a lot like one of my noids. Has it ever flowered for you and if so, did you take any pictures? Tomorrow I'll post a pic of one of the new leaves on my doppleganger. Maybe someone on here can ID it for me?

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Bill M.
  • Denise Evans
    2 years ago

Michelle is awesome...when she actually has a leaf that comes to maturity. She's a real bitch when it comes to keeping her leaves. Maybe one in ten actually make it to maturity. I don't know what it is about it, because I've learned to be so careful around it. I will watch a new leaf developing from afar, never going near it, and a few days into it I'll walk by and that leaf has dropped! It's so frustrating! But when one does make it, wow!

Denise in Omaha

• iochroma
    2 years ago

Hey, this person is looking for an ID on a Hoya with a showy leaf

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6142533/can-someone-i-d-this-hoya-please#n=1

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked iochroma
  • Bill M.
    2 years ago

Here's a beautiful leaf on my noid which popped up the other day. Within two or three days, it grew and filled out perfectly. This morning I checked it and some slug chewed a huge hole in it! I hope the little bast@&d gets an upset tummy for it!

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Iochroma - I'm thinking possibly something in the latifolia family that's been sun stressed? Whatever it is, it's incredible. Hopefully someone on here with a lot more knowledge than me can help you.

• sunfleurpower
    2 years ago

Denise, that Michelle is gorgeous! Very lovely leaves!

Bill and iochroma, check out pics of Hoya PNG sv 432. The leaves on both of your plants remind me of it, with and without sun stress. Some kind of sarawak could also be a possibility with those veins.

GPS 8867 is a fairly new import, so no flowers yet. It's rooting nicely so I'm hoping that it's the beginning of a long a beautiful friendship. Bill, I see the similarities to your noid as well. You and mother nature just keep working your collective magic in the greenhouse and we'll have blooms in no time!

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked sunfleurpower
  • Bill M.
    2 years ago

Sunfleur - wow! That does look similar. One thing I learned when researching some of the noids I have, is if I post on FB, I'll get 20 different answers. 5 will say it's beautiful, 3 will say following, 12 will each have a different name, and they'll all be 200% convinced they're the right one. Sometimes arguments even erupt in the comments!! I'm convinced the plants do this deliberately, look alike, in order to confuse us. Even when they bloom, my flowers look like others flowers! It's very frustrating. Unless one has a botanist in their back pocket, who can run a dna analysis, I've convinced myself I'll never learn their true names, and I'm OK with that. I grow them for the sake of growing them and appreciate them for their leaves, flowers and fragrance. When I ask "who wants to get fed" they all respond the same, so not knowing their proper names isn't a big deal for me since I'm not selling them. That all being said - boy that sure does look like a match! ;-) Now I have to go and search for more pictures and descriptions. See what you've done? You pushed me down the rabbit hole again!!!! Off to search! ;-)

Different observation - outside my GH are a lot of wild growing milk weeks. I don't have the heart to cut them down because they feed the native bees etc. In the evening their tiny flowers smell very similar to my lacanosa, I guess because they're in the same family. The milk weeds are covered in bees, yet even when my hoyas are in bloom, no insects feed on them. It seems strange since it's the same family and there's tons of nectar. My kerrii is dripping like I left a faucet on, and other than me constantly tasting the nectar, no one else does. Hmmm? strange? Any of you noticed the insects don't seem to pollinate the flowers? I'd love to get some seed pods.

• Photo Synthesis
    2 years ago

One of the many perks of working in a garden center is that I have access to plants when they first come in. So I get to snatch up any that I choose. With that being said, I bought this variegated Hindu rope as soon as I saw it. It was the only one my store has received this season. It's definitely one of my favorites. Now, if only I could get some spare time on my days off to repot it...

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Photo Synthesis
  • Pepeuve Garcia
    2 years ago

hoya fungii

• Stacy
    2 years ago

Bahoi

Irina

Nong Nooch

Crassipetolata splash

Obovata variegated Splash

Clemensiorum

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Stacy
  • Stacy
    2 years ago

Bella Luis Bois

Heuschkeliana variagata

Kalimantan

Meredithii

Nova Ghost

So many..I love them all!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beautiful BEAUTIFUL everyone. I just love the pics. Please keep them coming. I will have a few soon))

2 years ago

New leaves on pubicalyx 'Philippine Black'

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You know why we are all doing this right ? Not to show off what we have or be nice and share . But to get ideas for our next plant in which some of us already have too much of. Lol.
    Wendy , very nice color

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Shhhh, it's supposed to be a secret Mike!

• Tika Land
    2 years ago

Beautiful leaves everyone! I love seeing all the pics 💚!! My sun stressed sunrise has a peduncle!! So excited lol...

My Callistophylla grew this huge new leaf. The veining is coming in

Caudata sumatra new fuzzy leaves

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

I only have 1 Hoya left from mistakenly treating them like cacti. The others I don't miss much, but I do miss H. curtisii. The little leaves were so cute!

This is H. bilobata. The leaves aren't much to look at but it keeps blooming, so I've developed some affection. All of the foliage is on the sunny side but I turned it to take a pic. The leaves are stiff and fake-feeling.

• denise_678
    2 years ago

Tiffany, your H. bilobata is beautiful. I think the baby leaves on this plant are cute. I like watching this one grow (though to be honest I don't know if mine is H. bilobata or H. burtoniae).

lacunosa: this little guy is chugging along- small, but my fastest grower

new leaves on my pink silver pubicalyx: the leaves can look so variable on this plant

• Brett Osborn
    2 years ago

My beloved Hoya Sunrise & Krimson Queen and their awesome leaves! ^_^

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Brett, I just love both of those. Good choice in the leaf colors))

Denise, very nice!! Good to see you.

Tiffany, you always seem to grow the most beautiful plants I have seen. I am hoping that once my begonia grows a bit taller to cut you a piece of it)

2 years ago

Thank you for the thoughts and kind comments! : ) I have an interesting selection of things I could send back in trade. I can't get snips of that Hoya to root but I haven't tried *that* hard.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tiffany. I have that hoya with vines with roots. It's crazy. The only thing I found is that it can be a mealy bug magnet. For some reason they only seem to find their way to that one. So I am on the constant watch. And can they rot easy if not left to dry out beyond what you think is dry. I love the brown and copper tones of the leaves too.

• Stacy
    2 years ago

I love this creamy leaf with white splash and a green line on a Queen.

2 years ago

16 days ago I had already mentally give up on this but it has taken root after all.

• Stacy
    2 years ago

Pubicalyx Royal Hawaiian Purple

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Stacy, love the leaf color on the Hawaiian purple. I have a plain publicalyx but come spring I'm going to look for a purple also. My plain variety blooms well and I love the red flowers, but the purple is almost black when it blooms, which is really interesting.

Yours looks great. I've found they are pretty fast growers too. I keep mine moist, sorta damp, cause it's still outside in a small gh. Next week I'll be bring them in and I'll start letting them dry out where they'll be watered once a week or so. Right now, due to the super chunky mix, they are watered almost every day and fed once every three weeks or thereabouts.

Best of luck with yours.

Not a Hoya, but here's an andersonii that is actually blooming!

• Stacy
    2 years ago

Bill, thank you. This is a propagation from my mother plant. Neither one has bloomed yet, but I can’t wait to see it. My plain Pubicalyx has not bloomed yet, either.

I have never fed my Hoya yet. I need to, though. Especially since they are having a growth spurt now.

Your Andersonii looks happy!

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

The andersonii was a cutting I removed from the mother plant, which I had tied to a post in the pot. The mother just grows, but the cutting which started out a few months ago as two leaves and some aerial roots, for some reason decided to bloom.

I have a regular monstera outside by the corner of my deck that I moved out in May. It's now so huge if my name were Jack I'd be climbing it looking for a giant! It's massive and heavily rooted into the ground too! Both aerial roots and out of the pot roots. I have no idea how I'm going to move it indide as it must weigh 40+ pounds now!

Boy how I wished I could live in a climate where I could grow all my tropicals outside year round. Hmmm? Maybe in my next life.

I think the brighter light causes some hoyas to bloom more. Maybe more light for yours?

Stay well Stacy....

• Stacy
    2 years ago

Bill, you’re Monstera sounds wonderful! I wish you luck getting that one in.

The tropics are always calling me….I would love if they could just live outside all year. I would love to make that happen in this lifetime!

The plain Pubicalyx and RHP are both at the top of my tent right under the light. Some leaves on the plain one get pinkish sun stress. I don’t know. Maybe they want cooler drops in temperature or real sunlight? The mother RHP needs a brighter spot for sure. I’m at my limit with space now, and once they all grow, I’m not sure what to do.

Stay well, also

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Stacy, that's the problem - once they grow. Along with the monstera, which I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, I have two dracinia fragrans, which bloom reliably every year inside, that are now over 7' tall. Short of buying a larger house, I'm at a loss this year for what to do.

Yep, I need to live in the tropics too.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bill. looks like you will have no choice than to give that [poor plant a HUGE haircut(((

I hate that too with my citrus too. I wish I could let them grow as tall as they would like. Ugh

With Hoya, it's hard.

You have to bring them in as big or as wild as they grow because all the flowers come off all those long long vines that could strangle you.

Have a great day

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Mike, it's something I hate to do, but it's going to be necessary I guess. The fragrans won't get cut because it's already setting flowers for this year. I did chop one a couple years ago and now I have four more small fragrans! I can't bear to part with them, so they'll get grown out too. I really enjoy growing my plants. Unlike people, they bring me peace and comfort. I enjoy fussing over them constantly, and they reward me with flowers. (now if I could get my wife to feel the same way I feel about my plants....).

You stay well my friend.

• Stacy
    2 years ago

I love how the veins turn red on Scortechinii (yellow). It’s on the bottom shelf and LED stressing. I can’t imagine what it would look like if I raised it closer to the light.

New Elliptica leaves and the splash is pinkish.

• Stacy
    2 years ago

Loyceandrewsiana may be my most favorite..large, veiny, round, splashy..

The new leaf in the middle is a little distorted as it was just a growth nub while being shipped...we’ll see how it turns out. I’m really looking forward to seeing this plant get large.

• Brett Osborn
    2 years ago

Here's one more: My Khroniana 'Super Silver' :)

PS: SO excited right now for my Gray Ghost and Undulata arriving in the mail! ^_^ 💌🌿

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Brett Osborn
  • Stacy
    2 years ago

Brett Osborn, that is exciting plant mail :) I hope they arrive soon for you!

They are both so cool looking. Undulata is definitely another of my most favorites and Grey Ghost.

Udulata lost the new baby leaf it shipped with but 26 days later it grew another and the new leaf has such a sheen to it. The camera doesn’t quite show it.

A month after that and it is working on another new leaf.

Grey Ghost arrived July 27th. It has a bit of off colors since it’s been in my care but it has a new leaf and vine coming, so I guess it’s ok. It’s a little harder for me to tell on this plant how I’m doing for it. Possibly afternoon sun shines in and I need to move it. I’m happy it has new growth.

VL9 is another I adore..

2 years ago

H. bilobata

• Brett Osborn
    2 years ago

I like the "confused Obovata" Tika Land. ὠ2

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    last year

Hi, Mike, how're you doing? Still with the plants, I'm thrilled to see.